General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

ttop pros/cons

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2007, 07:09 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ttop pros/cons

i'm looking to buy a 4th gen f body and a deal popped up on a 93 in great condition in my very tight budget. only problem from my perspective is i kinda wanted a ttop and it is a hardtop. anyone want to lay down some pros and cons of the ttop, or try to talk me into/out of this deal?
Old 06-11-2007, 07:11 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Pros: everything
Cons: nothing

Bottom line, ive had a hard top, converted it to ttops, never looked back. Next car i got was also ttops.

Nothing like cruisin on a nice day with the tops off.
Old 06-11-2007, 07:13 PM
Teching In

Pros= Look pretty wicked and are cool to have
Cons=Can cause leaks over time, can be worrysome(to some people)

I personally like hard tops because most f-bods i see have ttops
Old 06-11-2007, 07:17 PM
TECH Addict

Only con is they can leak plan and simple, other then that theres no cons at all
and like already said theres nothing like crusin on a nice day with the tops off
Old 06-11-2007, 07:20 PM
Teching In

ok, with my budget im about ready to latch on to the next fbody i see but i guess ill just have to wait for the deal to find me
Old 06-11-2007, 07:28 PM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yea only con is they could leak...although 90% if taken care of normally wont leak until ur hitting over 200k in miles. My car has 80k and the ttops are like brand new in looks and how tight they are in the top. I know a friend with a camaro who has 220k and his drivers side is starting to leak down the center a little..but hey what are they to buy a whole new ttop a few hundred bucks? to last you for 200k miles haha
Old 06-11-2007, 08:21 PM
TECH Addict

This is my 2nd f-body with t-tops and I have yet to experience a leak. As long as you take them out regulary so the rubber doesn't get squished into 1 position and you take some armor all to them every now and then to keep them supple you won't have any problems.
Old 06-11-2007, 08:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

I love my ttops. Zero leaks!
Old 06-11-2007, 08:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

No cons. I like the open secure feeling of the ttops over a vert.
Old 06-11-2007, 10:31 PM
TECH Veteran

leaking is the number one problem for me (barely any though, bought it like this ..other than that i love being able to take them down and enjoy the fresh air and they look badass on and off. I hate the look of convertables (sorry vert guys) and the ttops was the answer to my problem

Last edited by mycamaroSS; 06-11-2007 at 10:51 PM.
Old 06-12-2007, 09:57 AM
TWS
10 Second Club

Seems like some folks are a little biased in here. Based on the replies I've seen, I might get flamed but I feel you should have both sides of the coin:

Cons:
1. T-tops weigh a little bit more. Not a huge difference, but if you are out for every last bit of performance, I'd go with a hardtop.

2. T-top cars are a little less rigid. Again, comes back to a slight performance penalty in handling. Put subframes on them or face the prospect of launching both your car AND a t-top at the drag strip. DOH!

3. This is more subjective, but I feel T-tops are a poor man's vert. Get a hardtop for performance or get a 'vert for cruising. A T-top is a compromise that does neither as well. I also feel it's a hassle taking them off and putting them on. Two of my cars are t-tops, but I'd convert the '02 to hardtop if it was cheaper and easier than my inquiries have turned up.

4. It may also be my age, but I partially associate T-tops with teenagers out cruisin', blaring music and trying to be cool or trailer-park divorcee's looking for a new sugar daddy. I'm also old enough to remember when T-tops were notorious for leaking, but I think they are a lot better in that aspect these days. (ie. 4th gens)

I'm a little biased towards "all business" (ie. performance), so that's why I generally prefer hardtops. I am OK with the fact that my '01 SS is a T-top because it is a cruiser and kind of my "pimp ride", but other than that I would rather have hardtops or a 'vert.

Bottom line: it depends on what you want for yourself, but thought I'd give you another perspective.
Old 06-12-2007, 10:02 AM
TECH Fanatic

Cons: NONE!
Old 06-12-2007, 11:05 AM
TECH Fanatic

ttops are the way to go

night time 75 ttops off.
Old 06-12-2007, 11:11 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Starz T/A 17
Only con is they can leak plan and simple, other then that theres no cons at all
and like already said theres nothing like crusin on a nice day with the tops off
what he said...
Old 06-13-2007, 07:05 PM
TECH Apprentice

i have both rightnow it really depends what you like but your right cruisin with the tops off cant be beat
Old 06-13-2007, 07:25 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by TWS
Seems like some folks are a little biased in here. Based on the replies I've seen, I might get flamed but I feel you should have both sides of the coin:

Cons:
3. This is more subjective, but I feel T-tops are a poor man's vert. Get a hardtop for performance or get a 'vert for cruising. A T-top is a compromise that does neither as well. I also feel it's a hassle taking them off and putting them on. Two of my cars are t-tops, but I'd convert the '02 to hardtop if it was cheaper and easier than my inquiries have turned up.

4. It may also be my age, but I partially associate T-tops with teenagers out cruisin', blaring music and trying to be cool or trailer-park divorcee's looking for a new sugar daddy. I'm also old enough to remember when T-tops were notorious for leaking, but I think they are a lot better in that aspect these days. (ie. 4th gens)
I'll agree with your other points, to me it's all about personal taste. As far as "poor man's convert", I have to disagree with that. I like the T's because it lets you keep the top line of the car, looks better to me. Plus the "rag" top never went over well with me. It's fun to roll out on the highway with 'em on, but be able to cruise around on a Sunday with 'em off. It's not a hassle at all to take em off, pop the trunk, a 1/2 twist off a handle and they are off and another 1/2 twist and they are safe in your trunk.

As far as #4, I'm not a teenager, but I do like my music loud, in my car or in my truck...and I am cool, that's what my dad tells me anyway
Old 06-13-2007, 08:34 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Pro

T-Top + Sunny spring afternoon + Long drive on PCH + HOT girl = a great time!!
Old 09-14-2007, 02:18 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by WS6 Rampage
T-Top + Sunny spring afternoon + Long drive on PCH + HOT girl = a great time!!
cant disagree with that. nicely worded by the way i like it, But i love my ttops, nothing beats them, i had hardtop firebird before my ws6 (dad wouldnt let me get a v-8 for my first car ) and i hated it, but its whatever suits your taste, your the one thats gonna be driving it not us. good luck with it
Old 09-14-2007, 02:38 AM
TECH Resident

T-Tops really can't be beat, feels like open aired cruising with a bit more rigidity and a better roofline than a convert. i like the trunk holders too, I really cant think of ANY downsides........
Old 09-14-2007, 02:51 AM
TECH Resident

Ttops are great but they have added wind noise at speed (90+), a little less body stability (barely but a lil), they do leak (all that i've seen do) a lil water (whether it's washing your car or in rain, usually while washing though). Up to you. I like my Ttops but I wouldn't die without em.

Quick Reply: ttop pros/cons