General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

A couple general questions...

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2007, 09:56 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A couple general questions...

Ok, first question, is what is the difference between big block and small block? My friend and I have been wondering this for a long time. Cause some displacements come in both sb and bb, like 396 and 427, but some are only sb(like 350), and some are only in bb(zz572), so what's the diff? Also, what is a "stroker motor?" Like, if I swapped my stock rotating assembly for a Lunati 408 stroker kit, what does "stroker" mean?
Old 01-18-2007, 10:53 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

big/small block comes from the actual size of the block, for instance the older chevy 400 came in a small and big block. The small block having smaller pistons and more stroke the big block having larger pistons and less stroke. You can stroke a small block to displace the same as a big block but you can ultimately stroke a big block past the point you can stroke a small block. Its basically the block size itself. Big block is a larger motor all together.
"Stroke" means to change the actual stroke of the piston (up and down) creating more displacement by means of a different crank and rods.

Hope that helps, someone correct me if that isnt totally accurate or I left out something.