General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Really REALLY simple quick question. STOCK MAF end sizes...

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2007, 07:38 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Really REALLY simple quick question. STOCK MAF end sizes...

Hey everyone. I feel pretty dumb asking this question. But I really need to know what the diameter of the ends is on a STOCK MAF sensor for like a 99 or 00 LS1 Camaro.

My reason for asking... My donor car came with the SLP 85mm MAF. My tuner wants to tune with the stock MAF, so I had to order one. I ordered one from advance, but SURPRISE!, no ends came with it. SO I had to get a used one from the boards. I need to know the end sizes, so I can order a new TB elbow, and a new sleeve to mate up with my filter tubing. Since its all custom. Im on a limited time frame, so I cant wait for the one I bought to come in.

I think I remember reading 3.5" on both ends for the stockers, but I cant seem to find anything to confirm that using both search and google.

So in a nutshell I just need those diameters...whether they are both the same or if one side is bigger than the other.

Thanks!!!

Justin
Old 07-25-2007, 12:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

Bump for the afternoon so I still have time to order my hoses...

Someone has to know off the top of their head what size these things are.

J.
Old 07-25-2007, 03:53 PM
12 Second Club

Received 15 Likes on 5 Posts

3 1/2" hoses will work with the 85mm maf. 85mm = 3.35"
Old 07-25-2007, 05:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

ok... Im not using the 85mm MAF anymore though...

So I need to know the STOCK...100% stock MAF sensor measurements. Whatever they might be... Because I already have the hoses needed for the 85mm maf...they obviously wont work with the stock, smaller sized maf.

J.
Old 07-25-2007, 10:34 PM
12 Second Club

Received 15 Likes on 5 Posts

I have the stock MAF on my 2000 Trans Am. It is the 3.5" MAF. I don't think the GM 3" MAF was used on the LS1's. Check your hose (bellow?) again. One side should be for the 3.5" MAF and the other side should be larger for the 4"(?) Throttle Body.
Old 07-26-2007, 07:26 AM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks for the feedback...

I think I might not be explaining what Im doing well enough... although it doesnt change the fact that I need to know the stock diameters.

Right now..on the car... I have a 90* elbow that measures 4.25" on one end, and 4" on the other end. This was to go from a FAST 90 throttle body... Now I have a nick williams, and the opening is thinner... Anyway. The 4" end of the elbow slips over the SLP 85mm Maf sensor. On the other side of the maf, I have a sleeve that connects the sensor to the 4" tubing that I have for my air filter to slip over.

What I NEED to do... I need a 90* elbow that goes from 4" down to whatever the stock maf size is... then a sleeve on that other end of the maf that goes from the maf size UP to the 4" tubing for the filter.

I never wanted to do this...but we'll see what the tuner can do.

The stock MAF is 75mm I believe. Which is about 3"... so I figure about a half inch bigger for the hose...so 3.5" hose and sleeve. But at this point I might as well just wait for the one I ordered to come in to be sure.

J.
Old 07-29-2007, 08:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

FYI for anyone that might come upon this thread using seach.

I couldnt get a straight answer...so I just waited until the MAF that I bought came in. The factory MAF ends are for 3.5" hoses.

J.
Old 08-02-2007, 10:50 AM
TECH Junkie

Why couldn't your tuner tune the 85mm MAF, it is the same process as the 75mm stock MAF. It will just be less of a restriction and provide better power once tuned.

FYI:
75mm MAF uses a 3.5" diameter
85mm MAF uses a 4.0" diameter
As measured on my SS (75mm MAF) and my 1500HD (85mm MAF) stock.

Quick Reply: Really REALLY simple quick question. STOCK MAF end sizes...