General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

My Anti-K&N Rant

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2007 | 09:35 PM
TECH Enthusiast

K&N=to each there own

I personally don't use them because where I live(I should say use to live) there's just to much damn dirt in the air. I use to live on a dirt road so you can only imagine all the dirt my filter use to collect. I'd say I was changing my filter every 5k although the $ might have added up, it's just eaiser every 5k to go to autozone and pick a new one up and drop it in.
Old 03-27-2007 | 10:08 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Ls1CamaroGuy87
Im running a fram paper filter, do those have good reputation?
Like I said all paper filters are exactly the same. Just a different color.

Originally Posted by unit213
You've now come full circle. You're arguing with yourself.

I noticed that too.
Old 03-27-2007 | 10:12 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by unit213
You've now come full circle. You're arguing with yourself.

haha he himself
Old 03-27-2007 | 11:26 PM
Tech Resident

Originally Posted by TheSilverOne
haha he himself
i fail to see how. please explain.

hypocrisy - a pretense of having a virtuous character, moral or religious beliefs or principles, etc., that one does not really possess.

i'm pretty consistent with what i say. you could use a lot of words to describe me, but hypocrite would be a poor choice. just because unit says something doesn't mean you should all jump on the bandwagon. it's not going to gain you any brownie points to act as though his word is gospel, especially when his comment was empty and in jest.

Last edited by ChocoTaco369; 03-27-2007 at 11:34 PM.
Old 03-27-2007 | 11:56 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369
i fail to see how. please explain.

hypocrisy - a pretense of having a virtuous character, moral or religious beliefs or principles, etc., that one does not really possess.

i'm pretty consistent with what i say. you could use a lot of words to describe me, but hypocrite would be a poor choice. just because unit says something doesn't mean you should all jump on the bandwagon. it's not going to gain you any brownie points to act as though his word is gospel, especially when his comment was empty and in jest.
Meh, I shall remain silent here. If UNIT IS! wrong then he has enough money to change the laws of the universe and make himself right.
Old 03-28-2007 | 12:00 AM
TECH Fanatic

Wow, this thread is getting out of control...
Old 03-28-2007 | 12:17 AM
TECH Veteran

K&N for a race car. Normal filter for a normal car.

They make an alternative to completely removing the filter yet not risking sucking in large debris on a motor which isn't going to last long enough to be destroyed by small debris. Big difference? No! Does taking your jack and spare tire out make a big difference? I bet a lot of you do that.
Old 03-28-2007 | 12:22 AM
TECH Addict

Paper FTW!!!
Old 03-28-2007 | 12:23 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by 2002_Z28_Six_Speed
K&N for a race car. Normal filter for a normal car.

They make an alternative to completely removing the filter yet not risking sucking in large debris on a motor which isn't going to last long enough to be destroyed by small debris. Big difference? No! Does taking your jack and spare tire out make a big difference? I bet a lot of you do that.
I dont...

...on the other hand my friend had a DD civic that he never ran a filter on. 2 years later it was still doing fine. Blind luck? Sure. Was the motor the happiest with it? Prolly not...never failed him though.
Old 03-28-2007 | 12:27 AM
Tech Resident

Originally Posted by BLKWS.6
Meh, I shall remain silent here. If UNIT IS! wrong then he has enough money to change the laws of the universe and make himself right.
unit is just poking at me he doesn't mean anything by it. it's just annoying when you see a moderator say something, then 9 people quote him and give him a virtual ******* with the compliments. it really gets old and it's honestly borderline pathetic.

a K&N filter is simply a personal preference. however, you can't argue with facts. facts state that the K&N is good for virtually no gain (give or take 0.5-1 horsepower), but it filters significantly less than a paper filter. IMO, all you are doing is adding wear and tear to your engine with no positive effects. even if the wear and tear is minimal, it's still wear and tear with no positive effects. of course, you're going to get the K&N fanboys in here yelling and calling you names because they spent $60 on a filter, but that's fine, that's expected. sometimes you just have to expect being flamed, but with all the false information floating out there on the internet - and we're all guilty of this at some point - you have to get the truth out there somewhere. the truth is, the K&N air filter really doesn't do much in the way of making power, but filters very poorly compared to paper filters.
Old 03-28-2007 | 02:07 AM
Launching!

if K&N is good enough for apache attack helocopters its good enough for me. Now I dont no if theres any truth to this but i have heard this before dont no where. anyways i feel like a moron for reading this thread
Old 03-28-2007 | 02:20 AM
TECH Fanatic

i just wasted 5 min of my life reading 4 pages of garbage......i want those 5 min back!
Old 03-28-2007 | 04:36 AM
TECH Fanatic

Im all about the K&N in boosted applications. You cant find a drop in paper filter that will feed a turbo like a open element K&N.