General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

tow truck drive ruined my car tongiht. HELP ME

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2007, 01:04 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 99DWPTA
car got impounded for expired plates tonight.

i paid 26000$ for this car and i got 6K into it.
car had zero scratched zero dents.
i baby this car. and now itsFUCKED up.
I don't want to sound like the town *******, but I have to ask why you have $32k in a vehicle and didn't spend a few bucks to renew the tags? I'm guessing there is a good reason, but it seems like this was not a hard thing to prevent. Don't take that to mean I am excusing the driver and the damage they did, but nobody has asked why you had expired tags, or why you were driving on expired tags and I was just curious. Again, not giving you a hard time, I really am just wondering.

what action should i take guys?
I'd bail it out of impound. I'd contact the towing company and your insurance company and I'd renew the plates ASAP.
Old 08-12-2007, 01:15 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Man my plates expired and all I got was a ticket that said I had to pay $25 plus court cost or have the problem rectified b/f the court date.
That does suck for you though. I would be prpared to hire my own lawyer though. Sue for damages plus lawyer fees.
Old 08-12-2007, 01:16 AM
12 Second Club

i had the same thing happen. my bumper did rip off or tail light break but it f***ed up my exaust and mess the paint up on both bumpers as well as scrape the hell out of them. the wire on the winch or whatever even scratched hood and top of bumper. they refused to pay so i took them to court and they had to buy my 2 bumpers new muffler, tailpipes, and tips, and also had to pay for everything to be painted. a tow truck is responsible for your car as soon as he starts to load it. any damages done period they are responsible for. Go talk to a lawyer and file suit on their *** and get your car fixed.
Old 08-12-2007, 02:04 AM
TECH Veteran

Start with your insurance company as mentioned, give them copies of the pictures, video and copy of police report. If you have any pictures after installing the exhaust include that as well in your claim if you can't find any proof of payment. Check to see if the company you ordered from has the receipt on file, most do and will send you the date you ordered and cost.

Not saying for fact but if voice on the video says you told the tow driver to stop and he blantanly continued, it *could* fall under vandalism which is typically covered with no deductible. Ask your insurance company about that part.

The body shop will probably re-detail the car after fixing it from overspray and shop dust.

An attorney will charge you a retainer fee up front that you may not get back, almost every tow company has a legal disclaimer that if you sue them on a personal level they will not pay for your legal representation.

This is why tow companies are the most despised service across the nation and sued the most often.
Old 08-12-2007, 04:05 AM
12 Second Club

paid 26k for it. and 6k into it. and it failed emmisions. i just bought new 02 sensors for it and i was going to put them on today. but got pulled over on way home. money wasnt an issue. its the emmisions that are killing me. i even took it to straightline motorsports and they said itd pass emsions but-it didnt
Old 08-12-2007, 04:08 AM
12 Second Club

i even got my custom lisence plate sittin at the BMV. so its not like i dont want to get them renewed. cars in my moms name and shes out of town right now so car wont come out of impound till wednesday
Old 08-12-2007, 04:46 AM
TECH Junkie

sorry to hear that, hope everything works out for you.
Old 08-12-2007, 02:27 PM
12 Second Club

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

thats bullshit. **** em hard and dont stop till you hit brain......
Old 08-12-2007, 02:41 PM
Teching In

That sucks it really hard...
Old 08-12-2007, 07:52 PM
12 Second Club

See if one of the local shops you deal with would go get it to your house
with A dealer or repair plate asap, I wouldnt trust it there till wed.
Old 08-12-2007, 09:10 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,686 Likes on 1,208 Posts

paid 26k for it. and 6k into it. and it failed emmisions. i just bought new 02 sensors for it and i was going to put them on today. but got pulled over on way home. money wasnt an issue. its the emmisions that are killing me. i even took it to straightline motorsports and they said itd pass emsions but-it didnt
You say you took it to straightline.... the one in IL? If so, do you live in IL?

I'm confused. IL does not impound cars for expired plates alone. That's just a ticketed offence. My wife was pulled over once for expired plates(we just plain forgot to renew them that year....oops.) and it was just a ticket; no impound, no tow.

If the car was impounded due to you not passing emissions, that means that you've already had about 3 warnings over the last 6 months or so of the fact that your car needed to pass emissions. The final warning comes on pink/red paper rather than white. Also, long before they would impound a car for emissions, they will suspend the DL of the registered owner of the car. That warning is right on the emissions test notice sent to your house. If it's in your mother's name, that means her DL is currently already suspended if you're past the final warning test date.

It really sucks to hear about your damages, but why did you let the emissions thing go on for so long? They give people a lot of advanced notice just incase they need time to make repairs. If you took the car in for the test shortly after getting the first notice and you failed, you'd still have at least 3 months to get the repairs done and re-test.

Either way I would seek a lawyer's help here.
Old 08-12-2007, 11:16 PM
12 Second Club

well car sat in garage after it failed for a month and a half for torque converter change suspension and few other things. ive had car on road for a couple days now. and i was going home to put new 02 sensors in. and i was gonna emmision it monday.

and i live in indiana. drove an hour and half to get to straightline
Old 08-12-2007, 11:18 PM
12 Second Club

indiana state law says veichael must be towed. i offered to cop to go get my own trailer. he said no state law. car must be towed. funny thing is car had to be towed a quater mile. so all this for them not letting me either drive it to the impound yard. and or letting me use my own truck to tow it there
Old 08-12-2007, 11:25 PM
TECH Addict

I'd set the car, and myself on fire. Sounds like a mess.
Old 08-13-2007, 12:05 AM
12 Second Club

cant set her on fire. its what i work for and its my one and only love.. haha. loved the car since the day i got it. i had a v-7 2002 firebird before it in highschool. chicks digged it. it was a good daily driver. i just loveeee my new car though. i'm just mad this happened.
Old 08-13-2007, 12:29 AM
11 Second Club

Received 127 Likes on 98 Posts

Sorry to hear man..
Me personally I would of been in that Tow Truck Drivers *** if I told him to stop and he didn't..Cop there or not..I've done it before, you should see the looks on people's faces.
Old 08-13-2007, 12:49 AM
TECH Apprentice

why is the car in your mommy's name? can't afford the insurance? just wonderin.
Old 08-13-2007, 12:52 AM
Teching In

i live in illinois and sometimes you are responsible for damages that is done by the tow truck, like at school if you park really close to another cvar and crank your wheels the other way so that if they tow it it would hit the other car they will tow your *** in a heartbeat because you shouldnt of parked there and they dont have to pay
Old 08-13-2007, 12:53 AM
Staging Lane

i may have struck the tow truck operator in my furry, as for you, smart as far as taking the video's go. call up insurance im sure they will lead you in the right direction...good luck
Old 08-13-2007, 01:35 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ya u HAVE to have a flat bed and a driver thats towed a f-body before i had my lowered car towed and it still hit the tips and such but the guy was cool and he tows all our fbodies here in town.. but he wasnt called by the law so he actauly gave a **** to..

sue sue sue sue sue sue sue sue sue sue sue suesue sue sue sue sue suesue sue sue sue sue suesue sue sue sue sue suesue sue sue sue sue suesue sue sue sue sue suesue sue sue sue sue suesue sue sue sue sue suesue sue sue sue sue suesue sue sue sue sue suesue sue sue sue sue suesue sue sue sue sue suesue sue sue sue sue suesue sue sue sue sue suesue sue sue sue sue suesue sue sue sue sue suesue sue sue sue sue suesue sue sue sue sue suesue sue sue sue sue sue

Quick Reply: tow truck drive ruined my car tongiht. HELP ME