General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

which y pipe

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2007, 10:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default which y pipe

i got a 2000 trans am ws6 and abouta month or 2 ago i put a slp loudmouth 2 cat back exhaust on it but didnt touch the stock y pipe. now im thinking of replacing it with something different with high flow cats on it. i decided notto do headers on the car anymore so im just curious as to what y pipe everything thinks would be a good one to get?

thanks
Old 08-18-2007, 10:31 PM
TECH Addict

I know thunderracing sells a few, Ive heard good things about the SLP Y pipe, but honestly the stock Y pipe flows really well, and you probally wont gain much from the new Y pipe or high flow cats for how much $$$ they are, you would be better off spending the money elsewhere.
Old 08-18-2007, 11:36 PM

one thing i was wondering is will putting a different y pipe with new cats make the exhaust any louder? i know headers will but with the lm2 exhaust longtubes will make it crackle to much and that isnt what i want. i like how the exhaust sounds i just wish it was a little louder
Old 08-18-2007, 11:38 PM
TECH Addict

It might be a little louder but probably not enough to notice. What headers do you plan on getting? Whichever headers you get I would get the matching y-pipe also.

BTW how do you like the SLP headers?
Old 08-19-2007, 12:15 PM

Originally Posted by waldershrek
It might be a little louder but probably not enough to notice. What headers do you plan on getting? Whichever headers you get I would get the matching y-pipe also.

BTW how do you like the SLP headers?

im not putting headers on my car. as i said in my last post the headers will make the lm2 exhaust crackle to much and i dont want that.
Old 08-19-2007, 12:27 PM
((((((Administrator))))))

Originally Posted by 2ooows6
im not putting headers on my car. as i said in my last post the headers will make the lm2 exhaust crackle to much and i dont want that.
It won't be that bad on LM2, now the LM1 on the other hand is a different story.

LM2 at least has a muffler, LM1 is a hallow empty coffee can. Or you can make it a Borla-Mouth.

Plus you wanted to get high flow cats, that really tones down the LM1 or 2. Might as well buy headers with high flow cats. Should sound just fine.

Peace,
Craig.
Old 08-19-2007, 12:56 PM
TECH Apprentice

I personally dont like the sound of an LS1 with a Loud Mouth. If you go with any aftermarket y-pipe it will make it louder, and likely very raspy. I have Pacesetter longtubes and an off road y-pipe with an unknown catback(stainless with a corsa looking muffler). I am very happy with it, but I sincerely doubt it would sound good with a Loudmouth, or almost any other catback. I think I just got lucky with this sound.

It is really trial and error. I have had a couple differant setups on differant cars, and yes it costs money, but if you want the right sound, that is what it takes.
Old 08-19-2007, 01:07 PM
((((((Administrator))))))

Originally Posted by mnypitZ
I personally dont like the sound of an LS1 with a Loud Mouth. If you go with any aftermarket y-pipe it will make it louder, and likely very raspy. I have Pacesetter longtubes and an off road y-pipe with an unknown catback(stainless with a corsa looking muffler). I am very happy with it, but I sincerely doubt it would sound good with a Loudmouth, or almost any other catback. I think I just got lucky with this sound.

It is really trial and error. I have had a couple differant setups on differant cars, and yes it costs money, but if you want the right sound, that is what it takes.
The Borla XR1 on a Loudmouth is a night and day difference. The XR1 makes the exhaust tone alot lower of a pitch.

I've had all types of gearheads with other brand of cars like a Mustang give me compliments. That was pretty shocking.

Peace,
Craig.
Old 08-19-2007, 01:58 PM
TECH Addict

Also if you gut or take the cats off it will make the car noticeabley louder, but wont add that much HP, not I doubt that hi flow cats will really change the sound that much. The main restrictions in the stock exhaust are the muffler and the manifolds, the stock cats and Y pipe flow really well for what it is
Old 08-19-2007, 02:03 PM
Staging Lane

I have pace setter long tubes, pace setter Y pipe (no cats) and a borla cat back... I really like the sound of the car.

But I'd stick to the y pipe brand that is for your headers.. Like if you have SLP headers get the SLP Y.. Pacesetter, get the pacesetter Y.. I had the texas speed Y pipe.. But that thing was like 3 or 4 pieces and just was a pain in the ***. I had pretty bad ground clearance too, so I went with the pace setter Y. I like that better personally.