General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

ls1s vs evos

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2007, 10:08 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 1fastz
I think theyre quick little cars.... i just hate how cocky the drivers can get..... had a friend of mine who has one that i havent seen in years move back in to town and he just thought he was the **** and was better than everybody before even seeing the competition.... He even got to the point where he was in denial when his car would lose...it was pretty pathetic.

I think its funny when my DSM used to hand some LS1s there ***, and they were the ones who were "cocky"
Old 02-20-2007, 10:42 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jimmy169
Actually imho a lot of the tune has to do with compression, ls1's have higher compression being n/a right? I'd think the ls1 has less room for error because of that, aspecially if you go with boost, that's why ppl usually get lower comp. pistons when they rebuilt so there's more room for error, the evo's come stock turbo and I think forged internals if you take a good look, they were made to handle boost from day one, maybe not to the extent some ppl are pushing them but I still would think there's more room for nock or error on their lower compression engine's than there is for the ls1...but idk correct me if I'm wrong. I know these ls1's can take a hella beating.
The issue I had with my dsm was ironic, the engine was strong as hell, gave me no issues, but everything else around it was falling apart...that's mitsu for you...
Even though I hear chevy isn't the most reliable, I still think they're more reliable than mitsu after all I've been through with my old dsms.
But it still dont change the fact that its still a 2.0 L and your pushing 500 HP, I helped put a 4G63 together those cylinders are small as hell, and when your making 125 HP per cylinder it dont take much for it to go BOOM, yea the forged internals and lower compression help but thats still a hell of a lot more pressure and wear on the engine. Dont get my wrong I love Evos and wanna pick one up as soon as I get outa college but in the end "theres no replacement for displacement"
Old 02-20-2007, 04:40 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Starz T/A 17
But it still dont change the fact that its still a 2.0 L and your pushing 500 HP, I helped put a 4G63 together those cylinders are small as hell, and when your making 125 HP per cylinder it dont take much for it to go BOOM, yea the forged internals and lower compression help but thats still a hell of a lot more pressure and wear on the engine. Dont get my wrong I love Evos and wanna pick one up as soon as I get outa college but in the end "theres no replacement for displacement"
Well...this is sort of off topic but sort of on topic...whats the displacement of those mkiv poopra's? Less than the ls1 right? I hear they record on stock internals is 900+whp, over 1000 crank...so with your logic (no offense I don't mean for that to sound like I'm offending you, just trying to make a point), the ls1 should have a higher record on stock internals, cause of the more displacement it has? My point is simply that it's not that black and white, not that simple. I think someone mentioned sheps 2.0l awd dsm in the 7's, then there's brent rau with the tube chassis rwd but still 2.0l 4g63 engine in the 6's, i know there are abviously faster v8's but it's not that simple anymore where displacement beats all, there are 4 bangers these days faster than a shitload of engine's twice to 3 time's their size, I mean just think how many modded v8's shep can beat with his dsm, that's not even a tube chassis car, I mean if there's no replacement for displacement then whats the deal with his car?
Old 02-20-2007, 04:49 PM
12 Second Club

the replacement for displacement is FI...
Old 02-20-2007, 05:36 PM
12 Second Club

I have raced many many many evos. Evo mr editions, evo 7s evo 8s and the story is all the same whether on the track or on the street whether minor modded, or an insane modded 10 sec one at e town that missed a gear, point is im bolt on LS1 and never lost a single race to one, for any ls1 to be weary of a race with an evo is a lapse in character and judement on that driver's part. The only 4 bangers that i think twice about or "size up" first are the Sti's, stock for stock in an auto 02 TA i got owned by half a car, when in my boys stock 02 6speed Z28 i took the same guy by 3 lengths, they have what it takes to keep up with us stock which IMHO makes them dangerous but not alot of Sti owners ive seen mod thier cars out.
Old 02-20-2007, 05:46 PM
TECH Apprentice

hell my brothers 98 regal with the 3.8 S/c, 3.4 pully, intake, exhaust, tune he ran a evo. They were both dead even. And his buick at the time wasn't really fast. LS1's wouldn't have a problem
Old 02-20-2007, 06:51 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Trust
Lol.
I think we're the only ones who caught that
Old 02-20-2007, 06:54 PM
On The Tree

EVOs are not to be taken lightly IMHO. I've been in Vanilla_Gorilla's EVO 8 and it can pull pretty nicely. That being said, I think it'd be a driver's race with the advantage going to the LS1 because of more wheel hp and tq. But, without much work they can really move out, so be careful with em.
Old 02-20-2007, 06:59 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Sas02TA
I have raced many many many evos. Evo mr editions, evo 7s evo 8s and the story is all the same whether on the track or on the street whether minor modded, or an insane modded 10 sec one at e town that missed a gear, point is im bolt on LS1 and never lost a single race to one, for any ls1 to be weary of a race with an evo is a lapse in character and judement on that driver's part. The only 4 bangers that i think twice about or "size up" first are the Sti's, stock for stock in an auto 02 TA i got owned by half a car, when in my boys stock 02 6speed Z28 i took the same guy by 3 lengths, they have what it takes to keep up with us stock which IMHO makes them dangerous but not alot of Sti owners ive seen mod thier cars out.

If your making what your sig. says, the evo's around here wouldn't waste their time with you. There is one running around here, white evo with a carbon fiber trunk, you may have seen him in video's, he's deep in the 9's, there's another with alcohol injection (ironically also white) dyno'd 500whp and change. Most of the other's have stock turbo's in the 300+whp range but nothing special, the dsms here on the other hand would also give you a lapse in character.

Most of the sti's around here blow something in their driveline before they can make any real power to be a threat, i can't count how many sti's I've seen at the track not make it down the track (dsms are just as unreliable though, if not worse, lol).

edit: Isn't there an evo here on ls1tech with a stock turbo running in the 11's, compared to your 12.4, I wonder if he "missed a gear" on that run.
Old 02-20-2007, 07:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Evo's will run good in the quarter mile, but they have to rev to 5k and dump the clutch or else they'll bog and leave slower than ****.

Evos and STi's were not designed to handle that type of abuse and I've heard stories of people tearing up their trannys, clutches, and diffs doing that ****. I'd love to have an Evo, but I wouldn't be drag racing, its a better auto-x/road course car.
Old 02-20-2007, 07:41 PM
TECH Resident

my friend juan has an evo 8. it is pretty damn quick. he has turbo back exhaust, fmic, boost controler, and race cams(hks i think). to be tuned by AMS next week.

he let me drive it home after an oil change so of course i had to pin it. ive never been sucked to the seat so hard in my life. i felt the front end lift like its takin off for mars. i cant wait for a ride after its tuned. then again, i cant wait for my DRs, and my 150 shot either.

dont take them lightly. you never know what the are running under the hood. thats a given on just about any car.
Old 02-21-2007, 09:47 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by jamesSS
my friend juan has an evo 8. it is pretty damn quick. he has turbo back exhaust, fmic, boost controler, and race cams(hks i think). to be tuned by AMS next week.

he let me drive it home after an oil change so of course i had to pin it. ive never been sucked to the seat so hard in my life. i felt the front end lift like its takin off for mars. i cant wait for a ride after its tuned. then again, i cant wait for my DRs, and my 150 shot either.

dont take them lightly. you never know what the are running under the hood. thats a given on just about any car.
true story, i know of an evo that runs 11.5s on full interior with only 2k or so in his car, and it runs 11.2 with the interior 75% gutted (dash and speakers still kept)
Old 02-21-2007, 09:56 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Wants an LS1
true story, i know of an evo that runs 11.5s on full interior with only 2k or so in his car, and it runs 11.2 with the interior 75% gutted (dash and speakers still kept)
Thats pretty quick. I saw an Evo run a 6.5 at the 1/8 mile strip in my hometown about 5 months ago! I don't even remember the speed but it was over 100mph. He had full interior, A/C, and a small stereo system. This, of course, wasn't your ordianry Evo.

Quick Reply: ls1s vs evos