General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Route 66

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2007, 06:10 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation

Originally Posted by 2001NBMZ28
Most of it's gone now - replaced by interstate. Used to be cool, there even was a TV show "Route 66" with a couple guys traveling it in a Corvette. Did it with my dad driving from Chicago to San Francisco - in a '55 DeSoto...many, many, many years ago - when I wasn't old enough to buy a popsicle.
70-80% is still there...it is mostly on the south side of INTERSTATE 40----it is now mostly a feeder road to properties/farms....been back and forth 4 times...RT.66 is best in California....alot is still fine in Oklahoma....get a bit farther East and it gets worse because of crap weather..it is fine to drive less than 40-50mph for probably 60% of the route...Power Tour 2000 went west along I-40...PT '01 went East along I-40.
Old 03-27-2007, 06:16 PM
Coy
TECH Fanatic

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

It goes through my home town (Granite City/Mitchell, IL), right before It crosses the Chain of Rock Bridge.

Also it parallels hwy 40. I didn't really care or notice till I stopped at a gas station in New Mexico and found a group of people who were actively following it.
Old 03-27-2007, 06:32 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Coy
It goes through my home town (Granite City/Mitchell, IL), right before It crosses the Chain of Rock Bridge.

Also it parallels hwy 40. I didn't really care or notice till I stopped at a gas station in New Mexico and found a group of people who were actively following it.
Lot's of history...and LOTS of Route 66 Museums......our favorite one is in ELK CITY, Oklahoma. It was a stop on PT.2000 ..they shut down the town basically, gave us the park, and shut down the side road for about 1 1/2 hours for scheduled burnouts.....and we went through it in PT. '02. Most I spoke with were dissapointed not to have stayed there overnight again.[although Elk City is actually on the north side of I-40]
Old 03-27-2007, 06:40 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Hypnotiq
For some reason random deaths makes me laugh.. I mean what would you do if you was driving down this highway and all the sudden an oncomming car just self combusts and you just read this post and thought "wow that must be the random deaths that guy was talking about"... lmao ppl dying isnt funny of course.. just the thought of random cars self combusting as you drive by.. of course if i seen that i would turn off the next road i seen...
Well,..thats what the road is known for.
Old 03-27-2007, 09:55 PM
TECH Apprentice

hahh yea never pick up a hitchhiker on 66. theres plenty of small towns along the way, they'll be fine. it is kinda sad all these towns are goin to ***** because of all the highways, but i like the fact i live in a small town, it's always fun too see people come by in their hotrods.