General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Who has taken their cars on road trips????

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2007, 11:27 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

About six weeks ago I flew to Florida to choose my ex-Florida Highway Patrol 2002 B4C from three that were available at one dealer. He changed the oil and I drove back from Orlando to San Antonio with no problems. Well, the SES light did come on and I had to change both front O2 sensors after I got back. That was the first time I sat in an fbody and was a great way to get to know the car. Quite an improvement from my 1995 Caprice 9C1!! A brand new looking 1969 +/- Camaro came on the freeway and tried to road race with me somewhere around Alabama. He turned off. Pretty Camaro, but no match for a stock 2002 unbadged Z28. Others can choose to not drive if there are clouds in the sky but this car will be my daily driver. If you enjoy driving it, why not drive it all the time? Mods were added right after I got back.
Old 03-02-2007, 11:29 AM
Launching!

Made the trip from CT to Dallas TX about 2 months ago, driving from Dallas to Denver CO next week (then back to Dallas), and if I decide to move there then that same trip again. No complaints, 6th gear at 70-80 the whole way and lovin it. It was hard to fit all my stuff for a move in the Z, but I managed.
Old 03-02-2007, 11:36 AM
Launching!

I would do it...!!! i drive my car to NC and VA Beach a lot during the summer. 5 times last year. I am at 50,000 miles. Makes the trips much more fun and it goes faster. plus the t-tops are great on the high way. i will be going to the beach about 4 or 5 times this summer. I will take the WS6 every time.
Old 03-02-2007, 12:03 PM
TECH Resident

I have driven my car everywhere, sitting just how it is, 9", locker, 4.11 gear, cam. everything, i live in Huntsville, AL. have been to houseton, TX to get it tuned, only there for 6 hours came back home, been to NC. and more than 10 times had the car in FL. all over that state, atlanta, tn, and taken it on many many trips inside the state of alabama, drove it back and forth from Mississippi State, to huntsville, and then lived in auburn, al and drove it home everytime too.
Old 03-02-2007, 12:11 PM
On The Tree

Make sure the cruse works, and put your cut on cap on if you have one.

Oh yea don’t speed, its really easy to do
Old 03-02-2007, 12:18 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by JerseyLS1TA
Damn, some of you people are nuts. These are fbodys, not exotics that are worth a fortune, drive the damn thing and stop worrying if you get a small chip or a little scratch or put a few miles on it thats what they're for, to enjoy. I drove mine from NJ to Orlando and back within a week. Over 2500 miles in one week with no problems and I am glad I took mine, yeah I had to wash it to get the 1000's of dead bugs, road grime and **** off but it was worth it. So just do it, you'll enjoy the ride much more in your fbody.
I know it's no exotic by any means but it does have perfect paint, and isn't driven in the rain, so the calipers, rotors, wheels(and barrels) are practically perfect. I just don't want to undo any of that and then be pissed about it. I'm thinking I'll just buy a bra and go for it, make the ride much more enjoyable with the system, t-tops, and some *****. Other thing about rain that I don't like is my Air box is sealed to the hood(the hood even has a box so it's as direct as possible to the filter), so I don't know how 80mph and rain for 6 hours would work with the air filter. If I knew that there was no chance of rain I don't think i'd be debating it. Other thing is polished wheels are a BITCH to clean after they're dirty and driven in the rain.
Old 03-02-2007, 01:18 PM
Staging Lane

It looks like it boils down to whether you enjoy driving the car more or enjoy showing it off more. I'll vote for driving.
Old 03-02-2007, 01:27 PM
On The Tree

Once or twice a year up to Mnt Snt Helens and nail the best roads in Washington state at full tilt. Take the mt bike in the back and go mt biking for half the day.

Outstanding fun, and the car is just awesome.

I do the same or similar trip 2-3 times a year on the motorcycle also, but without the mt bike.
Old 03-02-2007, 01:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Drove from Cleveland OH to Dothan AL twice. Can't really imagine doing the trip in anything else but a sportscar.
Old 03-02-2007, 03:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 01pewterbird
I know it's no exotic by any means but it does have perfect paint, and isn't driven in the rain, so the calipers, rotors, wheels(and barrels) are practically perfect. I just don't want to undo any of that and then be pissed about it. I'm thinking I'll just buy a bra and go for it, make the ride much more enjoyable with the system, t-tops, and some *****. Other thing about rain that I don't like is my Air box is sealed to the hood(the hood even has a box so it's as direct as possible to the filter), so I don't know how 80mph and rain for 6 hours would work with the air filter. If I knew that there was no chance of rain I don't think i'd be debating it. Other thing is polished wheels are a BITCH to clean after they're dirty and driven in the rain.
I understand about all that, but come on just throw the bra on wax her real good before you leave and you'll be fine. The rain won't melt the car, no matter what the Vette guys tell you Give her a good cleaning when ya get back and she'll look the same as when ya left. It'll be worth it, especially cruising with the t-tops off in the summer Plus the chicks will like your car a lot better than a Jetta
Old 03-02-2007, 04:42 PM
TECH Senior Member

Cool

Vancouver to Toronto,Ontario twice, at least 5 to California, 1 time to Florida, and 4 Power Tours..... ...I drove Truck for 25 years...Driving long distances is natural to me...
Old 03-02-2007, 05:00 PM
TECH Resident

My gf took the SS to Charleston, WV back in 2004... about an 1100 mile round trip.

It took her just under 7 1/2 hours w/ a stop for lunch and one for gas to drive there at around 29mpg so it was pretty economical.

We don't factor the gas mileage on the trip back because her grandma had been taken to the hospital. Trip back took 5 hours with a pitstop for gas, Mt Dew and granola bars Pretty lucky she didn't get nabbed on the way back, I knew she was flying and just waited for that "Honey I got pulled over doing 120 and I'm getting arrested" phone call but it never came.

Overall I'd say they're pretty damn good cars for a road trip... assuming you've got 2 or less people. Definitely wouldn't want to do 500 miles in the back seat
Old 03-02-2007, 05:02 PM
Banned

im going to be driving from San Diego to central FL in August. Im looking forward to the road trip but not the miles i will be putting on the car. oh well.
Old 03-02-2007, 08:31 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've driven my car round trip from Phoenix, Az to Hayward, Ca 3 times and enjoyed every last one of them (even when I got a ticket on my 21st birthday). I wouldn't mind driving the distance again but I'm trying to keep the mileage on my car as low as I possibly can (which isn't going too well...lol)...
Old 03-03-2007, 02:00 AM
Launching!

Bought my T/A off eBay from a dealer in Houston and drove it all the way back to Minnesota (about 1250 miles). Bring a back pillow is my only advice.
Old 03-03-2007, 06:46 AM
TECH Fanatic

PaulC...sounds like my story.

Scored it on Eebay from Houston area. Wife and I flew down-picked her up at the airport. Drove around TX (San Antonio) then back to WI. I put almost 2000 miles on it in 5 days! Had a blast! I actullay put more miles on it in that trip than the 2nd owner did during his ownership. Thanks again to him 4 a great car and smooth deal!!
Old 03-03-2007, 09:51 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by PaulC
Bought my T/A off eBay from a dealer in Houston and drove it all the way back to Minnesota (about 1250 miles). Bring a back pillow is my only advice.
Thats what I was thinking, it works great too. I had to use one once I was on I95 for about 8 hours.
Old 03-04-2007, 09:50 AM
TECH Apprentice

Don't buy a car if you're not going to drive it. Roadtrips are the best! Rockchips will buff out if you get any, and everything else will wash off.
Old 03-04-2007, 10:31 AM
Alt
TECH Resident

I've driven from New York to Maryland several times in the SS and I don't think twice. Only time I had a problem was when it wound up snowing in Jersey and now I am in the market for a new rear bumper cover
Old 03-05-2007, 07:30 AM
TECH Enthusiast

ive driven mine from oklahoma city to atlanta...gas mileage sucks with 3.73's....but it was a blast....running with another camaro well over the speed limit