General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Has anyone traded an F-bod for a WRX STI?

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2007, 02:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A guy w/ the user name C.J. on here (lived in same town) did. Maybe he can come in here and give a better opinion.
Old 03-22-2007, 03:07 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by BrianMSmith
There's 3 dealers within 15 miles of my house! I'd be looking for a year old 2006 with for about $25k, at a dealer or private.
seattle = Subaru Heaven = treehuggers car = NO WAY IN HELL OVER SS

but do whatcha gotta do, family first!
Old 03-22-2007, 08:44 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i think i gotta agree with shiner on this one....the WRX's are pretty cool little cars...only rice car id probably drive...but i wouldnt trade a SS for one
Old 03-23-2007, 01:22 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i was lookin at one but insurance on an sti is actually more expensive than on a z28
Old 03-23-2007, 07:51 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

What are your impressions going from the F-bod to the STI?

I am considering swapping the 2001 SS for a 2006 Sub WRX STI. With a 3rd kid on the way, it would make the wife happy to have a decent 2nd car to haul kids, with all wheel drive for the occassional snow/ice here in Seattle.

The SS is pretty darn awesome for hard driving, eibach springs, bilstein HD revalves, subframe connectors, proper alignment and rear link setup. I'll probably test drive an STI, but I won't be able to drive it how and where I need for a proper test.
used cts-v ftw!
Old 03-23-2007, 10:10 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 2000badbird
yeah but it you will be a ricer now its an unamerican thing you are considering doing
Contrary, I believe than increasing international trade IS an American thing. Protectionism of US markets is BAD for US markets in the long run.

While we have lost some specific low skilled jobs to overseas, overall, the rate of NEW jobs in the US is much greater than those lost, and they are higher paying jobs too, due to expanding access to over seas markets, and rising incomes in those foreign markets (from selling more foreign products here in the US).

If there's a problem, it's with education and job training in the US. We currently have a serious problem with filling technical jobs that require college and Master's level of education and experience. Because of that, a lot of our highly skilled and information jobs are shopped to foreigners, and even going overseas to India and Russia.

Nuf said.
Old 03-23-2007, 10:33 AM
Teching In

If you've driven one, you should know that there is no comparing the two. A small turbo engine is crazy and fun to drive, but won't give you the feel of that torque you are used to.
Old 03-23-2007, 10:53 AM
Banned

Contrary, I believe than increasing international trade IS an American thing. Protectionism of US markets is BAD for US markets in the long run.

While we have lost some specific low skilled jobs to overseas, overall, the rate of NEW jobs in the US is much greater than those lost, and they are higher paying jobs too, due to expanding access to over seas markets, and rising incomes in those foreign markets (from selling more foreign products here in the US).

If there's a problem, it's with education and job training in the US. We currently have a serious problem with filling technical jobs that require college and Master's level of education and experience. Because of that, a lot of our highly skilled and information jobs are shopped to foreigners, and even going overseas to India and Russia.

Nuf said.
I think the average guy learns more from on the job training than college. You just need that piece of paper to get on the job. And the only reason things are being moved are for higher profits or to beat competition by lowering costs. Do you honestly think it is easier to run a company thousands of miles away, training workers in another country to do the job? Just think about it from the people who control it's point of view, what would make you do that? I think you should question what you read a little more. I believe outsourcing all will not work in the long run, and may have already hurt the U.S. I think it's is a balancing act though, we need to use it in moderated amounts, by keeping other countries poor, we ourselves can be richer. Just an expanded version of what is done in the U.S.
Old 03-23-2007, 10:58 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by JD_AMG
used cts-v ftw!

There it is.
Old 03-23-2007, 11:07 AM
TECH Fanatic

Nuf said.
Expanding overseas markets are taking away from a slower-paced America - you're flowing money outside the country period. Protectionism is not a bad idea in moderation because you're affording a living to the last generations of those becoming obsolete. If we were to keep pace with the rest of the world regardless of our own flock, can you imagine how many of us would be out of a job?

Our tendency toward a service-based economy would be the only thing left if we threw our money toward anyone who would tighten a bolt cheaper than any American would ask for.

This stuff belongs in SSU but I couldn't help it.
Old 03-23-2007, 03:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

Id get the Evo instead of a STi
Old 03-23-2007, 06:24 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My friend had an STI and while it's a great performance car it's not made to be a daily driver and certainly not a car to lug the family around in. On all but the smoothest roads that car just beats you up. I'd consider a regular WRX though. You can upgrade the engine to be comparable to an STI very easily just by swapping out a bigger turbo and bigger injectors and getting a tune. That's the beauty of turbo cars, bolt ons=huge HP gains.
Old 03-23-2007, 06:40 PM
Staging Lane

I can give you related advice: I used to own a AWD Turbo Eagle Talon with some basic mods added on. It was a beautiful car and certainly would give the SS a serious run for a short distance (from a stop). I traded it in on the SS due to the cost of ownership being pretty high, the valve tapping that was "normal" for those cars, and because it was too refined. It felt, sounded, and drove like any other normal car unless you were stomping the gas to the floor. Only at WOT would the boost build, plant you into the seatback, and get rpm up to the wonderful formula like whine.

Having owned a camaro prior to the Talon, I realized how much I missed it when I test drove the SS. The overall attitude of the car speaks even if you're parked. It feels more like a race car even if you're only driving through a parking lot. It sounds great at idle and even better at WOT.

I predict you'll get the WRX and absolutely love it for it's practicality and performance. Sometime within the next 5-10 years you'll drive a new Camaro and feel like you found what you've lost. By then you'll be ready for a toy anyway
Old 03-23-2007, 10:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by big reg
See my sig. I have never looked back. I also dont have kids etc.... As for the guy saying they give a run for the money. An STI needs a turboback, bc, tune etc.... to hang with a stock SS or WS6 below 110 or so. Now add an exhaust etc... to the f-bod and its over again. As for handling my f-bod susp is nowhere near stock but it handles on par with the STI. Different strokes for diff folks though. Apples to Oranges.

I got rid of it b/c the spoiler and hood scoop are hideous and the seating is too upright like im driving an Accord or Camry. Nice little cars just not what I was looking for. Not to mention the 34k I paid for it was the worst money ever spent. Should have bought the 04 Cobra I wanted.
Exactly, our cars do not handle as bad as people think. Especially once the crappy decarbons are replaced and some decent tires are put on. I think it comes down to physics. It's a larger vehicle with meatier tires which IMO makes it "feel" like it handles poorly compared to a smaller vehicle. Hell my old 91 Prelude felt like it handled better but I know better. You just notice the changes in force more because it's a smaller vehicle.
Old 03-24-2007, 01:33 AM
Teching In

The STi's are great cars for the money, and very practical, too. If you're looking at Subaru's, you might also want to take a look at a slightly used Legacy GT. Not sure if you'll dig the styling, but it has the 2.5l boxer and throws out 250hp. Plus, it has much more room for hauling the unexpected, and I believe quite a bit more safety features. I pretty much agree with the general consensus here that you'll be happier with the Subaru, it's just much more family oriented.
Old 03-24-2007, 04:48 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i traded my 02 ws6 in for an 06 wrx (not sti, wasn't looking to spend that much) It's a great car, but its not a ws6 thats for sure. I, Like you, needed to have a car i could drive in the winter, on dirt roads and such. Its a great car. I got it because AWD. But if you only really need it to haul the kids around, Just think of one thing. When you are always in the wife's car with the kids, and never take the STI out with the family of 5 in it, are you going to be wishing you never made the trade? My dad got a 4 door sierra in 01 so the "whole family" could fit in there. I think we have only all been in there all together maybe 2 times.
Old 03-24-2007, 06:34 AM
Staging Lane

Default I own both an 04 STI and 98 Turbo SS totally different cars

My solution? Cars are tools, and no one tool suits all situations, I don't believe in all season tires, and I don't believe in all purpose cars. Get both. Thats what I did.

My daily drive and Winter Beater is the 04 STI. Good in snow (as long as not too deep, with Blizzaks tires all around). Of course here in Canada where I live near the most winter closed highway in Ontario, when the snowbanks get high and the wind blows, You can't see, and it doesn't matter what you drive. They put the snowplows and blowers in the ditch. But for spirited performance driving in winter, excellent little car.

I don't have kids, and the wife doesn't like the STI (she prefers her Acura CL) the STI does beat you up. It isn't as practical as an SUV or mini van, but for the number of times I need that capability you can borrow or rent. It doesn't get good gas mileage, and I go through tires, brake pads and rotors, diving into the corners, bounced the car through some heavy pothole action, so need to replace another rear shock. It rattles and squeaks, its aluminum hood vibrates annoyingly, and the silly rear wing blocks your visibility, and looks like its going to break when in flexes down above 230 km/hr. It doesn't have a good throaty V8. But as an unmodified reliable daily driver I can thrash through rain and snow . It handles well, brakes well, (understeers too much), accelerates well. It parks well in the city, it's the best little car I've owned. Kids today think the STI is cooler, but I don't like kids, so who cares.

But I need a V8. My 98 SS has 480 hp, and 540 ft-lbs or torque, no comparison. It doesn't handle as well (yet) bilsteins and Eibach springs are just not adequately matched. It rattles, and squeaks too, but the brutish power of the turbocharged V8 are great. The sound, especially with the cutout open is like a crazed gorilla (the STI is more like a chimp). I upgraded to Brembo brakes on the front (similar to the STI) based on the STI braking. It could use better seats for the twisties (when I upgrade I'll get something better than the STI seats,which aren't as good as the EVOs, and others). The acceleration on Drag Radials is beyond what the stock STI can do. But the wife doesn't like it either (it's scary fast! Pure animal). I drive it to the local track, (2 hours away) ride it hard then put it away wet. The camaro is not what I would recommend in winter here (it can be done though, one of my buddies here did for years, just good tires, and rear weight).

So if you can get the V8 for summer, and find something else for winter/daily driving. Do that. If you I had to opt for only one performance car. It would be the Camaro, and a cheaper daily beater for winter.
Old 03-24-2007, 07:41 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I have owned more than one car for myself for 21 years. I will never go to less than two cars untill I lose the priviledge to drive. There is nothing more useful than a purpose built car or truck or van.

For safety and kid friendly, an STI would not be even on the list!

Spend your money wisely, find a well maintained 10 year old minivan, midsize sedan, wagon, small SUV. Keep the F-body.

Do all the math for real. Start a spead sheet with the real cost of everthing insurance quotes (not guess's) fees everthing! See where you end up.

Once you learn to do the math and set up a matrix of pulse's and minus's the decisions make themselvesl.
IMHO
Old 03-26-2007, 08:38 AM
On The Tree

I already have the Outback as the family car. I'll keep the SS for at least a couple years, but add the STI as a 3rd car for now which can take all 3 kids in a pinch...I take the Outback to my bicycle races, and the wife wants a car she can take all 3 kids in if she has to...can't do that in the SS. I also need the AWD to get me to work if there's a bit of snowing in the winter. Also, I can take the family out for ice cream and short trips and not have to drive the Outback...I'll just have more fun driving the STI.

The STI will help lower the mileage on the Outback and the SS a bit.

Then in 2 years I'll sell the SS with about 130k miles and replace that with a vette maybe. Then I'll have the Outback, a nearly brand new STI, and a vette.
Old 03-26-2007, 10:14 AM
On The Tree

I already have the Outback as the family car. I'll keep the SS for at least a couple years, but add the STI as a 3rd car for now which can take all 3 kids in a pinch...I take the Outback to my bicycle races, and the wife wants a car she can take all 3 kids in if she has to...can't do that in the SS. I also need the AWD to get me to work if there's a bit of snowing in the winter. Also, I can take the family out for ice cream and short trips and not have to drive the Outback...I'll just have more fun driving the STI.

The STI will help lower the mileage on the Outback and the SS a bit.

Then in 2 years I'll sell the SS with about 130k miles and replace that with a vette maybe. Then I'll have the Outback, a nearly brand new STI, and a vette.

Sounds like a plan!