General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

I shed a tear today...

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2007, 01:55 AM
NKAWTG...N

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RPM WS6
I just took my wife's car through an auto car wash tonight (touchless). It's just a Bonneville. But should I ban myself anyway?
I'll ban you just in case...
Old 06-09-2007, 02:15 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,726 Likes on 1,238 Posts

Originally Posted by StoleIt
I'll ban you just in case...
Thanks bud.

Always lookin out for me.
Old 06-09-2007, 02:25 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'd never take my car through an automated car wash!!

Some people are just plain lazy....Just was the damn car

Black Mamba........it doesnt matter what kind of car it is. If you want to take care of it then it should not be taken through one of these car washes. Cars have more value than just money.
Old 06-09-2007, 02:25 AM
TECH Enthusiast

never take my car to a giant brushing car wash thing and mamba to answer your question some may think that their car is the best thing out there but Black Mamba why hop on other people who maybe this is the car they have always wanted and dont want to ruin it. i know people with civics that wont put their car through a brushing car wash so let it go.
Old 06-09-2007, 03:02 AM
TECH Enthusiast

You forgot one other group.

Some of us can afford much more expensive cars if we wanted to, but beleive it or not, we actually like F-bodies.

Oh the horror! How could someone actually like such a peice of junk like an F-body!
Very true. However, I would expect that the vast majority here is like me. If I had the money to throw around, I would be driving a 'Vette.
Old 06-09-2007, 03:23 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by The Black Mamba
I agree with the LT4 comment, in both vettes/fbodies. Some others maybe 1LE Camaros, some Firehawks, and Formula WS6(and 1LE version). Other than that though, I really don't see many being worth too terribly much. I mean, they're nice cars, but man, don't think they're $100k cars.
You can buy alot of $100k cars that just roll off the dealership floor, but I built mine to how I like it

^^^And so do all these guys on TECH
Old 06-09-2007, 03:31 AM
TECH Regular

Man I would never pass my car by one of those carwash machines, I will wash mine even if I have to do it every saturday night.
Old 06-09-2007, 03:51 AM
TECH Addict

Its all how you look at it, IMO it depends on the year and condition, for all you know it could have been a rebuilt title that had lots of little things wrong. I mean my car is a 99 and has 128 K miles on it, has normal wear and tear so I dont totally flip out if I get a ding or scatch but I do my best to keep it up and wash it alot. But to me it doesnt matter if its a 500 dollar civic, a 10 thousand dollar F body, or a 60 thousand dollar corvette, since I have to work my *** off for everything I get I take care of all my **** reguardless on how other people may value it
Old 06-09-2007, 04:03 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Starz T/A 17
Its all how you look at it, IMO it depends on the year and condition, for all you know it could have been a rebuilt title that had lots of little things wrong. I mean my car is a 99 and has 128 K miles on it, has normal wear and tear so I dont totally flip out if I get a ding or scatch but I do my best to keep it up and wash it alot. But to me it doesnt matter if its a 500 dollar civic, a 10 thousand dollar F body, or a 60 thousand dollar corvette, since I have to work my *** off for everything I get I take care of all my **** reguardless on how other people may value it

couldnt have said it better myself. i mean i hand wash my car whenever i get the chance.. but sometimes.. half price wednesday interior/and wax is just too good to not pass up
Old 06-09-2007, 05:44 AM
TECH Addict

As long as it was the touchless one I don't see the problem.
Old 06-09-2007, 08:46 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by The Black Mamba
Lol. Who really cares. It's a $17,000 car on a good day. When you leave la-la land, maybe you will actually open your eyes and realize that camaros/trans ams/corvettes aren't going to be worth much. Please hurry though, I may not be around in 20 years when you finally figure it out.

By the way, I respect F-Bodies. It's just losers like you that think they're god, and put lines like "LS1, the engine touched by God" in your sigs. Get over yourself.

I know tons of people around here with legit cars, one is a 10sec camaro. They're great rides, but they aren't rare. Stop acting like they are.
i dont think i said anything about rare in that, im simply stating that someone saw a guy go into a car wash that ruins paint (yes mustangs to) and your going to say oh boo hoo i thought it was a nice car. whats that about? like yours is any better? i dont care if my car cost 1 dollar and 50 million where made in my color alone in that year it's a nice car and you want to keep it that way. and if you want to quote the "LS1" its actually been talked about and mentioned in many mags,shows, general talk and VOTED the number 1 performance engine sence any of this drag racing has come along.

i mean christ if i saw a civic with a mean paintjob pull into one i would probably say the same thing about that being ashame for the paint, i think you need to get off your high horse and realise that you're not all that sorry
Old 06-09-2007, 08:49 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Holy ****... I didn't expect to stir up such contraversy with this thread. It was very much NOT a touchless wash. The cars look great coming out of there but I used to work at a dealership detailing cars and I watched what these brush car washes did to paint. I used to sit in the car in the car wash and look at all the little rocks and **** in the brushes as they came down to "scrub" the paint. No thanks.

And Mamba, why don't you just get a life? Why do you hang around this forum if you apparently think these cars aren't worth a damn? I can't believe you're even allowed to post here. Some of us aren't into owning these exotics worth $100k+. I know I sure as hell am not planning to buy one even if I do have the money. Personally, I like a car that is powerful, easy to work on, and has a huge aftermarket. The F-Body fits the bill perfectly. Why would I want a car that would require me to get a second job just to afford parts to fix it?
Old 06-09-2007, 10:03 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Originally Posted by Rowdy94
Very true. However, I would expect that the vast majority here is like me. If I had the money to throw around, I would be driving a 'Vette.
You're right, a lot of people here would buy Vettes if they had the means. I could buy a C6 today if I really wanted to, and sometimes I do think about doing just that. But I don't really have space for any more cars at the moment and I'm not ready to part with my Camaro.

Thing is, I'm super attached to F-bodies because I have a long and meaingful history with them. The cars are special to me for much more than just affordable muscle. I really don't care how much they're worth, the price tag doesn't make a bit of difference to me in whether or not I like a car.
Old 06-09-2007, 10:17 AM
TECH Regular

You're right, a lot of people here would buy Vettes if they had the means. I could buy a C6 today if I really wanted to, and sometimes I do think about doing just that. But I don't really have space for any more cars at the moment and I'm not ready to part with my Camaro.

Thing is, I'm super attached to F-bodies because I have a long and meaingful history with them. The cars are special to me for much more than just affordable muscle. I really don't care how much they're worth, the price tag doesn't make a bit of difference to me in whether or not I like a car.
I'm with you and I think a lot of people have not tought about this. When I went to buy my car the only one I had in mind was my Camaro and even though there was hundreds of cars in the dealers I visited, I decided to drop those 13k to buy my SS. There is a lot of things you can do with 13k and even if I had 13k again I would spend it on a camaro again. Thats how much I love my car. I bet that most of us here with the money invested in their cars they could have bougth a 30,000 dollar new car but I know that most of us are proud when we look back and say. Yep I spend $$$ on a new ____ for my car.
Old 06-09-2007, 10:49 AM
TECH Apprentice

Well I cant speak for everyone but my 02 Z28 is my baby, its also the first V8 ive ever owned an the first car I ever worked on myself. The car is in great condition never been to a automatic wash never will. Yeah to other people its just a nice F-body but to me its alot more. It's not a million dollar car hell to someone else it might not be worth $15,000 but to me its priceless! And whats even better is our F-bodys can spank cars that are worth 4x as much as ours!
Old 06-09-2007, 10:54 AM
TECH Addict

Even more collectible/valuable will be the '97 LT4 cars (Camaro SS and Firehawk). Very, very few were built with the LT4, and a mint low mileage example will be worth a large sum of money in 20 years. Hell, they already are.
Totally different ballgame IMO. These cars are ALOT more rare....That'd be like comparing a 2000 Hugger car to a 99' Hugger car....
Old 06-09-2007, 10:59 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I can say that I'm with you to a point. Now that I have one, I don't think I'll ever get rid of it. Hell, it wouldn't even be worth much if I wanted to. But my original thinking was that I found a really nice-*** car with power for pretty cheap, but in the back of my mind, I still wished I could afford a Vette.

On the other hand, once you own one and put some blood, sweat, and tears into it, it's with you forever. You feel an allegiance to it. My first car was one that my dad found for me. It was a super clean, 2-owner 93 Caprice LTZ. Posi rear with a TBI 350. Never really modded it much because I eventually sold it and bought the 'bird, but someday when money isn't an issue, a well-built Impala SS will be in my garage next to the Formula I have now and one of these up-and-coming RWD GMs to have as my lightly modded DD.
Old 06-09-2007, 11:12 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Originally Posted by 99camarosupersport
Totally different ballgame IMO. These cars are ALOT more rare....That'd be like comparing a 2000 Hugger car to a 99' Hugger car....
Why is it a different ball game? They are F-bodies (4th gens at that), and they will likely be the most valuable of the 4th gens when these cars are all 30-35 years old, due to their rarity. Point is, not all F-bodies will be "worthless" as they age. Same goes for the 30th ann package '99 WS6 cars.

Since when was there a factory hugger orange '00 model?
Old 06-09-2007, 11:50 AM
TECH Addict

Why is it a different ball game? They are F-bodies (4th gens at that), and they will likely be the most valuable of the 4th gens when these cars are all 30-35 years old, due to their rarity. Point is, not all F-bodies will be "worthless" as they age. Same goes for the 30th ann package '99 WS6 cars.

Since when was there a factory hugger orange '00 model?
I believe there was 1 made in 00, for a GM exec. or something like that. Which was my point in comparing the rarity of an LT4 SS and a 02 Anniversary.

* I checked and i was mistaken. I had thought 1 was built in 00 as an execs car. My fault, but you see the point i was making.
Old 06-09-2007, 12:13 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Originally Posted by 99camarosupersport
I believe there was 1 made in 00, for a GM exec. or something like that. Which was my point in comparing the rarity of an LT4 SS and a 02 Anniversary.

* I checked and i was mistaken. I had thought 1 was built in 00 as an execs car. My fault, but you see the point i was making.
I understand your point, but you have to remember that for the most part, the ONLY production cars that are ever worth anything significantly close to (or well over) their original asking price decades later (keeping inflation/cost of living increases in mind) are the 'rare' cars. Whether it be rare options, rare model, rare color, rare top-of-the-line package that was "too costly" to be popluar at the time, etc. That goes for anything from a Vette to an F-body to an old school muscle car (look at an LS6 Chevelle vs a Malibu with a V8).

A basic '00 Vette, though it will always be worth more than a basic '00 V8 F-body, isn't going to be worth much more in relation to it's original asking price than the F-body, many years down the road.

Example (lets look 30 years back):

A basic 1977 Corvette would cost you more to buy new than a basic 1977 Trans Am. But look at their values today for similar condition cars. In relation to original asking price, the Vette isn't really 'worth' any more than the Trans Am. Neither is exactly collectible in basic form. But to someone who really loves either car, who cares?

More examples:

Look at something like a 1989 Trans Am. For the most part, any regular '89 T/A even with something like 15-20k miles isn't going to sell for much. On the other hand, an '89 Turbo Trans Am (20th Ann package) will sell for about 2-3 times as much as a comparable 'regular' Trans Am.

Considering that in the LS1 era, all the top models shared the exact same engine, the only thing that separates the collectible cars from the regular cars is option packages, certain colors (like Hugger) and Anniversary models.

In the LTx era, it's the LT4 cars that will bring the biggest price tag, due to rarity.

Quick Reply: I shed a tear today...