General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

How are you guys affording...?

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2007, 04:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Black8Banger
Im 20 and making $9 an hour. You have to learn to save. I do work 50 hours a week. You do the math...I dont make ****. I try to buy as much stuff used as I can. I need to find a better paying job but until Im out of college my options are limited!
Find a job at a factory. Most of them are really easy and they pay 11-12 an hr and the OT...well u can't beat it. Just some advice that worked well for me. I'm 22 with two cars and lots of $ left over.
Old 07-16-2007, 06:25 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Save like your a poor man!
Old 07-18-2007, 12:11 AM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Work like me 80+ hours a week- Buy yourself nothing you don't absolutely need to survive- Give your wife everything she wants so that she can never argue when you want to spend 5k on a H/C/I package because she has >10K in shoes. I would love to say just kidding, but it is a sad but true fact. Damn shoes.
Old 07-18-2007, 12:49 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'll help you out. Why not answer the broader question that this question is a sub-set of?

"How do people afford anything that is an expensive luxury item?" (Big house, Cars, Boats, Jewelry, Property, etc... and lets face it, a H/C or FI setup is a luxury item too)

Well now you are seeing the bigger picture my friend.

Either you are a self-made man and started a business, or got the education, got the job, and make the cash to afford these things.

Or, you come from a wealthy family and either had the money all along, or were handed a position that makes tons of money.

But regardless of where the money comes in from, if you have lots of expenses going out each month you'll never be buying luxury items. Add in a couple kids and college tuition, and even a rich guy wont ever be buying a Head Cam or Forced induction setup...

YOUR LIFE-YOUR MONEY-YOUR PRIORITIES
Old 07-18-2007, 12:58 PM
12 Second Club

My dad always told me if I worked my *** off and set my mind to it, I'd get what I want. Hasn't failed me yet.
Old 07-18-2007, 01:08 PM
TECH Junkie

Save up a certain amount of money each pay check or each month, put it in a savings acount or something .... Don't let all that time go to waste either, do some research on cams and heads, read up on alot of stuff, find yourself a good combination while your'e saving your'e money, that way you don't end up buying something you won't like .... eventually if you want it bad enough and are willing to keep working/saving for it you will have it.
Old 07-18-2007, 04:12 PM
12 Second Club

Try to put away around $200 each month. $200/mo. * 12 mo. = $2400/yr. Do that for 2-3 years and you'll have plenty of funds ($4800-$7200). The hard part is setting the money aside in a high interest savings account and not spending it on anything else.
Old 07-19-2007, 12:45 PM
On The Tree

First I spent a bunch of money on the education mod. I didn’t take out any loans though. I worked full time and paid as I went. Of course at the time this left zero $ for car mods, but sometimes you have to patient. Now I have a great job, a nice house, and can buy whatever mods I want.

The moral of my story? Be patient, don’t get yourself into debt, get an education, or come up with a career plan and in time you will have plenty of money for mods.
Old 07-19-2007, 05:01 PM
12 Second Club

I just got a quote for a cam-only engine build from New Era Performance for only about $1500 installed/tuned. You can always add the heads later. This set-up will make 400+ RWHP. I will be having this done to my car very soon. It's fairly inexpensive and you can always save up for AFR/ETP heads a few years down the road.
Old 07-19-2007, 06:09 PM
9 Second Club

Well Im a Engineer and I make pretty decent money, having no kids help also. I recommend just putting a little bit of mod money away every paycheck and go from there. good luck
Old 07-19-2007, 07:33 PM
TECH Addict

buy an aftermarket warranty....then about a month later start breaking stuff
Old 07-20-2007, 05:55 PM
TECH Apprentice

I don't agree with all the "save" your money advice. How much is your bank giving you in interest? I bought an empty lot 8 years ago I have done NOTHING with this property in these 8 years. It is now worth almost 4 times what I paid for it just 8 years ago. Not a lot of investments out there that will give you a return like that. Land is where its at. IMO. It just takes a bit of patience.
Old 07-20-2007, 06:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by SScott
I don't agree with all the "save" your money advice. How much is your bank giving you in interest? I bought an empty lot 8 years ago I have done NOTHING with this property in these 8 years. It is now worth almost 4 times what I paid for it just 8 years ago. Not a lot of investments out there that will give you a return like that. Land is where its at. IMO. It just takes a bit of patience.
i'm actually looking to do this. but i don't know squat about buying land and what the land is worth. I just have a lot of extra money laying around, and i want to invest in something.
Old 07-20-2007, 06:30 PM
TECH Apprentice

I bought the lot because its right behind my house and I didn't want anyone buying it and building right next to me. I really couldn't afford it at the time, but now I'm glad I did buy. Don't buy where people want to live now., buy where people are going to want to live later. Don't get me wrong there is a LOT more to it than just buying an empty lot and waiting.
Old 07-20-2007, 06:37 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Fahrenschnell
Work like me 80+ hours a week- Buy yourself nothing you don't absolutely need to survive- Give your wife everything she wants so that she can never argue when you want to spend 5k on a H/C/I package because she has >10K in shoes. I would love to say just kidding, but it is a sad but true fact. Damn shoes.
+1...

.... Sad,.. yet VERY true! I was engaged so I know it is. Last time ask a lingerie model to marry me. Its a one way ticket to the poor house!!!
Old 07-23-2007, 01:15 AM
TECH Fanatic

Just take it one mod at a time...start with exhaust,get a cam, then use something like a tax refund on heads and do alot of the work yourself

Quick Reply: How are you guys affording...?