General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.
View Poll Results: What should I do?
Do I give him the money back?
0%
Do I give him part of the money back?
5.56%
Do I tell him, he had the motor for over a month, no Refund?
94.44%
Voters: 90. You may not vote on this poll

Poll: help me out with LS1....

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2007, 07:45 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

when you buy a used engine, you have to expect atleast a thourough going over. i would never buy a used engine expecting to be able to just drop in and go. every motor i have bought gets ATLEAST a new set of bearings, rings and gaskets. if not, you are taking a huge risk. i believe this buyer is suffering from a little buyers remorse. i feel it may be someone older then you and that you may be young. he feels he can bully you around, if not, you are being too polite with him.

lay it out to him plain and simple.

he bought a used engine, good chance it may have an issue here or there. you are sorry that said bolts head was missing. you did not try to mislead him in the least. let him know that you have absolutley no intention to refund him though you may be willing to help him with the cost of replacement of the bolt. nothing more. shavings in the oil? sorry, you will not help with the cost of rebuild. it is a used engine. and all used engines shed shavings, and should be rebuilt. if he wants to run your name through the mud, thats fine. and again apologize it came to that.

to be honest with ya dude. the way you are handling this i would be more then willing to buy an engine from you. fwiw.
Old 01-24-2007, 08:17 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

how much did he pay for it and how many miles were on it?
Old 01-24-2007, 08:46 PM
TECH Apprentice

No refund, even if the guy tries to give you a bad rep. you can still remark on his statement, as to what you tried to do for the guy!
Old 01-24-2007, 11:32 PM
teh PuRpL3z

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Caveat emptor.
Old 01-25-2007, 08:25 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by DrEvyl
Caveat emptor.
Ohhh, getting fancy are we
Old 01-25-2007, 08:30 AM
11 Second Club

no refund.It's been a month.
Old 01-25-2007, 09:28 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Ericbigmac83
Ohhh, getting fancy are we

LOL... my orignial post was the same thing..."Caveat emptor - buyer beware"

but then i decided to actually type something.

in anycase, i think the decision is clear.. over 30people think you shouldnt give anything.... its over. sale is final..... only 4 people voted for a partial refund, and of them, atleast one of them posted that he wasnt really sure if you should give anything...
zero people, out of the 100+ that read this, think he should get all his money back.
Old 01-25-2007, 09:31 AM
Staging Lane

Why don't you compromise and give the refund to me?
Old 01-25-2007, 10:19 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by LSXNV
when you buy a used engine, you have to expect atleast a thourough going over. i would never buy a used engine expecting to be able to just drop in and go. every motor i have bought gets ATLEAST a new set of bearings, rings and gaskets. if not, you are taking a huge risk. i believe this buyer is suffering from a little buyers remorse. i feel it may be someone older then you and that you may be young. he feels he can bully you around, if not, you are being too polite with him.

lay it out to him plain and simple.

he bought a used engine, good chance it may have an issue here or there. you are sorry that said bolts head was missing. you did not try to mislead him in the least. let him know that you have absolutley no intention to refund him though you may be willing to help him with the cost of replacement of the bolt. nothing more. shavings in the oil? sorry, you will not help with the cost of rebuild. it is a used engine. and all used engines shed shavings, and should be rebuilt. if he wants to run your name through the mud, thats fine. and again apologize it came to that.

to be honest with ya dude. the way you are handling this i would be more then willing to buy an engine from you. fwiw.

thank you for the kind words. I have always strived to be an honest, and good seller.

As for the buyer, It was a younger guy, I believe he is 17 and his father is the motor guy that knows what is going on. I myself and 23, and not a motor guy by any means.

Last edited by 01Camaro_SS; 01-25-2007 at 10:28 AM.
Old 01-25-2007, 10:42 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by RPM WS6
Honestly, I think you guys are being too easy on the buyer. After reading this part:

.....frankly, to even to suggest that you should give him a full refund after HE made the above statement, plus the fact he received the motor 1 month ago makes him nothing more than a big bag of douche. I think you have likely been too nice to the guy, and I understand that you want to keep your good rep, but seriously I'd tell 'em to go pound sand. Unless you expressed a warranty (either verbal or written) then what the hell does he actually expect you to do? Hell, he HIMSELF stated that it wasn't your fault, and nothing you did caused it! Guy sounds like he's trying to scam you, IMO. Maybe he found another motor at a better price and he just wants his money back now.....

I don't think that he is a scammer, I believe he and his father are good guys. So I wouldn't call him a "bag of douche."
Old 01-26-2007, 09:43 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 518 Likes on 374 Posts

Default Same here

A month is too long. No refund. Tell him to stop calling. It's over.
Old 01-28-2007, 04:54 PM
TECH Veteran

i wouldnt, if he had had for a month he could've damaged it moving it around, etc. Just keep the money, buyers probably the source of the damage
Old 01-28-2007, 10:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

Cool

Originally Posted by mycamaroSS
i wouldnt, if he had had for a month he could've damaged it moving it around, etc. Just keep the money, buyers probably the source of the damage

He was sitting on it a month, before bitching about it.

Anything could have pappened within dat time frame..........

Keep the green!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Negative on a refund........

Last edited by Kage; 01-29-2007 at 02:25 AM.
Old 02-05-2007, 04:01 PM
Teching In

Update.

So after this guy sent me multiple pm's, and even showed up to my house un-announed banging on my door at 9am waking/scaring the crap out of my fiance, he now tells me he took it to a local machine shop and said

he said he thinks it will need a new timing chain and gear also polishing of the crank,replace bearings,a gasket set and labor
but could not verify that there was any damage other than the broken bolt and a scrape on the timing gear. The gear still had all the "teeth" and the chain had no problems. Again, I am not a motor guy, but i do know that this engine ran like a champ, and never showed signs of a problem. .

If in fact the engine did have these problems, how would I go about verifying that what the machinest said is correct, and how much should it cost?

Thanks again to everyone that as already posted in here
Old 02-05-2007, 04:03 PM
Teching In

and before he came to my house and scared my fiance on a sunday morning at 9am ( i was out of town last weekend) i was thinking of splitting the costs with him....but now, I am thinking of taking everyone's adivce and telling him to forget it.
Old 02-05-2007, 04:42 PM
TECH Resident

Why the hell would this bolt lead to the crank needing to be polished?! And the bearings replaced?! Thats just trying to freshen up the motor, which is fine, but has nothing to do with the "problem" at hand. He opened it up, so gaskets are his problem. They were good when he took delivery! lol. If you still feel like being nice....stop it at this point, just take everyones advice.
Old 02-05-2007, 04:55 PM
On The Tree

Guy sounds like a jackass. He just wants to get out of the investment it sounds like. If you some how get talked into paying him, make sure you take it to a shop of your choice. My guess is that if he is an "Engine guy", he knows the guy who is working on it. He is just scamming you dude. Don't buy it for a minute. If he continues to harass you, maybe you should look into talking to the police.
Old 02-05-2007, 04:57 PM
TECH Addict

Yea dont pay for him to rebuild the damm thing, he bought a USED engine so of course its not goin to be perfect, tell him to leave you alone or call the cops on him
Old 02-05-2007, 05:12 PM
TECH Apprentice

Sounds to me like he bought a motor and decided he didn't want it anymore and found an excuss to ask for his money back. You have done more that your part and I wish more people were like you but the simple fact is he could fix the problem for a small cost out of his pocket he is just looking for a way out so he can get his money back. And I don't know about you but know one, not even my own family members come to my house at 9 A.M. banging on my door unannounced unless they are asking for trouble.
Old 02-05-2007, 05:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

I say, if he continues to harass you, file a restraining order against him, the exchange of property and cash is complete, no warranty, used part, "as is" etc etc....his loss!