General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

To get Z28 or GTO?

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2007, 01:35 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm more set on the Z28, but the GTO doesn't have the drivers that beat on the cars as much as the Camaros.

Im unsure on what to choose.
Old 08-02-2007, 02:42 PM
Teching In

Look... GTO owners are going to say "get a GTO" and T/A and Camaro owners are going to say "get the Z28" but the bottom line is it's really a personal preference. If you have the money get the GTO, if you don't stick with the z28. Both will put a smile on your face with WOT. You can look at my mods and see how much power I have gotton out of my N/A LS2 GTO.
Old 08-02-2007, 03:10 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,705 Likes on 1,222 Posts

Originally Posted by 06 Blue Goat
If you have the money get the GTO, if you don't stick with the z28.
Financial means alone is not a good reason to buy one over the other. Just because someone can afford a more expensive car doesn't always mean it's the best choice for them/their needs.

Personally, I could have paid cash for a new GTO back in '04 when I bought my current Camaro, but I just didn't care for the GTO styling on a car that I intended to use as a weekend toy.

Look... GTO owners are going to say "get a GTO" and T/A and Camaro owners are going to say "get the Z28" but the bottom line is it's really a personal preference.
This part I agree with 100%.
Old 08-02-2007, 03:22 PM
Staging Lane

I also think that I'll take a big loss along with the rest of the Camaro owners, when the 2009 comes out.
Old 08-02-2007, 03:25 PM
On The Tree

I have owned, modded, and driven the living crap out of both an LS2 GTO and an LS1 Z. I have much more respect for the Z. Cheaper, easier to mod, parts are easier to find and...cheaper, lighter car, No GTO verts, styling is better, and just better seat of the pants fun in the Z. The GTOs have a lot of well documented fitment and quality problems. Hard to argue with the advantages, unless you just want a Goat. I had a buddy trade in an 06 GTO on an 07 Z06, just because he always preferred a Vette. You have to buy what you like, 'cause you are the only one that matters in the preference department. FYI my 99 Z ran dead even on the freeway with my friend's o5 LS2 GTO. Priceless. And my payments are half what his are!
Old 08-02-2007, 04:09 PM
10 Second Club

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Chief Z
I have owned, modded, and driven the living crap out of both an LS2 GTO and an LS1 Z. I have much more respect for the Z. Cheaper, easier to mod, parts are easier to find and...cheaper, lighter car, No GTO verts, styling is better, and just better seat of the pants fun in the Z. The GTOs have a lot of well documented fitment and quality problems. Hard to argue with the advantages, unless you just want a Goat. I had a buddy trade in an 06 GTO on an 07 Z06, just because he always preferred a Vette. You have to buy what you like, 'cause you are the only one that matters in the preference department. FYI my 99 Z ran dead even on the freeway with my friend's o5 LS2 GTO. Priceless. And my payments are half what his are!

Theres more to a car than how much you paid and how fast it runs.
Old 08-02-2007, 05:46 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Originally Posted by necrocannibal
Theres more to a car than how much you paid and how fast it runs.
Exactly. And that goes both ways in this debate. Thus the reason why opinions are subjective.

It's about time that people on this site involved in the never-ending debate of GTO vs F-body realize that not everyone has the same taste, and not everyone puts as much importance on the same catigories of a given car.
Old 08-02-2007, 06:17 PM
10 Second Club

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by RPM WS6
Exactly. And that goes both ways in this debate. Thus the reason why opinions are subjective.

It's about time that people on this site involved in the never-ending debate of GTO vs F-body realize that not everyone has the same taste, and not everyone puts as much importance on the same catigories of a given car.

Old 08-02-2007, 06:26 PM
TECH Apprentice

Get the Z28 if you want a car that is fast and don't care alot about comfort or interior quality. The only advantage you will get from the GTO is a comfy nice interior. The Z28 is just as fast, handles just as good, and all the same mods can be done. You should prolly get the Z28, and since it won't make you poor, save some cash for a piece of **** beater incase you blow your car up racing.

oh, and you should test drive both cars too. Then you will know what you like for sure.
Old 08-02-2007, 11:02 PM
On The Tree

I've owned both a GTO and F-body.

DD hands down a GTO. The ride is much nicer, the seats are so much better and the interior is nice vs. cheap GM plastic.

Yeah the looks of the GTO suck, but you can fix that with some aftermarket stuff and a nice exhaust.

If you want a good all out toy then get the Z, if you want a fast car, all out speed monster.

Drive them both.
Old 08-02-2007, 11:14 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Originally Posted by johnh
Yeah the looks of the GTO suck, but you can fix that with some aftermarket stuff and a nice exhaust.
Again, this is all opinion. Some people like the looks just fine in stock form. Then other's of us prefer the look of even a 100% stock Camaro over a GTO even with aftermarket stuff and a nice exhaust on it.

There is no right answer.
Old 08-02-2007, 11:44 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by RPM WS6
Financial means alone is not a good reason to buy one over the other. Just because someone can afford a more expensive car doesn't always mean it's the best choice for them/their needs.

Personally, I could have paid cash for a new GTO back in '04 when I bought my current Camaro, but I just didn't care for the GTO styling on a car that I intended to use as a weekend toy.

This part I agree with 100%.
This is true, but the point I was actually trying to make was if you really want the GTO and you have the money then get the GTO, But if your going to kill yourself in debt just to get it, then just go with the Z28 , because in the long run you will be happy that you have a car that is not only bad ***.... but more importantly a car that is paid off.
Old 08-02-2007, 11:58 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

This is true, but the point I was actually trying to make was if you really want the GTO and you have the money then get the GTO, But if your going to kill yourself in debt just to get it, then just go with the Z28 , because in the long run you will be happy that you have a car that is not only bad ***.... but more importantly a car that is paid off.
Agreed.
Old 08-03-2007, 01:08 AM
Staging Lane

Thanks, and I think i'm heading for a Z28, one thats in the forums classified section.

Now if you will guys/girls will allow me to go slightly off topic, how should I shop for insurance (call each company up or...)?

I'm going to speak to people to see about low low interest loans that will allow me to put the check in the bank, and take out cash for an even better price.

Thanks for the advise!
Old 08-03-2007, 02:43 AM
12 Second Club

id get the camaro..do you know how much longtubes for the gto ls2 are alone?? atleast $800..thats crazy!! my headers were $350 shipped..parts are sooo much money..but its up to you, as said before the gto has better interior but the camaro looks more aggressive to me
Old 08-03-2007, 02:45 AM
12 Second Club

haha and p.s., why a camaro? look at trans am's too..the ws6 ls1's look mean as hell..(unless you dont like t/a's)
Old 08-03-2007, 02:53 AM
Teching In

am i the only non-GTO owner who doesn't think the looks of the GTO suck?

i thought that when they first came out, but they've really grown on me.

I looked at buying an F body for a long time, but just never pulled the trigger because i can't stand car payments. so it was a choice between a fox with a windsor swap and a 96 LT1 camaro. now i drive a ford....

either way, the best way to decide on what car to buy is to drive both of them. choose for yourself, YOU will be happiest that way. It's good to get opinions...but when it comes down to it your preferences negate everyone else's opinion
Old 08-03-2007, 03:28 AM
11 Second Club

Received 175 Likes on 134 Posts

Yea, get what you want..
Old 08-03-2007, 06:22 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by razorclaw99
id get the camaro..do you know how much longtubes for the gto ls2 are alone?? atleast $800..thats crazy!! my headers were $350 shipped..parts are sooo much money..but its up to you, as said before the gto has better interior but the camaro looks more aggressive to me
Thats because most of us (GTO owners) wont buy crappy pacesetters, ($400 coated BTW for the GTO same as the F-body)...SS headers are $$$ no matter what type car they are for. My Kooks in the F body form are 898.91....hmmmm research is your friend!
http://marylandspeed.com/index.php?cPath=49_152
Old 08-03-2007, 07:40 AM
Teching In

I say 05 GTO.

I personally never liked the ride, inside, and the feel of a f-body. To be honest I hate all those things about those cars and thats why I got my stang (even though the int still sucks).

Any way the GTO is just a all around bad *** car. The f-bodys are a great drive train and looks car but I feel they lack everywhere else (just my opinion).

I am pretty damn sure my next car will be a used 05 GTO m6. Great power, great int, great looks, and plenty to do to them.

Quick Reply: To get Z28 or GTO?