General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Officially done, whats my car worth?

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2007, 01:24 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Revelation Z28
you know you can take the water pump to a radiator shop for it to be rebuilt. costs like $80-$100 i dont remember.
HOLY CRAP!? HOW much is a new one!?!? WTF?! Thats rediculous!
Old 01-15-2007, 01:25 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BLKWS.6
HOLY CRAP!? HOW much is a new one!?!? WTF?! Thats rediculous!

i dont know what a new one through GM is, but vatozone and napa are around $150-$200.

edit:waterpumps
http://napaonline.com/masterpages/NO...d=5&SubCatId=4

fuel pumps:
http://napaonline.com//MasterPages/N...d=4&SubCatId=2
Old 01-15-2007, 01:27 PM
Banned

i dont know what a new one through GM is, but vatozone and napa are around $150-$200.

Holy **** thats retarded. Why are they so overpriced!? The last waterpump I bought was for my GT, it was $76 w/lifetime warrenty. They die at 70K miles and overcharge by 2X...wow...way to go General! You have my wallet on the run! Might as well give chase and fully rout it!
Old 01-15-2007, 01:29 PM
TECH Veteran

Holy **** thats retarded. Why are they so overpriced!? The last waterpump I bought was for my GT, it was $76 w/lifetime warrenty. They die at 70K miles and overcharge by 2X...wow...way to go General! You have my wallet on the run! Might as well give chase and fully rout it!
our parts are fully recycleable because theyre made of kryptonite with a carbide core

well you have an LS1 meaning special parts=special price=special customer. same goes for LT1. LT1 water pumps are a little more than the LS1
Old 01-15-2007, 01:30 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,685 Likes on 1,207 Posts

Sorry about the bad luck. Water pump going out at ~80K isn't that bad. No too many water pumps make it much more than 100k miles. Maybe it would have gone longer with better coolant maintenance on the part of the former owner, for all you know.

Anyway, I hope you find happiness with the next car. I understand your frustration, but I just simply don't think you have enough vehicle ownership experiance to say that:

"This POS is just like every other GM I hear about, nickle and dimes you to death until you either sell it horridly reduced"

.... I've owned so many great products from GM (about a dozen of them) that have performed very well for what they were, in every way. I think you bought this car at a bad time in it's life. It needs some work, hell it might even be a lemon. Who knows. Either way, I urge you not to jump onto the mindless import stroking bandwagon that seems to think GM can't build cars. Truth is, cars from all manufacturers will break from time to time. What manufacturer do you think builds the best quality car? Maybe Toyota? LOL..... if you want to go based off of one ownership experiance, I could tell you some stuff about my former Toyota that would likely scare you away from that brand as well.
Old 01-15-2007, 01:30 PM
TECH Addict

Maybe you should by a bicycle, they have pretty low maintenance.

These are sports cars, things break. They cost money to fix. Im not sure what the big surprise is. Would you have kept the car if these things broke over time instead of all at once?
Old 01-15-2007, 01:32 PM
TECH Resident

It just sucks because you spent more time researching the car than anyone else on here probably and wound up with a really problematic car. But ive read several threads about how much you praise the ls1 and fbody over the fox and any other mustang basically except the 05. Youre on the forum so much you have to know that your case is really unusual.. And your 5.0 might be reliable, and it should be, its practically the same engine thats been used since the late 60s.

If you want to stick with Ford, why dont you get a mach1, youre in the same price range as an ls1 anyway and they are great for modding..

At least if youre going to keep the 5.0 get rid of those turbine wheels.
Old 01-15-2007, 01:35 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Ericbigmac83
Maybe you should by a bicycle, they have pretty low maintenance.

These are sports cars, things break. They cost money to fix. Im not sure what the big surprise is. Would you have kept the car if these things broke over time instead of all at once?
Probably, because I would enjoy the car in between instead of buying **** constantly. I mean, if your gf rags once a month, you live with it, if its every day, you dump her. This girl is getting dumped. Well, in all honesty, and truthfully. I probably wont sell it. Noone would buy a 77K mile WS6 for 15K so I am not going to be ABLE to sell b/c I refuse to lose money on this. Maybe you guys are right, I mean, maybe this is all. I pray to god it is. So far my birthday (tomorrow) looks to be pure ****. New pumps, school starts again, bah, shitty 21st. I hate birthdays, I always have, now I have a reason! lol.
Old 01-15-2007, 01:37 PM
TECH Veteran

if you do replace the water pump, make sure you gasket it really good. resurface the block mating surface with something more than a razor blade.
Old 01-15-2007, 01:40 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was wonderin when this day would come!!! Come on man, if you wanna see really really bad reliability, look at my buddies 97 eagle talon Tsi....ALWAYS problems, even now, hes had it for about 3yrs now and hes replaced the trans/clutch about a total of 3 times, and im not even jokin. Where did you get this car from before? He had OVER 8 owners on his car....and he wondered all the time why it had problems.....ah because people have used your car like an F'n amusement park!!!! It sucks when you geta **** poor reliable car, but f-bods are good in my book, and DEFINATELY better than any Ford, but each to his own
Old 01-15-2007, 01:43 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by NDFORSPD
I was wonderin when this day would come!!! Come on man, if you wanna see really really bad reliability, look at my buddies 97 eagle talon Tsi....ALWAYS problems, even now, hes had it for about 3yrs now and hes replaced the trans/clutch about a total of 3 times, and im not even jokin. Where did you get this car from before? He had OVER 8 owners on his car....and he wondered all the time why it had problems.....ah because people have used your car like an F'n amusement park!!!! It sucks when you geta **** poor reliable car, but f-bods are good in my book, and DEFINATELY better than any Ford, but each to his own

My car was never beat on, always garaged, and owned by a 40yo guy in texas since 20K miles. 2 owner car with a perfect car-fax and only 2 trips to the dealer under warrenty. Gas cap and gas pedal. Its just gotten old and coming apart.
Old 01-15-2007, 01:44 PM
TECH Veteran

yea, and the guy you got the car from, even if he was an older guy in his 40s/50's/60's/70's doesnt mean he never went and launched it or drove it hard. just look at the 71 yr old guy that smashed his goat at CA speedway on saturday.
Old 01-15-2007, 01:44 PM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

eBay has waterpumps all day long, national backorder?
Old 01-15-2007, 01:47 PM
TECH Veteran

id take it to say that this is a great time to get to know your car even more, lots of f-body owners love it when its time to do semi big jobs on the car. but even if you dont have adequate room/parts to do the jobs to me it makes it more fun.
Old 01-15-2007, 01:49 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

id take it to say that this is a great time to get to know your car even more, lots of f-body owners love it when its time to do semi big jobs on the car. but even if you dont have adequate room/parts to do the jobs to me it makes it more fun.
LS1 water pump swap isn't so bad; but the fuel pump?.......uh..... no thanks.....not without a lift. Call me lazy, I don't care.
Old 01-15-2007, 01:50 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by NDFORSPD
I was wonderin when this day would come!!! Come on man, if you wanna see really really bad reliability, look at my buddies 97 eagle talon Tsi....ALWAYS problems, even now, hes had it for about 3yrs now and hes replaced the trans/clutch about a total of 3 times, and im not even jokin.
I was waiting for that one, I used to have a 92 DSM GS-T. Now that was unreliable as hell. If you wanna bitch about reliability go talk to some of the people on dsm tuners they would love to only have the probs that you have had with yours. Also when my fuel pump went out on my laser it took a piston with it. That was back when I was 17 so I had no money at all to fix it and I just ended up parting it out. Just remember there is always worse things that can happen.
Old 01-15-2007, 01:54 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Another thing to keep in mind about the water pump..... if you get a new GM pump it will be the revised design from what came stock on your '02 car. You will need a new t-stat as well because the stock one won't fit the new pump.

Not sure about the chain parts store pumps though (autozone, etc.), I don't know if they still stock the old design or not.
Old 01-15-2007, 01:55 PM
Banned

yea, and the guy you got the car from, even if he was an older guy in his 40s/50's/60's/70's doesnt mean he never went and launched it or drove it hard. just look at the 71 yr old guy that smashed his goat at CA speedway on saturday.

No, the car was not beat on. You can look at it and tell, looks GREAT! internals look awesome, differential looks MINT! ect. ect. Every tech who looks at it/takes it apart says the same thing.
Old 01-15-2007, 01:58 PM
Banned

Man, I guess I will get all this stuff fixed and give the car another month after that. If she is still solid then, well, bad luck, if not, then I know for sure its curesed and must be sold.
Old 01-15-2007, 02:05 PM
TECH Regular

every thread you make starts off as "blah i hate this car i want it gone." then by the end of it you want to keep it for a lil longer. Make a decision.