General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

older muscle vs. new muscle

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2007, 05:59 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default older muscle vs. new muscle

i have always loved the older camaros and newer (ls1-lt1) trans ams, and have been waiting to get a ls1 trans am because i think itd be better on gas,more reliable since its newer,and easier to mod....

i have been seeing a lot of GNX's and have grown to love them as much as the newer trans am....now i have a few questions.....

--will a GNX be as good on gas as an ls1 trans am mod for mod?
--since the trans am is a v8 does it have more mod potential?
--what is the costs difference between modding and maintaining a GNX vs a trans am?
--would it be easy/has it been done...an Ls1 swap into a GNX?
--and will insurance be cheaper since the GNX is only a v6 while the t/a's obviously a v8?

help me make my decission guys...thanks
Old 06-30-2007, 10:22 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,726 Likes on 1,238 Posts

Originally Posted by ls1ssws6
i have been seeing a lot of GNX's
Where have you been seeing a lot of GNXs at? They only built 547 of them, and that was 20 years ago. Most people these days will never even see one in person at this point. Not sure where you live that has "a lot" of such a rare car.

--would it be easy/has it been done...an Ls1 swap into a GNX?
This would be a very bad idea. Again, the GNX is a VERY rare car, and they are worth a large sum of money. The car would lose nearly all of it's value if you pulled the LC2 in favor of an LS1. So it's really pointless to buy a car as expensive as a GNX just to kill it's value with an LS1 swap.

If you want to do an LS1 swap into a G-body, get something other than a GNX. Maybe a base Regal, or even a high mileage regular Grand National or T-type/Turbo T.

As for potential of the LS1 vs LC2, there is really no winner. Either engine is equally modable.
Old 06-30-2007, 10:31 PM
myk
TECH Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

The GNX will be the more expensive proposition. If you buy such a rare car it'll either be cheap and thrashed, requiring big bucks just to make clean, or so expensive and mint that it'll be out of your reach.
Buying parts of any kind for the GNX will be more expensive than for a 4th gen.
In regards to insurance, to protect a GNX and your 'mods for its full value you'll need to go with specialty or collector's insurance, which usually has a limit on how much you can drive it.
I love classic muscle, but there's just no substitute for the modern thing...
Old 07-01-2007, 12:36 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by RPM WS6
Where have you been seeing a lot of GNXs at? They only built 547 of them, and that was 20 years ago. Most people these days will never even see one in person at this point. Not sure where you live that has "a lot" of such a rare car.

This would be a very bad idea. Again, the GNX is a VERY rare car, and they are worth a large sum of money. The car would lose nearly all of it's value if you pulled the LC2 in favor of an LS1. So it's really pointless to buy a car as expensive as a GNX just to kill it's value with an LS1 swap.

If you want to do an LS1 swap into a G-body, get something other than a GNX. Maybe a base Regal, or even a high mileage regular Grand National or T-type/Turbo T.

As for potential of the LS1 vs LC2, there is really no winner. Either engine is equally modable.
sorry maybe i should have done more research, i meant to say grand national...what is the difference in GNX and grand national? arent they both turbo'd buicks?

i want to have a streetable high 9 to low 10 second car...is this easily attainable by a turbo buick?
Old 07-01-2007, 12:38 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by myk
The GNX will be the more expensive proposition. If you buy such a rare car it'll either be cheap and thrashed, requiring big bucks just to make clean, or so expensive and mint that it'll be out of your reach.
Buying parts of any kind for the GNX will be more expensive than for a 4th gen.
In regards to insurance, to protect a GNX and your 'mods for its full value you'll need to go with specialty or collector's insurance, which usually has a limit on how much you can drive it.
I love classic muscle, but there's just no substitute for the modern thing...
this is true...maybe ill go with the ws6 now and when im older ill get a nice muscle car...you normally see older guys drivin the old muscle haha
Old 07-01-2007, 12:50 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

sorry maybe i should have done more research, i meant to say grand national...what is the difference in GNX and grand national? arent they both turbo'd buicks?

i want to have a streetable high 9 to low 10 second car...is this easily attainable by a turbo buick?
In 1987, GM sent 547 GN's (Grand Nationals) to ASC/McLaren to be modified. They were equipped with a different turbo (ceramic internals, I think) and intercooler, different gauges, different wheels (look like GTA wheels) and a bunch of other modifications and ended up being rated at 276 hp, whereas the standard GN was rated at 245hp. A lot of people believe both were underrated, horsepower-wise.
So basically the GNX was a very rare special edition Grand National. There were only hundreds of them, whereas there were thousands of normal GN's. The GNX's are worth a hell of a lot more: Example 1 Example 2
Old 07-01-2007, 12:52 AM
Staging Lane

More info: http://www.buickgnx.com/
Old 07-01-2007, 01:02 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Everyone loves the older muscle, but my wallet kinda makes me rethink buying a first gen. over a 4th. When you buy an old car you have to take into consideration what IS going to break, cause trust me nothing lasts forever. Where as with a new 4th gen. you wont have to worry about all the little things needed to be replaced.

The GNX your talking about will cost alot more to mod then a N/A 4th gen. Granted you can get the GNX into the 9's with a bigger turbo, cam and heads, and still be streetable most of the money is gonna be in machining the engine to handle the 20+ psi and the turbo kit to make the power.

But insurance will deff. be cheaper on the older car. I only pay 150 a year on my 69' so thats kinda why i still have it, it beats paying 269 a month for a 4th gen Z.
Old 07-01-2007, 01:53 AM
TECH Apprentice

this is true...maybe ill go with the ws6 now and when im older ill get a nice muscle car...you normally see older guys drivin the old muscle haha

im 16 driving a 70 1/2 with a 491
Old 07-01-2007, 02:19 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by RPM WS6
I see 3 every weekend at the local car meet in mpls. But your right thery are a pretty rare car to see around.
Old 07-01-2007, 07:55 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by John Ceta
In 1987, GM sent 547 GN's (Grand Nationals) to ASC/McLaren to be modified. They were equipped with a different turbo (ceramic internals, I think) and intercooler, different gauges, different wheels (look like GTA wheels) and a bunch of other modifications and ended up being rated at 276 hp, whereas the standard GN was rated at 245hp. A lot of people believe both were underrated, horsepower-wise.
So basically the GNX was a very rare special edition Grand National. There were only hundreds of them, whereas there were thousands of normal GN's. The GNX's are worth a hell of a lot more: Example 1 Example 2
yea i saw the first one on ebay, my girlfriend had to get us bibs cause we were droolin so much hahah
Old 07-01-2007, 07:56 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by CamaroKidZ28
im 16 driving a 70 1/2 with a 491
there are exceptions to the rule but NORMALLY older ppl drive the older muscle and younger people drive the newer models....
Old 07-01-2007, 07:57 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by whytryz28
Everyone loves the older muscle, but my wallet kinda makes me rethink buying a first gen. over a 4th. When you buy an old car you have to take into consideration what IS going to break, cause trust me nothing lasts forever. Where as with a new 4th gen. you wont have to worry about all the little things needed to be replaced.

The GNX your talking about will cost alot more to mod then a N/A 4th gen. Granted you can get the GNX into the 9's with a bigger turbo, cam and heads, and still be streetable most of the money is gonna be in machining the engine to handle the 20+ psi and the turbo kit to make the power.

But insurance will deff. be cheaper on the older car. I only pay 150 a year on my 69' so thats kinda why i still have it, it beats paying 269 a month for a 4th gen Z.
yea your right...i have always wanted a ws6 ls1 so im just gonna stop bitchin,buy one and mod the hell out of it
Old 07-01-2007, 10:16 AM
TECH Regular

I know a guy with a Grand national that upped the boost on his (stock) car and hit 11's. They are beasts
Old 07-01-2007, 10:35 AM
11 Second Club

I find it interesting that GNX have a torque arm suspension

I remember seeing a Monte SS w/ an LS7 recently . . . beyond kewl imho
and this thread makes me think harder about doing something with the '68 Firebird sitting in my garage

ls1ssws6 . . . buy what you like but research first is a smart move, you've picked a great site to do that on
hope you find what you want
Old 07-01-2007, 12:31 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by fast
I find it interesting that GNX have a torque arm suspension

I remember seeing a Monte SS w/ an LS7 recently . . . beyond kewl imho
and this thread makes me think harder about doing something with the '68 Firebird sitting in my garage

ls1ssws6 . . . buy what you like but research first is a smart move, you've picked a great site to do that on
hope you find what you want
yea i have been trollin this forum for a while trying to get all the knowledge i can....i still think i will eventually end up with a TT WS6
Old 07-01-2007, 12:53 PM
Staging Lane

yea your right...i have always wanted a ws6 ls1 so im just gonna stop bitchin,buy one and mod the hell out of it
Sounds like the most realistic idea.
Good luck on the search for your new ride.
Old 07-01-2007, 06:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

i'm an old guy i like old school but the new stuff is too cool for school.
previous cars;
'70 ss chevelle
'69 roadrunner
'73 340 duster
'69 gto
the ss 396 was the most fun, thumpin racer brown cam, elderbrock open plenum intake,750 holley double pumper,LTs,4:10 ,4speed it got 11mpg if you kept your foot out of it. it got real bad if you beat on it. but hey gas was about 50 cents a gal then.
i remember that mallory dual point distrutor i would shift about six. required the hood open constantly 25 to 3'000 miles to keep it running right. it was an ill-handling car to today's standards.
but it get's worse the roadrunner & the duster convinced me i'm not a dodge boy. the RR was a 383 auto big tires in the wells slapper bars, thush muffers both were ill handling POS
bought another A-boby about '87 . '69 gto another 396 bbc car mild cam t-400 350 gears not real fast
but bit was a head tuner sold in '01 for a house upgrade.
did w\o for almost 6 years but after 28 years of marital bliss WTF got an '02 B4C it stops steers and handles it is a better mouse trap.
old school yeah it could still work, how bout an LS-2 in a '65 impala hard top 6 speed?
YAHOO!!!
Old 07-01-2007, 08:49 PM
Staging Lane

GN's are amazing machines I have owned 5 of them and on 89 TTA. They were all fast and responded well to modification. But they are very tempremental cars. Tuning is the difference between a good running 10 sec. car or a 14 sec car with the same parts. Alot of people have had good luck with them not breaking but like everything else it is trial and error and if you are like me that likes to put my foot to the floor every chance I get the ls platform is the way to go. The buick is a stout performer but if you run it to its max potential all the time it is still just a 6 with weak bottom end/ main cap webbing.
Old 07-02-2007, 08:53 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by sreve
i'm an old guy i like old school but the new stuff is too cool for school.
previous cars;
'70 ss chevelle
'69 roadrunner
'73 340 duster
'69 gto
the ss 396 was the most fun, thumpin racer brown cam, elderbrock open plenum intake,750 holley double pumper,LTs,4:10 ,4speed it got 11mpg if you kept your foot out of it. it got real bad if you beat on it. but hey gas was about 50 cents a gal then.
i remember that mallory dual point distrutor i would shift about six. required the hood open constantly 25 to 3'000 miles to keep it running right. it was an ill-handling car to today's standards.
but it get's worse the roadrunner & the duster convinced me i'm not a dodge boy. the RR was a 383 auto big tires in the wells slapper bars, thush muffers both were ill handling POS
bought another A-boby about '87 . '69 gto another 396 bbc car mild cam t-400 350 gears not real fast
but bit was a head tuner sold in '01 for a house upgrade.
did w\o for almost 6 years but after 28 years of marital bliss WTF got an '02 B4C it stops steers and handles it is a better mouse trap.
old school yeah it could still work, how bout an LS-2 in a '65 impala hard top 6 speed?
YAHOO!!!
sounds like youve had some fun with your cars