General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Has Prolong Been Discontinued?

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2007, 01:19 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Has Prolong Been Discontinued?

I've used Prolong in the past and always heard good things about it, but haven't been able to find it in a year or so.

Anyone know if they quit making it?

And if so, what's the current best oil additive? We already use Mobil1 in everything, just wouldn't mind a little added peace of mind....
Old 06-19-2007, 02:06 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Seeing as Prolong's assets were sold and Prolong (PRL) is no longer listed on AMEX I'd say they are out of business.

**I just checked the website and it appears products under the Prolong name are still available via website ordering only.

IMHO Prolong is a waste of money and their lack of success only underscores that opinion.
Old 06-19-2007, 02:12 AM
On The Tree

i have a part time job at autozone and we have prolong there.... i dont know for how long or if we will get any more though
Old 06-19-2007, 06:16 AM
'Bird Director

Location: Central Indiana Honors: 4th grade spelling bee contestant
Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts

If it did fold, they'll obviously try to keep it hush hush until all the remaining product is sold.
Old 09-14-2007, 03:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

What's the next best thing lately?
Old 09-14-2007, 04:02 PM
TECH Senior Member

there is no John. Trust me on that. As Smokey Yunik said at his Round Table Conference (WITH reps of Prolong there next to him), Prolong does just as much in your engine as it does poured on the ground.

99% of those engine enhancers and what not do not work. Just a way to get people to spend their money.
Old 09-14-2007, 09:56 PM
TECH Apprentice

Prolong,
isn't that the stuff they advertise on late night t.v.
You know what I mean-
"increase you manlihood--use Prolong"
Old 09-14-2007, 10:18 PM
TECH Resident

i like hyperlube i can feel a difference expecially my oil psi raised by 5 psi
Old 09-14-2007, 10:30 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 847 Likes on 648 Posts

google MAXILUBE- I have a friend who demonstrated it mixed with Amsoil. He had a spinning rod and applied pressure via a break. With Amsoil alone the rod scored fairly badly. With the maxilube added it reduced the scoring noticably. Now that type of metal on metal pressure won't occur in an engine unless you've got a serious problem.
Old 09-16-2007, 11:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

I dont know if it generally claims to do the same thing as slick 50/prolong, but I use LC20 with my oil changes.
Old 09-16-2007, 11:36 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

slick 50 anyone?
Old 09-16-2007, 11:53 PM
TECH Addict

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Anybody heard of Motorkote?
Old 09-17-2007, 03:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by BigBronco
there is no John. Trust me on that. As Smokey Yunik said at his Round Table Conference (WITH reps of Prolong there next to him), Prolong does just as much in your engine as it does poured on the ground.

99% of those engine enhancers and what not do not work. Just a way to get people to spend their money.
That's cool, I was afraid of that... my only 'true story' related to prolong was that a college mechanic / shop teacher told us they had an old truck that someone gave the school because the motor was shot.

Well, they brought the truck in, it was huffing/puffing, with what they diagnosed as 'tons' of issues. Just for the heck of it, they put it up on the lift, hooked up the exhaust vent tube, poured some prolong in the crankcase and ran the truck in drive on the lift.

A couple of days later it finally shut down... because it ran out of gas! They put gas in it, ran it again, revving it, etc. and didn't blow it up.

Of course, that could be all coincedence, but it's stuck with me ever since.

For now I'll just keep using Mobil1...
Old 09-17-2007, 03:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I thought ls1tech would be far above this?
google "prolong ftc"

http://www.ftc.gov/opa/1999/09/prolong.shtm
http://www.technilube.com/faqs_info/additives.php

from all the oil stories I hear, 95% of them are incorrectly based conclusions... had a motor i put prolong in and it kept running. ignorance is bliss I guess, pull the lower end apart and inspect bearings before and after first of all. Second, just about anything will lube a motor and allow it to run. you can mix a whole lotta **** with motor oil and it will still lube and the engine won't seize. The problem is after thousands of miles or 50-100 hrs, after the oil has been run at 200+F for a while and the motor shuts down and gets moisture in the oil from condensation. That's when the oil breaks down, acid forms, and kills the internals. It's a slower process than I ran a motor for a day on prolong and it kept running; what happens with crap like prolong because it's nothing more than a light mineral oil, is that it lowers the viscosity of your oil, and you can run it on a dyno and actually see a power increase (but could also if you used 0w-20 oil or a 0wt or 5wt race oil) and could also infer a fuel economy increase from that as well. But there's no detergents in it and all it does is dilute good API certified motor oil, causing the oil to oxidize faster and break down and form acid sooner. Some additives are worse than others, especially chlorine based EP additives because those break down from the heat and the chlorine reacts and forms acid. 99% oil additives are lies, slick50 no exception, google that and read about them and the ftc, and what application limits ptfe has.

the only additives worth anything are zddp or moly, which are already in the oil. If you want piece of mind, add an oil temp gauge.
Old 09-18-2007, 04:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

Cool links...
Old 09-18-2007, 05:24 PM
TECH Apprentice

Here's what the Prolong sales manager emailed me when I asked:

"Long story short.....Prolong Corp. defaulted on their loan so the assets were taken by the note holder, put up for bid and Goldenwest Lubricants (who has been the primary blender of most of the products), bid and acquired the assets and is now the supplier. In the 3-4 months that Prolong Corp. couldn't ship, the product lost some shelf space and Goldenwest has to now meet with the buyers to try and acquire the shelf space back."

I asked him because the Kragen where I work stopped receiving shipments for like a year and so I got him in touch with our distributor service department and we should start carrying it in like a couple weeks or something he said.

Anyway, the local Autozone and Pepboys had the same thing happen, but they got their shipments in already.

Oh, and to anyone who doubts the legitimacy of engine additives, maybe you've only tried them in a strong running car? These things only make a noticeable difference if your car was running like **** before you put them in.

Quick Reply: Has Prolong Been Discontinued?