General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

got pulled over for having my foglights on lol

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2007, 11:14 AM
11 Second Club

Received 126 Likes on 98 Posts

Damn.. that's
Old 05-19-2007, 11:15 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,685 Likes on 1,207 Posts

Originally Posted by joezz28
RPM WS6, I totally agree with you on all points. If I were in your shoes when the rude officer told you to turn off your fog lights, I would have refused as well. I am very respectful of police, and I am a law abiding citizen. Having said that though, I am not going to easily agree with a rude dictator cop who is ordering me to comply with some completely stupid and ridiculous local law (ie. fog lights are illegal).
That was my biggest complaint with the situation, the fact he was acting so disrespectful when I hadn't even opened my mouth yet. I'm always respectful to cops, "yes sir, no sir, thank you sir", ect. I expect the same respect in return, considering I wasn't violating any seriously laws or anything and I hadn't said anything to provoke such a rude outburst.... didn't even have a chance to speak yet.
Old 05-19-2007, 06:35 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RPM WS6
The Camaros have auto headlights, the Trans Ams do not. But you can still get the fog lights on during the daylight in a Camaro without the headlights by just turning the parking lights on first.
Some Trans Ams DO have auto headlights. My 01 model had them, but I dis-abled them so I could cruise at dusk with just my parking lights and fog lights on. My current 02 model doesnt have them, and I am glad. I have read that it depends on where the car was suppose to be sold on whether or not the cars have the auto lights. Like for Canada they had to have it, US they didnt.

RPM, that IS BS how they have roadblocks setup and especially how that cop was a dick. 7 yrs ago on my way to college in my old 95 Z-71, there was a wreck and a de-tour. When I got to the cop directing traffic, he said turn here and take this road to this road, and get your exhaust fixed, it's too loud, all in one sentence

There was nothing wrong with my exhaust. It had a 40 series single in dual out flowmaster, and I had IDLED at least 100 yards or more to get to him. I was VERY pissed, but ignored him and drove away. Bad cops give ALL cops bad names.

As far as the original posters situation, COMPLETE BS! I have never heard of a law like that. Luckily I have never had any problem with running mine, except when I cruise town with only the parking lights and fogs on.
Old 05-19-2007, 09:43 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,685 Likes on 1,207 Posts

Originally Posted by BriancWS6
Some Trans Ams DO have auto headlights. My 01 model had them, but I dis-abled them so I could cruise at dusk with just my parking lights and fog lights on. My current 02 model doesnt have them, and I am glad. I have read that it depends on where the car was suppose to be sold on whether or not the cars have the auto lights. Like for Canada they had to have it, US they didnt.
Wow, I had no idea. Damn, even an LS1/F-body veteran like me still has a couple things to learn I guess. I wasn't aware that the Canada spec Firebirds/Trans Ams had auto headlights.

Good info.
Old 05-19-2007, 10:48 PM
Syn
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Shinigami2x4
Fog lights are safty hardware and can be run off or on regardless who you are behind. Brightlights are a different story while behind or approaching someone as that can cause an accident. Dont worry, i got a redicoulus ticket when my dad got pulled over. we were out in the middle of no where and my dad got clocked at 71 in a 55 and i was a little behind him and he pulled him over. I was lost so i pulled over a little up the road, he wrote me a ticket for a 71 in a 55 even though i was not even going that speed..We will see how that goes.
I had basically the same BS ticket happen to me. It's the only ticket I've ever gotten but my dad (a lawyer) ended up getting it thrown out for me. Basically I was in the left lane with this ******* in the right lane 'racing' me in my '66 Impala which is slower than just about anything on the road, and the guy was probably doing 70+. Anyways, a cop came along and pulled a u-turn so I figured he was going to pull the ******* over but instead he pulled both of us over and wrote me a ticket for 73 in a 55 when I never even went above my normal 60 mph. I don't deny that I was speeding, but I was only doing 60 in a 55 which everybody does, and the other guy was the one going 73. The cop just ASSumed I was going the same speed when he clocked the first dude.
Old 05-21-2007, 11:42 AM
Launching!

that is some crap man. i have blue fog light covers and i always have mine on and never get pulled over. they cant issue a ticket for anything if thats the way the car came stock.
Old 05-21-2007, 01:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Louie83
Maybe he did it on a dare?

They just got done watching Super Troopers.

That's what meow was thinking.
Old 05-21-2007, 01:30 PM
12 Second Club

Location: Chitown-Jax NC-Jax FL-Honolulu-OKC, OK-NOW New Orleans Area

Originally Posted by fatboyq
country cops, gotta love em. Im sure he just wanted to check out your ride up close and personal.

ahhh great I am most likely moving to OK City area here this fall too. Note to self... carry dip, Budwiser, and various things so I can blend in. but then again my Hawaii tags my stand me out. I may change them back to FL though after my Hawaii ones run out.
Old 05-21-2007, 01:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Spink
He didn't keep saying "MEOW" did he? If so, did you count how many times?
I was thinking the same thing. "Do you see me drinking milk from a saucer".
Old 05-21-2007, 01:32 PM
TECH Addict

Im sure someone has already stated this but in MA it is illegal to drive with your foglights on if there arent hazardous weather conditions out (ie fog, heavy rain, etc). I asked both my gf's bro who is a local cop as wellas my neighbor who is a state trooper and they both said it is true. They never pull anyone over for it because its pointless but they said you can be pulled over and ticketed for it...
Old 05-21-2007, 01:43 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by blownta00
that is some crap man. i have blue fog light covers and i always have mine on and never get pulled over. they cant issue a ticket for anything if thats the way the car came stock.
the car came stock with foglights, it did not come stock with foglights ON.
Old 05-21-2007, 02:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

Ok here is my question then. When they build cars the DOT has to agree that everything OEM are in the DOT guidelines right? So therefore if you put aftermarket headlights on your car they could possibly not be DOT certified and they are put on a part of the car that is the DOT doesnt agree with. So basically what I am getting at is the fact that these good ole' boys from OK really can not make up their own foglight rules based on OEM DOT approved cars. But they can make their own laws on aftermarket headlight equipment. It kinda seems like a, AUTHORITY thing if you ask me. A little too much weight is being thrown around. Interesting none the less.
Old 05-21-2007, 02:20 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Smokin00WS6
Ok here is my question then. When they build cars the DOT has to agree that everything OEM are in the DOT guidelines right? So therefore if you put aftermarket headlights on your car they could possibly not be DOT certified and they are put on a part of the car that is the DOT doesnt agree with. So basically what I am getting at is the fact that these good ole' boys from OK really can not make up their own foglight rules based on OEM DOT approved cars. But they can make their own laws on aftermarket headlight equipment. It kinda seems like a, AUTHORITY thing if you ask me. A little too much weight is being thrown around. Interesting none the less.
Are you saying laws shouldn't be able to be created to restrict OEM auxiliary lighting use because it's OEM?

High beams are OEM, and DOT approved, are they not? But that doesn't mean you can just drive around with them on.

You car comes from the factory capable of doing in excess of 155mph. Get pulled over doing 145, and I can assure you that saying "But it's stock" isn't going to get you off the hook.

There's no law that states you can't have/use fog lights, driving lights or other auxiliary lighting. Several states have one of 2 versions of a law restricting their use though:

1. They can only be used when adverse weather conditions warrant their use.
2. They are to be treated the same as high beam headlights, and turned off when facing oncoming traffic.

Last edited by jbuerke142; 05-21-2007 at 02:25 PM.
Old 05-21-2007, 02:55 PM
12 Second Club

lol Super Troopers

Officer: "Do you know how fast you were going son?"

Kid Driving:"Umm...65??"

Officer "63.."

I love that movie...
Old 05-21-2007, 02:57 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 1fastTransAm
ahhh great I am most likely moving to OK City area here this fall too. Note to self... carry dip, Budwiser, and various things so I can blend in. but then again my Hawaii tags my stand me out. I may change them back to FL though after my Hawaii ones run out.
ah you should be fit in fine with them city(okc) boys
Old 05-21-2007, 02:57 PM
Alt
TECH Resident

Wranglers are like a cheap motel - no ball room.
Old 05-21-2007, 03:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by jbuerke142
Are you saying laws shouldn't be able to be created to restrict OEM auxiliary lighting use because it's OEM?

High beams are OEM, and DOT approved, are they not? But that doesn't mean you can just drive around with them on.

You car comes from the factory capable of doing in excess of 155mph. Get pulled over doing 145, and I can assure you that saying "But it's stock" isn't going to get you off the hook.

There's no law that states you can't have/use fog lights, driving lights or other auxiliary lighting. Several states have one of 2 versions of a law restricting their use though:

1. They can only be used when adverse weather conditions warrant their use.
2. They are to be treated the same as high beam headlights, and turned off when facing oncoming traffic.
Shoot, I think maybe I wrote that wrong. Im on the same page as you. I agree with you 100% but I think what I was trying to get at is why would they put that lighting on the car if it were illegal in a sense. You have control over your speed and you do have control over your lights on your car, but your lights in my opinion protect not only you but other drivers. Im with you on what you think, I just dont get why there would be such a thing as people getting pulled over for fog/driving light violation.
Old 05-21-2007, 04:04 PM
On The Tree

"the shnozberries taste like shnozberries" haha

i got a ticket for talking to my friend outside a walmart after i just got done shopping there. cop said i was hanging in the parking lot to long!! huge d*ckhead!

i got another ticket because a cop passed me going the other direction (55mph zone) flipped a u-turn because i looked like i was going fast. he then said he had to go 80 to catch up to me so i must be speeding.......then accused me of driving a stolen truck. it was my dads brand new silverado. then accused me of having drugs in the glove box. they were cologne samples......
Old 05-21-2007, 09:39 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by jbuerke142
the car came stock with foglights, it did not come stock with foglights ON.
if they were put there then u can used them when u want-the car comes stock with a/c but can they tell you you can only use it in the summer if its hot??? i dont think so-laws like that make cops look bad
Old 05-21-2007, 10:54 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by blownta00
if they were put there then u can used them when u want-the car comes stock with a/c but can they tell you you can only use it in the summer if its hot??? i dont think so-laws like that make cops look bad
I don't know if you ever took 5 grade social studies or not... but I'll help you out. Cops don't make laws.

Quick Reply: got pulled over for having my foglights on lol