General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

So does it drive anyone else mad when...

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2007, 10:22 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 74 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by Pretyflywiteguy
"Nice camaro! 5 speed?"

i got that the other day when i was walking into advance..

Were you driving the car in your sig at the time??? If so then that is scary-Most guys at advance don't know jack but common.
Old 04-03-2007, 10:27 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Ya im sure i look like a dumbass whenever i talk to my honda buddies. Im like so wtf is Vtec?? Is it like and extra valve that opens or something?? I had no clue til he told me.
Old 04-03-2007, 10:31 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

haha we had a cop over at the house when it got broken into, he procedes to ask me about my car.

cop "That thing have a V8?"

me "...yeah"

cop "Haul some ***?"

me "yeah it's pretty quick"

cop "What kind of v8 is it?"

me "It's a 5.7l LS1 motor... it's the same kind that comes in a C5 Vette" (just to make it simple to understand)

cop "Oh, so that's like a 351w?"

me "...well it's a 346" (lol)

cop "Yeah, must haul some *** alright"

me "it's pretty quick... at the track" and all my buddies started laughing

cop "oh yeah, sure"
Old 04-03-2007, 10:34 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by markzeronine
cop "Yeah, must haul some *** alright"

me "it's pretty quick... at the track" and all my buddies started laughing

cop "oh yeah, sure"
haha yea I have to add that "at the track" part when Im around my parents and **** too, its funny Ill be tellin a story to someone and my mom will walk in and be like "yea I raped this mustang by like 4 cars at like 140.......at the track... and she just rolls her eyes at me
Old 04-03-2007, 02:36 PM
TECH Addict

I work at Advance, and i must say, the other counter men have been given the hip-pocket class on the LS1...they know whats up.
I'm glad that so many others share my discontent over the ignorance of others. Yesterday i had a guy at the driving range tell me all about his 99 f body. How he put a SS ecu in it... I gave him a very light schooling on how the only thing in common with a small block is that it has 8 pistons and uses spark plugs. Poor guy, he thought he was going to rebuild it just like he had rebuilt a few small blocks (though i doubt he ever had).

I kinda feel bad tellin all the old truck guys that they do not, in fact, have a 327 in their Z71. I think i am going to stop that though, they leave with such a sad look on their face, like i just killed their dog. So, instead, if they're LS ignorant, then yes I will sell them small block rebuild kits and HEI distributors ALL FREAKIN DAY LONG until one of them wakes up and spreads the word to all of their other non-believing friends.
Old 04-03-2007, 04:45 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by speedfreak440
Were you driving the car in your sig at the time??? If so then that is scary-Most guys at advance don't know jack but common.

yeah.. and fbodies are common around here

i told him "nope it's a cobra" gave me a weird look and i just went into the store.
Old 04-03-2007, 04:58 PM
11 Second Club

Default lol

Originally Posted by 2000badbird
yeah that makes me sick "its a 5.7 by a gay *** metric system" so does

formulas are slower

should have bought a ws6 they are way faster

trans ams are better cars

you should have bought an m6 they are so much faster

yeah a a4 is gay m6 is the only way to go

i get of sick of it i even get some of those by ls1 owners. well line up with a similar modded a4 car with a stall and gears and see who wins
my wife uncle is a car dealer.he got this 96 formula at an auction well he had everyone in her family beleiving because it had formula on the side of it that it had a 400hp formula 1 race engine.well me being the smart *** i am went up popped the hood scratched my head and said hmmm looks like a plain old lt1 to me,lol god was that car ragged out.he said no its not it has 400 hp and a chip that makes it 405 the guy that sold it said so.
Old 04-03-2007, 04:59 PM
TECH Addict

We've got some real vehicles at my store:
- '65 Mustang Fastback w/ 9" 3.70 detroit locker, top loader 4spd, 302 H/C solid lifter, paxton 8lb blower. Daily driver - runs mid sevens in the 1/8th.
- '72 Bronco w/ H/C 302. 37's 4.56 Detroit locker in the rear, detroit LS up front. C4 Auto trans.

There is a lot of car knowledge at this store. There was at one time a turbo nissan 280sx that ran 8's in the 8th. Another guy is a regular in the dirt track scene with his own racecar.

I've given a lot of people a new perspective on the LS1. The current CarCraft 6.0 hotcam build has people blown away!
Old 04-03-2007, 05:00 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by FL Junkie
yeah ive had the tree fiddy conversation with lots of people. just save yourself the trouble and say "yeah its a 350." if they go deeper into the subject the explain its a 346 and has (over) 345 hp stock.
then when the old guy asks how big of a jet you put in the carb, just drop the conversation...lol

Same thing here! I pulled up to a younger kid about my age in an early SN95 Mustang GT and shot him a little rev. He looked over at me, got a big grin on his face, and said "No way man, you'd kill me! That thing has a 350 right?"

I paused for a second, than said "Yeah" and drove off...

The best one I've heard was from my stepdaughters dad. I had just bought my SS and he wanted to come over and check it out. Of course he loved it, and was going on about it, and then procedds to say:

"I'm the kind of guy that if it's a Camaro it better be and SS and if it's a Mustang it better be a Cobra."

I just thought to myself "Yeah I bet you are that kind of guy."

I get the 5-speed probably more than anything, but it doesn't bother me. I usually just say "No it's a six-speed actually." And for some reason they just act impressed.
Old 04-03-2007, 05:00 PM
TECH Addict

I think they'll get another respect for my car when i get the hotcam in it.
Old 04-03-2007, 07:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by KurtRardin
I kinda feel bad tellin all the old truck guys that they do not, in fact, have a 327 in their Z71. I think i am going to stop that though, they leave with such a sad look on their face, like i just killed their dog. So, instead, if they're LS ignorant, then yes I will sell them small block rebuild kits and HEI distributors ALL FREAKIN DAY LONG until one of them wakes up and spreads the word to all of their other non-believing friends.
That is some funny **** there man. I think I just bought a new keyboard thanks to you and Gatorade.
Old 04-03-2007, 08:55 PM
TECH Addict

Im serious!
Old 04-03-2007, 08:58 PM
TECH Addict

Because what do I know? Im just the counterman.
Old 04-03-2007, 09:02 PM
12 Second Club

I've gotten the "Do you have the performance chip?" line a couple of times. When I say no they look at me in disgust as if my car is a piece of ****. Even though ls1's have no "chip."
Old 04-03-2007, 09:24 PM
On The Tree

I've heard. "You'll smoke him that's just a V6" Until I pull away from them like a Saturn V Rocket then, "Formula V8" is staring them right in the face.

I actually got this from a "mechanic" "You need a new set of coil packs"

..."You should throw an MSD Box on it, it'll haul some *** then"

...."my 90 Sierra has that same exact motor"

Last edited by 1FstFormulaV8; 04-03-2007 at 09:30 PM.
Old 04-03-2007, 09:41 PM
10 Second Club

I have "G2" stickers on the side of my car instead of Z28, Thanks Louis G. I have so many people ask me what kind of option package that is. I just laugh and say it's a 1 off custom turn key car from LG motorsports with a price tag of $50k. They just give me the deer in the head lights look.

I then correct them and just tell them it's a logo for LG Motorsports and one of the guys at the shop owned the car before I did and I have never taken the stickers off the car.
Old 04-03-2007, 10:15 PM
TECH Addict

I've been meaning to call up someone in the appropriate department at Advance and tell them to change all the 5.7 liters to say 346 instead of 350 in our computers. My eye twitches every time I select what engine a corvette or Fbody has. Blasphemy!
Old 04-03-2007, 10:24 PM
TECH Apprentice

It's seriously surprising when some people think it's a 350. I had to have my catback put on, and when the guy was putting me and my car info into the computer he goes "5.7L...that's a 350 right?" I said, "No, it'd a 346." and he asks me if I was sure about that one

I also hate these:
-why didn't you get a m6?
-you should have gotten a trans am
-I bet you don't drive it to it's full potential (please... )
-You should put a chip in it.
-get chrome wheels
-you should get a SS hood
-the SS is better.

etc etc... what can ya do though. It's to the point where I just nod and smile and let people continue their ignorance. Not my problem.
Old 04-03-2007, 10:28 PM
TECH Addict

I also like how no one who knows what an LS engine is seems to think that they're worthless. Like if they were to build an engine they would scower the junkyards looking for that ol' 4 bolt main 350 that you could buy parts for at WinDixie, then dump $4000 in it to make a blistering 390hp.......All the while passing up countless 6 bolt main 6.0s that are capable of 600hp with a $750 set of L92 heads, a carb setup (which is the best for hotrodding because everyone knows fuel injection is worthless and not dependable, and doesnt have double pumper written on it anywhere and doesnt have things to go adjust), and a $385 cam. Why would anyone want that? All I can say is keep on lookin for that 4 bolt main good buddy. Keep your nasty little undeserving fingers off my six liters!!!
Old 04-03-2007, 10:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by kyle91z28
I've gotten the "Do you have the performance chip?" line a couple of times. When I say no they look at me in disgust as if my car is a piece of ****. Even though ls1's have no "chip."
I got asked by a lady at our local cruise in last night, "Is that thing chipped out?" I didn't want to disappoint, so I said it was.

Oh and btw Kurt, you are crackin me the **** up