General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

If you've upgraded from an fbody to a vette. Come inside.

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2007, 03:39 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default If you've upgraded from an fbody to a vette. Come inside.

I've got a question for you...

Do you ever regret it?
Old 05-30-2007, 03:40 PM
Teching In

Going from an F-body to a Corvette is an upgrade??? Not im my world.
Old 05-30-2007, 03:45 PM
TECH Regular

Only upgrade would be suspension and body.......which can be added to the F-Body for less than what a same year Vette would cost.......Also, there was a site that showed an F-Body dyno higher than a Vette.
Old 05-30-2007, 03:51 PM
Alt
TECH Resident

It may dyno higher than a vette, but I believe that the sheer weight difference makes up for it.
Old 05-30-2007, 03:51 PM
TECH Regular

Solid axle would dyno higher than independent I would think.
Old 05-30-2007, 04:02 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Be careful using the word "upgrade" when talking about this. You'll have some real pissed off f-body owners.

I have had a handful of f-bodies and one vette. They both have their pros and cons. I ended up selling my vette and going back to an f-body. It was a super nice car. It drove wonderfully, the targa top on a summer night was amazing, and it felt very quick and agile.

I think my problem was that I tried to use it as a daily driver. Personally, I grew annoyed very quick at all of the attention. People yelling things at me or staring or whatever...just got old fast. Also it was black...another bad idea for a daily driver.

I bought my formula while I still had my vette. I ended up driving the vette less and less, and eventually decided to sell it since I couldn't justify keeping it to drive it just once a month. I do like my formula and maybe will have another vette some day. I like my formula because it is cheaper to mod. Sure it's the same engine and all but you won't be able to find $350 headers for a vette. Secondly I like the f-body because it is less complicated. No crazy body modules and features that I don't need.

If I ever got a vette again I'd get a convertible and just cruise it. I raced my other vette and it was kind of a pain to get the IRS to hook up a lot of the time. IMO the fbody is an easier launch.
Old 05-30-2007, 04:04 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by ddcook07
Only upgrade would be suspension and body.......which can be added to the F-Body for less than what a same year Vette would cost.......Also, there was a site that showed an F-Body dyno higher than a Vette.
If you truly think that the only difference is suspension and body, you have not spent much time driving a vette. It is a whole different class of car. And this is coming from someone who has owned four f-bodies.

Dyno, schmyno. An LS1 is an LS1 and they are all going to dyno very closely. My Z28 dyno'd higher than my vette but that doesn't really mean much.
Old 05-30-2007, 05:10 PM
10 Second Club

Received 72 Likes on 37 Posts

I've never fantasized about owning a vette. Don't get me wrong if I had the money I would get one but my dream car has always been a Trans Am, Lamborghini, and a Ferrari. One down three to go.
Old 05-30-2007, 05:43 PM
TECH Addict

Cool

Everyone please read this,

I have had 11 F-Bodies and currently own 2. I have never driven a Corvette until 3 weeks ago. It was a 07 with 5400 miles on the clock. I rented it on my vacation to Florida. I truly must say I was impressed. Like stated above the Corvette is in a completely different class. I racked up over 1000 miles on it and basically compared it to my F-Bodies alot. Interior isn't world class but is alot better than the F-Bodies,The seating was alot more comfy,the Bose stereo was ok compared to the crap monsoon and ride quality was ok but it was a convertible. I also averaged 26.4 miles per gallon with the A4 on a long trip in a fully optioned vert. The active handling was also a decent feature.The LS2 also seemed very similar to very very slightly modded LS1 in alot of ways I took her up to a 136MPH on the trip to Key West I loved the vette and I'm 95% sure it will be my car and i'm only leaning towards the new Camaro 5%. If anyone thinks the Vette isn't a upgrade on any level is lying to themselves! Also saying F-Bodies dyno higher than Vettes is silly because a typical Vette weighs more than 200lbs less than a typical F-Body. You get what you pay for.
Old 05-30-2007, 08:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by CJDZ24_Z28

Everyone please read this,

I have had 11 F-Bodies and currently own 2. I have never driven a Corvette until 3 weeks ago. It was a 07 with 5400 miles on the clock. I rented it on my vacation to Florida. I truly must say I was impressed. Like stated above the Corvette is in a completely different class. I racked up over 1000 miles on it and basically compared it to my F-Bodies alot. Interior isn't world class but is alot better than the F-Bodies,The seating was alot more comfy,the Bose stereo was ok compared to the crap monsoon and ride quality was ok but it was a convertible. I also averaged 26.4 miles per gallon with the A4 on a long trip in a fully optioned vert. The active handling was also a decent feature.The LS2 also seemed very similar to very very slightly modded LS1 in alot of ways I took her up to a 136MPH on the trip to Key West I loved the vette and I'm 95% sure it will be my car and i'm only leaning towards the new Camaro 5%. If anyone thinks the Vette isn't a upgrade on any level is lying to themselves! Also saying F-Bodies dyno higher than Vettes is silly because a typical Vette weighs more than 200lbs less than a typical F-Body. You get what you pay for.
An LS1 F-body WILL dyno higher than an LS1 Vette when both cars are stock b/c of the IRS in vette will cause slightly more drivetrain loss.....and yes the vette is lighter but overall they are very close in the straight away....now the curves are a different story
Old 05-30-2007, 08:21 PM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I have only driven my friend's vette once, around his apartment complex so he could see his wheels... 5 minutes and that's all I needed to formulate my opinions I love my formula, but would like to add a vette to the stable some day. They are two completely different cars save for the motor and trans (kinda), and each excel and fall behind in different categories Period.

-J
Old 05-30-2007, 09:40 PM
TECH Addict

Sant, the choice will always be yours at the end of the day...BUT-

I think a Vette is a BAD idea RIGHT NOW....don't get me wrong, I LOVE VETTES, and I WILL GET ONE one day (Z06 C6 )

But for now, I think you really deep down love the T/A, but are in that stage that EVERYONE gets in...sell the car or not, get a Vette or not...repairs are adding up...AHHHH!

I dunno man....Like I said, give the car to me, let me help you clean it up, clean the inside, clean the outside, clean the engine bay, dress it up....lower it a lil bit, throw some performance mods into the motor, all budget stuff, and I bet you will LOVE the car man, even more than you do now...

I mean think about my ride, even with all the tuning issues it has with that cam I have, its TOTALLY worth every minute when I drive it

Plus I know itll all get ironed out some day!

Vettes are cool, but I feel it is something you need to sit down and REALLY think about...I mean I have known you for bout a year year 1/2 and you NEVER ONCE mentioned Vettes...now all of a sudden you want a Vette? We all want a Vette, but it isn't the answer to all your prayers...many have already admited that on this thread

E
Old 05-30-2007, 10:28 PM
12 Second Club

Thanks for the replies, I was curious to see what kind of replies I would get. lol and to clarify to most of you, for those that havent figured it out. I was talking about a c6, so its already more powerful and rides better. Just wanted to get that out of the way, I think the c5 is ugly. lol Thats just MY OPINION tho.

Erik, you may be right bro. I'm just weighing my options. I really do love my bird, and I DONT want to sell it. Im just gonna sit on the idea for now. You've got to realize, you bought your car as a 2002, with less miles, no previous accidents (which didnt show up on carfax... bastards), no body real body/paint damage, and the engine bay wasnt all corroded. I got bent over and raped with no lube for this car, lol. And its been one thing after another, more so than the usual fbody. I dont know a single fbody owner who's had as many problems with such trivial ****, and I know a lot of em! However, after talking to you earlier, and this thread, I'm more than likely going to hold out and fix up the bird. And thanks, I may take u up on that offer and we'll get to work on it over the summer.
Old 05-30-2007, 10:52 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by superduty
Going from an F-body to a Corvette is an upgrade??? Not im my world.
Wow, "your world" is weird.
Old 05-31-2007, 09:58 AM
12 Second Club

Old 05-31-2007, 10:21 AM
On The Tree

Default Vet > F-Body

I drove my 98 Camaro for 5 years as a daily driver, well almost daily, I have a truck also. A few months ago i bout an 04 C5. Both we a4 cars, both LS1s. But thats about all they have in common. The vet rides ruffer, there is less space, mods definatly cost more (vet tax). And yes i do miss the Camero.

All that being said, there is no way in hell i would go back to an F-body! The vet is fun to drive, handles so much better, and just overall a ncer car. And someone said earlier that a strait axil dynos higer than IS , is crazy. I have headers and a verrrry small blower cam and my vet dynoed at 365 hp 355 tq , and that is though an unlocked converter.

Also someone stated that in a strait line it would be a close race, thats bull also. If the cars are the same, auto to auto or t56 to t56, the vet is going to win. And befor ayone starts saying " what if ", I know anything CAN happen. But stock to stock, the vet is going to be on top.

I loved my f body too, but they are not the same car. The original post asked if there were any regrets, and my only regret is not keeping BOTH.
Old 06-02-2007, 01:41 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by lionelc-5
Camero.
Some people on this board would like to slap you for that.

All that being said, there is no way in hell i would go back to an F-body! The vet is fun to drive, handles so much better, and just overall a ncer car.
I believe you are right about that, despite that it's your opinion.
And someone said earlier that a strait axil dynos higer than IS , is crazy.

Also someone stated that in a strait line it would be a close race, thats bull also. If the cars are the same, auto to auto or t56 to t56, the vet is going to win. But stock to stock, the vet is going to be on top.
The dyno thing is a pissing contest, but the stock for stock race is about dead even. Keliente already said that IRS sucks at the track. From a roll, vette wins. From a dig, it's up to the driver.
Old 06-02-2007, 11:40 AM
TECH Resident

I have had my Z06 for 2 weeks now. Been rotating between TA and Z06. First of all, no one could love their TA more than I love mine. That being said, once you get in a vette, from the moment you close the door, sit in the softer seats, let the memory adj your settings, and start driving, only then can you see the real difference between the 2. My TA has the Strano suspension mods and probably corners as good as the Z, but not as easily. You really notice the extra weight or maybe the higher center of gravity of the TA, the balance and response of the Z and especially the braking difference. The Z has a more cockpit kind of feel, whereas the TA is more open, but the Z has more driver room. I can keep adding pieces to the TA to make it more like the Z, but the Z already has that stuff designed and integrated from the start. You just have to drive them both. And finally, it is an upgrade from the TA in every aspect except for the TA's "I am coming over to kick your *** look". Not sure the Z06 has the presence the TA has, but maybe some better wheels and some 315s on the back will help .

All that being said, I still do not know which one I will keep. It will come down to which one I like driving at Road Atlanta. Not which one is faster or looks better or rides better - just the most fun one on the track. I hope this helps some. I will have more updates as I get some seat time, so don't rule the 'vette out yet.
Old 06-02-2007, 11:58 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I almost bought two vettes, an 03 EB z06 and a 02 EB z06 in the last few weeks. I liked the z06 very much, but I couldn't sign the title over on my WS6. I decided to buy a truck and mess around with the WS6, which I couldn't do with a Vette since I would have to pay it off.

I will own a Vette, probably in a few years when the C6 prices come down some more.
Old 06-02-2007, 12:37 PM
11 Second Club

I wouldn't ever trade my fbody for a base vette. A Z06 is a whole different world though. Nonetheless, I'll never trade my SS for anything but I plan on adding a Z06 to the garage one day.