General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

WS6 or Mach 1

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2007, 08:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default WS6 or Mach 1

i like ls1 trans ams alot and im looking to buy one, but today i test drove a 2003 black Mach 1 with 35000 miles for 16,500 i like the car alot but im not sure if i should wait until i can find a ws6 or just get the mach. what would you guys do, and also how well does the mach respond to mods.

-edit- well i posted my conclusion in post 63 but nobody seemed to read that far after posting but...

im waiting for the WS6!!!

Last edited by 94 redbird; 08-18-2007 at 09:16 PM.
Old 08-16-2007, 08:58 PM
10 Second Club

What ever you do, make sure it's what you realy want. If you don't, you'll regret it. Trust me. I held out until I found EXACTLY what I wanted. Couldn't be happier. Don't how the Mach responds to mods, but I know the LS1 responds well.
Old 08-16-2007, 08:59 PM
Staging Lane

WS-6 4tw. Did you expect anything else here?
Staging Lane

u like the trans am then get one. do not get a ford! there is a lot u can do to the trans am and responds great to mods.
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

a WS6 will smoke a mach 1 and you will see the best gain from power mods on a LS1 over the Mach 1 modular engine plus you have the advantage of this site to help you with any mods you would want to do to the WS6
Old 08-16-2007, 09:01 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

WS6 no doubt. better looking and more power.

there is an orange mach for sale at a dealer i like alot though.
Old 08-16-2007, 09:05 PM

i figured it would be one sided but i like the mach 1 alot t0o and i cant afford anything more than 17000 and its hard to find one around here with low miles for that price. plus it seems like that mach has alot nicer interior but, the outside of the TA is better
Old 08-16-2007, 09:24 PM
TECH Junkie

I'm not going to lie here, I test drove a Mach 1 and I would own one if I had unlimited funds. Its a Mustang that actually has some getup and go and the interior was nice.

Get what you really want though, be patient and see what comes up, test drive both vehicles in one day if possible to see which you like best. Mach 1 is def. smaller though, I felt not really cramped, but it was less spacious. If you think the back seat in a Fbody is bad, try riding in the back of a Mustang, you got your back and neck at a angle to fit, and one leg on the center console and the other in the door. Why the hell those cars don't have just 2 seats is beyond me.
Old 08-16-2007, 09:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

Go for the Ls1, not only is it the faster of the two (not by much but still faster). It also is the bigger head turner. To everyopne who is not a gear head a mach 1 looks like just another mustang. I prefer the ride height and the styling of the TA. The LS1 reacts to mods beautifully and its always so much more bad *** to say "I own a Trans Am"...ok that last one is just my opinion
Old 08-16-2007, 09:47 PM
TECH Addict

wait it out for the ws6. If you got the mach1 you would be getting spanked by ls1s all the time making you wish you had one.
Old 08-16-2007, 09:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

I would definitely go for the WS6.
Old 08-16-2007, 09:50 PM
Banned

Well it doesn't look like anyone's going to give you an honest comparison around here, so let me do my best to help you out. I too have driven a Mach 1, and I own a T/A WS6.

Obviously, both have their pros and cons. I wouldn't say one is better than the other, its all a matter of preference. Appearance wise, both are great looking cars. The WS6 and Mach 1 packages really make each of them stand out from the regular models.

As engines go, both have great powerplants. The LS1 is probably one of the best engines ever designed, in both engineering and power output. It reponds very well to bolt ons, most guys with full bolt ons put down around 340-360WHP. A good cam will get you around 400WHP, and a high end H/C package can put you anywhere from 450-500WHP. It also achieves very good fuel economy for its size and power output. The Mach 1 engine is basically the 03-04 Cobra motor without the supercharger. Its DOHC, so its luxury car smooth and revs all the way to 7,000RPM's in stock form. However, its only a 4.6L, so the power comes on much later in the rev range than it does with the LS1. From what I've read, guys with full bolt ons put down 320-340WHP.

As for the transmissions and rear ends, its a trade off. The T/A has the much stronger transmission, and rarely do you hear of one breaking unless the car is pushing over 500WHP. The Mach 1 uses a Tremec 3650, which is hit and miss, some are fine with full bolt ons or F/I, some grenade with stock power. Such is the case with the F-Body rear (10 bolt), some give out with stock power, some guys are pushing 400WHP on the stock diff. The Mach 1 rear is a Ford 8.8, which is very strong and will support just about any amount of power.

Make your decision based on what you like, not what everyone tells you on the forums. Both are awesome cars, personally I like the LS1 engine better, but I like the way the Mach 1 drives and handles better.

Good luck.
Old 08-16-2007, 09:52 PM
9 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you want the car from a performance aspect, Ls1 car all the way. If you are getting it based on styling i could see how some might like the mustang better then ta. I personally like ta better looks wise, exterior, and interior. Mustang interior doesn't do alot for me.

Only way i would own a mustang would be 03-04 cobra, or if i got a modular mustang id have to go twin turbo. But i like to go fast, and that is my goal.

To each his own, think long and hard about what you want, and dont be compulsive. before i bought my ta i looked for almost a year about what i wanted to buy.
I almost bought an 06 TL with Nav, but i really wanted a sports car, and just got rid of my bike. So then i was on a mustang kick, i really wanted 03-04 cobra. Then i got on a c5 kick, i really wanted an frc. Then i started looking at ta/camaro. And i loved them. I found one for a reasonable price, and had money left over to mod. My gf was going to kill me if i talked about buying a car anymore and didn't just do it. once i decided a ta was the car for me, it took about 2 mo's of looking on this forum/mags/intertnet, and i actually found my car local from this site. Great deal.

Good luck, and let us know when you buy a ta

Chris
Old 08-16-2007, 09:56 PM
TECH Resident

trans am bro!!!!
Old 08-16-2007, 09:57 PM
Teching In

besides the fact that most people on here have f-bodies meaning thats what they prefer, good advice can be given
I say whatever feels better to you... no one on a forum can say get this one or that one and make you happy... I prefer t/a and thats why i drive one and am on here... but some people prefer mustangs and i got nothing against that... pick what you want but the ws6 has my vote and not just cause "ford sucks" although i dont really like ford
Old 08-16-2007, 09:59 PM

i was looking around on a mach forum and found out that they seem to respond terribly to mods compared to ls1's. as far as looks go i like the ws6 more. but can u put a KB on a mach? then you basically have a cobra(power wise)
Old 08-16-2007, 09:59 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by ONEBADASSWS6
Well it doesn't look like anyone's going to give you an honest comparison around here, so let me do my best to help you out. I too have driven a Mach 1, and I own a T/A WS6.

Obviously, both have their pros and cons. I wouldn't say one is better than the other, its all a matter of preference. Appearance wise, both are great looking cars. The WS6 and Mach 1 packages really make each of them stand out from the regular models.

As engines go, both have great powerplants. The LS1 is probably one of the best engines ever designed, in both engineering and power output. It reponds very well to bolt ons, most guys with full bolt ons put down around 340-360WHP. A good cam will get you around 400WHP, and a high end H/C package can put you anywhere from 450-500WHP. It also achieves very good fuel economy for its size and power output. The Mach 1 engine is basically the 03-04 Cobra motor without the supercharger. Its DOHC, so its luxury car smooth and revs all the way to 7,000RPM's in stock form. However, its only a 4.6L, so the power comes on much later in the rev range than it does with the LS1. From what I've read, guys with full bolt ons put down 320-340WHP.

As for the transmissions and rear ends, its a trade off. The T/A has the much stronger transmission, and rarely do you hear of one breaking unless the car is pushing over 500WHP. The Mach 1 uses a Tremec 3650, which is hit and miss, some are fine with full bolt ons or F/I, some grenade with stock power. Such is the case with the F-Body rear (10 bolt), some give out with stock power, some guys are pushing 400WHP on the stock diff. The Mach 1 rear is a Ford 8.8, which is very strong and will support just about any amount of power.

Make your decision based on what you like, not what everyone tells you on the forums. Both are awesome cars, personally I like the LS1 engine better, but I like the way the Mach 1 drives and handles better.

Good luck.
I agree with both being awsome cars. the mustang definatly has the better rear end, and the weaker trans. Dont be to afraid you can get a sfi lakewood bellhousing and tko 500 or 600 for around 2k. Add a clutch, flywheel, and your drivetrain will be builtproof to around 700 hp. Alot of the cobra guys actually swap in the 8.8 rear end. Anthor thing you might want to look into if you plan on modding is what is the fuel setup? the 03-04 cobra's have a return sytem, while the normal mod mustang 99-04 have a returnless system. most people that go FI on mod motors end up swapping in the cobra fuel tanks, and lines. Kinda pain, and alot of money too. if you want to talk to some good mustang guys i check out modularfords.com

Chris
Old 08-16-2007, 10:01 PM
TECH Veteran

You get the Stang, every WS6 that passes you (including in a race) you'll wish you had waited.

I waited two years looking for a white on white leather Y3F Z28 99+.
Old 08-16-2007, 10:04 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 94 redbird
i was looking around on a mach forum and found out that they seem to respond terribly to mods compared to ls1's. as far as looks go i like the ws6 more. but can u put a KB on a mach? then you basically have a cobra(power wise)
im pretty sure kb will work cuz the cobra is just a badder mach? of course itll take more work then doing it on a cobra since its normally n/a right?
Old 08-16-2007, 10:05 PM
Launching!

I love them both. One of my good friends has a Mach. I would say it is all in what you are looking for. Machs are harder to drive well, but they are funnnnnnnn. To me, the Mach has better SOTP performance, even though they are slightly slower. The LS1 responds better to mods, no replacement for displacement and so on......

Quick Reply: WS6 or Mach 1