General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Better to let the gas drop all the way close to empty or always have it filled full?

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2007, 01:50 AM
myk
TECH Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by BlueStreak362
ive never had a problem
We'll be here for you when you finally do.

It's simple folks, gas lubricates and cools the pump. Less fuel means less lubrication and cooling and that's bad for the pump. You wanna' gamble, head to Vegas, not on your car...
Old 08-24-2007, 07:16 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SScott
I'm surprised no one has mentioned weight and fuel economy. Full tank = more weight, less fuel economy decreased performance. I would think 1/10-1/2 tank at the most. Don't let it go empty but don't rush out and fill up all the time either. I'm sure someone smarter than me or someone with morre time or both can figure out the math. How much gas in a tank (gallons) how much does a gallon of gas weigh etc...

Gasoline weighs about 6 pounds per gallon. If my tank holds 16.8 gallons, and I choose to keep it only half full at the most, That's about 8 x 6, or 48 pounds less the car carries. Hardly worth worrying about.
Since my wife weighs a bit more than that, I can't really tell her to stay home for fuel economy reasons! Ha!
Old 08-24-2007, 07:49 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by johnnybravo
Gasoline weighs about 6 pounds per gallon. If my tank holds 16.8 gallons, and I choose to keep it only half full at the most, That's about 8 x 6, or 48 pounds less the car carries. Hardly worth worrying about.
Since my wife weighs a bit more than that, I can't really tell her to stay home for fuel economy reasons! Ha!

on the otherhand, thats why i race my car (the 91) with only a half tank of gas, and why my friends with the bucket style pump setup run with about 1/4 or less...
at the track is the only place you'll see the diff. but its there.

really though, i fill the car to the top... drive it, and then fill it up again when its low... i mean, if you do anything else, you're just making more work for yourself in trips to the gas station.. lol. you're gonna burn it all anyway.
Old 08-24-2007, 08:17 AM
TECH Fanatic

I try to never let it get below 1/4 tank so I won't burn up the fuel pump.
Old 08-24-2007, 04:38 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by beaSSt
You should never let your tank get even close to empty.

First off -- if you run out of gas you're looking at replacing your fuel pump. Go in the fuel forum here and see how many people have had to replace the pump after running out of gas. Also see how difficult it is and expensive to change a pump.

Secondly, it's the gas that keeps the fuel pump cool. It's not uncommon to have a pump fail after driving for hours with little fuel in the tank. A hot pump hit by cool gas has also caused failures.
you should never run it below a quarter to be on the safe side.
Old 08-24-2007, 07:22 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by MrDude_1
on the otherhand, thats why i race my car (the 91) with only a half tank of gas, and why my friends with the bucket style pump setup run with about 1/4 or less...
at the track is the only place you'll see the diff. but its there.

really though, i fill the car to the top... drive it, and then fill it up again when its low... i mean, if you do anything else, you're just making more work for yourself in trips to the gas station.. lol. you're gonna burn it all anyway.

You have a point there Mr Dude, I wasn't even thinking of racing applications. The reduced weight would indeed make a difference. I stand corrected.

I don't race, so I was thinking along the lines of regular street driving. But, my trans am gets 25+ mpg on the highway. I think that's just phenominal compared to my 72 olds at 15-17mpg. But then, I never could keep my foot out of the olds........
Old 08-24-2007, 07:39 PM
Staging Lane

i fill mine up when i have the money and it needs. yeah the gas cools the pump, but if u run it out you will not have to replace the pump the next day.

my buddy use to run his truck on e all the time, he'd put 10 bucks in and thats it. 70 some thousand miles no fuel pump problems. but i'm not saying it won't but i'm sayin just by doing it once it wont do it either.

just fill up when u feel like it, or have the money.
Old 08-25-2007, 12:17 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Ls1CamaroGuy87
I let it hit the "check gauges" mark before i fill up, and seems like its gonna be empty, but when i fill up, it only fills like 13.5 g at the most!, so theres still 3 gallons in that sucker. the most I have ever filled up was like 14.5 gallons, and i for sure thought I was going to run out of gas in minutes....
I was going to say something along those lines. Our cars hold about 16.9 gallons and when it hits the check gauges I have never been able to put in more than 13.5 or so gallons, which means it's not empty anyway. I don't usually let that happen, but with more than 3 gallons left I wouldn't worry too much about it.

Last edited by Cruz28; 08-25-2007 at 12:26 PM.
Old 08-25-2007, 09:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

Everyone dose something different. It doesn't make any difference when you choose to fill up. The pickup draws fuel off the botom of the tank no matter how much fuel is in the tank. What ever crap is in your tank is on the bottom of the tank no matter how much fuel is in the tank.

During winter it's better to keep the tank full to avoid condensation build up.

Re'
Old 08-29-2007, 03:09 PM
TECH Addict

I don't fill up until the check gauges light comes on. Done it on all my vehicles and never had a problem with any of their fuel pumps.
Old 08-29-2007, 04:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by beaSSt
You should never let your tank get even close to empty.

First off -- if you run out of gas you're looking at replacing your fuel pump. Go in the fuel forum here and see how many people have had to replace the pump after running out of gas. Also see how difficult it is and expensive to change a pump.

Secondly, it's the gas that keeps the fuel pump cool. It's not uncommon to have a pump fail after driving for hours with little fuel in the tank. A hot pump hit by cool gas has also caused failures.

also you suck up all the crap in the tank. i consider it empty at 1/4 tank
Old 08-29-2007, 06:57 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Cruz28
I was going to say something along those lines. Our cars hold about 16.9 gallons and when it hits the check gauges I have never been able to put in more than 13.5 or so gallons, which means it's not empty anyway. I don't usually let that happen, but with more than 3 gallons left I wouldn't worry too much about it.

same here. I let it hit E everytime because im poor in fact, ive been known to run my car at and under a 1/4 tank for a week or so at a time. No problems here. But then agian, who really likes the stock pump anyway? If it goes out, its just another excuse to buy a better upgraded one which i have for sale atm....karma?