General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

antenna question

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2007, 06:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default antenna question

i have a 2000 trans am ws6 and when i bought the car it had a broken antenna. not that big of a deal since i listen to cds 99% of the time. but i was wondering if there is a company or a type of antenna out there that doesnt extend out (like how the antenna should on my car) but still works just as good as the one that does extend out? kind of a stupid reason and not much of a difference but i like the way the car looks with out the antenna being up. just thought id ask before i go spend the 130 on a new antenna and motor from ebay or the dealer
Old 07-08-2007, 06:41 PM
10 Second Club

You can switch to a non-power antenna with a shorter mast (search the appearance section), but I don't know of any power antenna with a shorter mast.

BTW - Stick with the GM power antenna for perfect fit and quality. I bought a brand new one on ebay for less than $100.
Old 07-08-2007, 07:02 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,468 Likes on 1,059 Posts

If you barely ever listen to the radio, then just unplug the antenna from the wiring harness and leave it down. It'll still pick up radio stations just fine close to a big city, but that really doesn't matter if all you do is listen to CDs anyway.

I took the fixed mast antenna off my Camaro and made a custom cap for the threaded stud that makes it look like a power antenna. I didn't like having any antenna sticking up. I can still receive some radio stations, but I only listen to CDs in that car anyway.
Old 07-08-2007, 07:10 PM

i wishi could find one on ebay for under 100. only ones under 100 that i can find have something broke and im not going ot take a chance and buy it in hope that whats broke on that one isnt broke on mine. im not real sure what is broke on mine tho i never tore it apart
Old 07-09-2007, 11:57 AM
Launching!

If you look under installing a power antenna in a camaro (which didn't come with a factory ant.) you can but a switch inline to manualy control the ant. If you don't mind a silver ant. you may be able to find a replacement cheaper.