General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Has anyone traded an F-bod for a WRX STI?

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2007, 12:11 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Has anyone traded an F-bod for a WRX STI?

What are your impressions going from the F-bod to the STI?

I am considering swapping the 2001 SS for a 2006 Sub WRX STI. With a 3rd kid on the way, it would make the wife happy to have a decent 2nd car to haul kids, with all wheel drive for the occassional snow/ice here in Seattle.

The SS is pretty darn awesome for hard driving, eibach springs, bilstein HD revalves, subframe connectors, proper alignment and rear link setup. I'll probably test drive an STI, but I won't be able to drive it how and where I need for a proper test.
Old 03-21-2007, 12:13 PM
TECH Veteran

STI would be fun to drive but...dude...your trading a Super Sport for a Subuaru....

One day your kids will be like "You had a Super Sport?!"...and then you will be like "I traded it in for a 4 cyl...."

Fun car, but I say no.
Old 03-21-2007, 12:17 PM
TECH Apprentice

You want to do what! I guess for all practical reasons considered, maybe. If you own another car that is kid friendly I would keep the SS.
Old 03-21-2007, 12:23 PM
On The Tree

I'm looking for overally satisfaction from someone who has actually owned both.

The SS is a great car, but what is the consensus on pure performance and ownership, considering every day practicality. I have to admit, I am practical as long as that also allows me to have enough fun.
Old 03-21-2007, 12:29 PM
TECH Veteran

Ok, I have not owned both. But I have owned different brands of cars and my LS1 is BY FAR the most reliable, easiest to work on, and offer the cheapest parts.

Good luck trying to get that from an import hard to work on(wires EVERYWHERE), and parts are imported.

Anyways just test drive the two and see which one you like better. Personally, If I were you Id get an SRT-4 instead of an STI
Old 03-21-2007, 12:42 PM
TECH Resident

Honestly, you might want to consider checking out a WRX forum for that question. That's where you'll find guys that switched.
Old 03-21-2007, 12:46 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by SHINER
If I were you Id get an SRT-4 instead of an STI
Good God NO. That's a front wheel drive car. I will never buy a front wheel drive car, and it's even uglier than the WRX, but slower and without the World Rally heritage and famed handling. I can't believe the Neon is anywhere close to the WRX in handling.
Old 03-21-2007, 01:07 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by SHINER
If I were you Id get an SRT-4 instead of an STI
coughEVOcough
Old 03-21-2007, 01:23 PM
Launching!

I say keep the SS and take whatever money it would cost to buy the STI (I'm sure the STI would be more than what you could get for the SS) and buy a sonata or impala. I rented a sonata last week and the are nice cars plus the V6 runs a 15.3 and not to mention a 10yr 100,000 mile warranty. A 2005 is probably pretty cheap. Just a way to have you cake and eat it too.
Old 03-21-2007, 01:58 PM
On The Tree

My dad is fixing to make that exact trade. The STI is a great car, its very efficient with half the engine it gives our cars a good run for the money and it handles better. I say do it, its a really fun car to drive i doubt you will regret it and when you're a dad im pretty sure you have to take the family into consideration, I personally wouldnt know but i dont think your kids will be upset now or later.
Old 03-21-2007, 02:18 PM
On The Tree

I wouldn't, but you can't argue with practicality
Old 03-21-2007, 02:19 PM
Banned

I can't see why it's not a bad swap...besides the fact that it's not Chevy. Both are fun cars...but sometimes you have to compromise what you want for something else. In this case you need the extra room/better handling with AWD for the family and IMO the family is more important than a car. Gotta get something for everybody!
Old 03-21-2007, 04:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I am pretty sure you have to hand your ***** to the subaru dealership when you buy one of those....thats if you can find a subaru dealership.
Old 03-22-2007, 10:50 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by ICEMAN 31
I am pretty sure you have to hand your ***** to the subaru dealership when you buy one of those....thats if you can find a subaru dealership.
There's 3 dealers within 15 miles of my house! I'd be looking for a year old 2006 with for about $25k, at a dealer or private.
Old 03-22-2007, 10:55 AM
On The Tree

i like sti's there bad ***, id buy one esp. since you got kids but thats because i wouldnt ever let lil kids in my ss...lol, but i was thinking about doing the same transfer let me know how you like it if you get it ...
Old 03-22-2007, 12:29 PM
On The Tree

The STI is a great bang for the buck performance wise and dare I say pretty particle for the performance minded driver looking for a family car. Right now I myself am looking for a more particle daily driver and have pretty much narrowed it down to an Audi S4 or an STI. I’m still keeping my WS6 for the summer months though. If you live in an area that has the potential for ice and snow and need 4-doors, but still want a car with some wabos, then an AWD turbo sedan is a wise choice.

I personally would be looking for a less expensive family sedan, but if you can’t afford both the family sedan and the SS than an STI is a good choice for both fun and practicality.
Old 03-22-2007, 01:42 PM
TECH Apprentice

The STI's are nice cars, practical too espically for the reasons you're having to consider. If you have another car to haul the family with, that'd be great, but I'm guessing not, thus the whole point here. If it's possible how about trying to find a sedan/suv or something not too too expensive that you can use for that? I'm sure the STI is a fun car but I think the switch FROM your SS will take somewhat of a hit.
Old 03-22-2007, 01:52 PM
TECH Resident

See my sig. I have never looked back. I also dont have kids etc.... As for the guy saying they give a run for the money. An STI needs a turboback, bc, tune etc.... to hang with a stock SS or WS6 below 110 or so. Now add an exhaust etc... to the f-bod and its over again. As for handling my f-bod susp is nowhere near stock but it handles on par with the STI. Different strokes for diff folks though. Apples to Oranges.

I got rid of it b/c the spoiler and hood scoop are hideous and the seating is too upright like im driving an Accord or Camry. Nice little cars just not what I was looking for. Not to mention the 34k I paid for it was the worst money ever spent. Should have bought the 04 Cobra I wanted.
Old 03-22-2007, 02:06 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Rafeekee
I can't see why it's not a bad swap...besides the fact that it's not Chevy. Both are fun cars...but sometimes you have to compromise what you want for something else. In this case you need the extra room/better handling with AWD for the family and IMO the family is more important than a car. Gotta get something for everybody!
Um... technically (sp) it is. Remeber that GM use to own a large portion of Subaru. Thats why one the the Saab models (I forget which one) is essentially a WRX. Really the reason that Subaru is here is because GM wanted it here (IIRC).
Old 03-22-2007, 02:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

yeah but it you will be a ricer now its an unamerican thing you are considering doing