General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Can i beat an 04 Cobra

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2007, 09:04 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

he asked about a stock cobra. not if theres any stock ones left.
Old 08-26-2007, 12:22 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 560SL
1.) He does not have more Hp to the wheels than a stock Terminator. In fact, he has about 40 less HP than most completely stock Terminators put down.

2.) His car weighs about 200 pounds less than a stock Terminator, maybe less. If it's a loaded-out Trans Am he's probably weighing in at 3450-3500 pounds. Terminators weigh about 3650. I always laugh when F-body owners bitch about how heavy the Cobras are, when their cars aren't much lighter...

3.) Stock Cobras are far from slow. They run mid-high 12s and trap about 110 MPH. That is equal with bolt-on LS1 cars.

4.) '03+ Cobras aren't supercars, but what they can accomplish (with a completely stock engine, no less) is pretty damn amazing. They're fast cars and with the ease of throwing on a twin-screw blower, they're real easy to get into the low 11s/high 10s.

Please, know what you're talking about before you post. I mean, you did type the line that's in my signature right now, so you're obviously clueless...
Looks like you are the clueless one.
1.) find me a stock cobra putting down 420-430 at the wheels, wtf?

2.)if he is loaded out and the cobra is stripped out then yes maybe a 200lb difference but most likely there is about 300lbs or so unless the cobra is a vert and then it is more.

3.) mid-high 12s is slow in my book and many stock ls1 f-bods have done high 12s and trapped 110 so wheres the big difference? Hell, bolt-on lt1 cars can do high 12s.

4.) Cam only ls1s have done 10s and 11s so having a twin-srew and doing that is not impressive in my book.
Btw what do you drive? You seem to like pretend you know alot and back up anything thats not GM built. looks to me like youre on the wrong forum, or does your mommy have all the other ones blocked out?
Old 08-26-2007, 12:38 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by capn smokey
Looks like you are the clueless one.
1.) find me a stock cobra putting down 420-430 at the wheels, wtf?
LMFAO. You really think a guy with just a torquer cam is putting down 430whp? You my friend are delusional...

He'd be lucky to put down that with stage 3 LS6 heads. I have seen plenty of cars with heads and MS4 cams put down only 450-460whp, and that cam is MUCH better for peak hp.

2.)if he is loaded out and the cobra is stripped out then yes maybe a 200lb difference but most likely there is about 300lbs or so unless the cobra is a vert and then it is more.
Okay, as stated from the factory. A completely stock Pontiac Firebird Trans Am weighs in at an astonishing 3,499lbs. The Cobra weighs in at an amazing 3,665lbs... Oh uh, so where is this extra 150lbs coming from? I'm not seeing it. I calculated out 166lbs, so where?

Oh yeah, lets not forget that with a pair of lighter rims, AND a solid axle, the car will weigh the same as your Fbody. Uh oh...

3.) mid-high 12s is slow in my book and many stock ls1 f-bods have done high 12s and trapped 110 so wheres the big difference? Hell, bolt-on lt1 cars can do high 12s.
This coming from a 3rd gen owner? Maybe if you were spraying a 300shot I may take your side, but you have heads and cam. I'd say you need to STFU.

Also, C5 corvettes ran high 12s, but people say they're fast. Cobras run mid 12s. Whats your point?

4.) Cam only ls1s have done 10s and 11s so having a twin-screw and doing that is not impressive in my book.
Btw what do you drive? You seem to like pretend you know alot and back up anything thats not GM built. looks to me like youre on the wrong forum, or does your mommy have all the other ones blocked out?
HUH??? You are talking about a car that has a completely built 9", slicks, full suspension weighs 3,000lbs WITH driver and has a T-Rex cam. Come on man... I'm tired of hearing people rant about this car. That car is set up for one thing. Drag racing... If you did a twin screw, solid axle, slicks, full suspension and made it 3,150lbs with driver, lets see who is faster... It's easy enough to know who would win buddy...

Last edited by The Black Mamba; 08-26-2007 at 12:44 PM.
Old 08-26-2007, 12:58 PM
TECH Enthusiast

2003 Sonic Blue Cobra (440/419 SAE at stock boost) ... quickest and fastest no upper and no lower pulley, non-ported, and non-sprayed 03/04 Cobra in the Country! 11.013 @ 126.51 thanks to Excessive Motorsport
Proud Member of the Mid-Atlantic Cobra Association

http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/member.php?u=11120

Thanks Hayden!

Everything I can think of at this point and time.

Engine:
K&N air kit,
Ugly Steeda idler kit/pulley (sorry Steeda but its true, change your pulley looks already)
Odyssey battery and tray (battery cover removed)
LDC cooling mod

Blower:
Stock Eaton, no upper or lower pulley and non-ported
Stock throttle body and inlet/plenum

Fuel, Induction, and Tune:
SCT Tune on 93 in 60 degree weather made 440/419 SAE and it seen 9.1 pounds of boost and had 24 degrees timing in it…

Drivetrain/ Suspension:
MGW T-56 shifter
8.8 SRA with moser 31 splines and a torsen diff (welded tubes and tq boxes)
FRPP 3.73 gears
Steeda Antiroll bar (lightest one on the market)
SPEC stage III, stock recut flywheel
26 input spline
Drive shaft loop tied into Excessive’s custom made subframes
UPR K member and A arm setup with coilovers
Tokico adjustable shocks and struts
Steeda Sport Springs (Rear)
Aluminum upper and lower control arms with spherical bushings in the uppers

Exhaust:
MAC long tube headers
MAC 3” off road mid-pipe
MAC 3” catback dumps

Brakes:
Stock Cobra brakes and rotors in the front
GT calipers and rotors in the rear

Interior:
Corbeau FX1 Pro
No passenger, rear seats, and the rear seat delete kit taken out
Rear speakers, amp, and amp rack and front door speakers removed
Drivers side seat belt along with both back seat belts removed
Foam and glue scrapped behind all the moldings including the plastic and foam behind the door panels removed
Front most portion of the insulation pulled
Boots cut from the shifter area

Exterior:
2.5 Cowl Hood
Aluminum bumper supports (front and rear)
Support bars in the doors removed
Windshield wipers removed
Windshield wiper tank removed
Fog lights removed
Rear rubber wheels stops removed

Wheels and Tires:
Weld Draglites 15X8s and 15X3.5s with MT E.T. runners and 26X10 MT slicks and also used a set of 15X8s Prostars with Hoosier 26X9 slicks

Old 08-26-2007, 01:05 PM

Received 161 Likes on 99 Posts

Damn thats a nice Cobra and great posts Mamba.
OP, you should be able to beat a stock Cobra and even a CAI/E Cobra maybe since they are challenging to launch. If you want to beat the faster ones, as well as faster LSX's around you the nitrous is a great way to do it.

Damn I wish I had bought a Sonic Blue Cobra. Smokey, you are a little off on your Cobra info, but thats what internet forums are for right?
Old 08-26-2007, 01:12 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by JKDZ28
2003 Cobra
JLT CAI
Magnaflow Catback
etc

vs

1998 Camaro SS M6

Lid, Lts, ORY, Borla, LS6 Intake

I make 340 rwhp
Cobra I raced is probably around 400rwhp

http://media.putfile.com/JKDZ28-vs-98Rsnake
nice
Old 08-26-2007, 01:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

[QUOTE]
Originally Posted by The Black Mamba
2003 Sonic Blue Cobra (440/419 SAE at stock boost) ... quickest and fastest no upper and no lower pulley, non-ported, and non-sprayed 03/04 Cobra in the Country! 11.013 @ 126.51 thanks to Excessive Motorsport
Proud Member of the Mid-Atlantic Cobra Association
you must of spent alot of money
Old 08-26-2007, 01:37 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by GMmexican
you must of spent alot of money

Sorry, think that was a mishap in communication. That is not my car. Just a long time member on www.svtperformance.com. I wish I could take credit, but I can't. The members name is ALMO, and I posted a link to his page on svt if you click above...

I was just posting that to show smokey that he made low 11s at only 440whp

Last edited by The Black Mamba; 08-26-2007 at 01:56 PM.
Old 08-26-2007, 01:44 PM
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I was just posting that to show smokey that he made low 11s at only 440whp
If that's all you were trying to get at, I could've helped. I went
11.29 with minimal mods on Nittos in a full weight Cobra on IRS
back in 2003. Fbodies have done the same though so it's really
no big deal.
Old 08-26-2007, 01:57 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by unit213
If that's all you were trying to get at, I could've helped. I went
11.29 with minimal mods on Nittos in a full weight Cobra on IRS
back in 2003. Fbodies have done the same though so it's really
no big deal.
What do you run with the KB?
Old 08-26-2007, 02:01 PM

Ive decided every American gearhead needs to own both a Cobra and an LS1 F-body to make sense of these stupid arguments. They both are worth the time and hassle to keep these reduntant arguments going.
Old 08-26-2007, 02:02 PM
12 Second Club

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

LMFAO. You really think a guy with just a torquer cam is putting down 430whp? You my friend are delusional...

He'd be lucky to put down that with stage 3 LS6 heads. I have seen plenty of cars with heads and MS4 cams put down only 450-460whp, and that cam is MUCH better for peak hp.

Okay, as stated from the factory. A completely stock Pontiac Firebird Trans Am weighs in at an astonishing 3,499lbs. The Cobra weighs in at an amazing 3,665lbs... Oh uh, so where is this extra 150lbs coming from? I'm not seeing it. I calculated out 166lbs, so where?

Oh yeah, lets not forget that with a pair of lighter rims, AND a solid axle, the car will weigh the same as your Fbody. Uh oh...

This coming from a 3rd gen owner? Maybe if you were spraying a 300shot I may take your side, but you have heads and cam. I'd say you need to STFU.

Also, C5 corvettes ran high 12s, but people say they're fast. Cobras run mid 12s. Whats your point?

HUH??? You are talking about a car that has a completely built 9", slicks, full suspension weighs 3,000lbs WITH driver and has a T-Rex cam. Come on man... I'm tired of hearing people rant about this car. That car is set up for one thing. Drag racing... If you did a twin screw, solid axle, slicks, full suspension and made it 3,150lbs with driver, lets see who is faster... It's easy enough to know who would win buddy...
you do realize that he was replying to someone else who said that a stock 03 cobra puts out 420 to the wheels right?? Also no one ever said that a camaro with a torquer cam would put out 420 to the wheels..the whole point of this thread was whether or not a cammed f-body making close to 400 at the wheels could take a stock cobra. We could all post different stuff trying to prove which is better like i could post how some people have ran 10's in f-bodys with stock internals but does that really have anything to do with this thread..no. All the original poster wanted to know is if he could take a stock cobra with what he has now and thats it.
Old 08-26-2007, 02:12 PM
11 Second Club

Ive walked on cobras with just boltons. You should be able to beat a bolton cobra if you have a cam and boltons or at least hang with it. and you definitely will beat a stock cobra with your mods, they wigh a hell of a lot more.
Old 08-26-2007, 03:21 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by LSGunZ28
Ive walked on cobras with just boltons. You should be able to beat a bolton cobra if you have a cam and boltons or at least hang with it. and you definitely will beat a stock cobra with your mods, they wigh a hell of a lot more.
Again, they weigh 166lbs more...
Old 08-26-2007, 03:41 PM

Yea, again! You can save 118lbs of that with a live axle and GT rear brakes too. The drag is almost identical too .34 SS/TA and .36 Cobra...before aerodynamics comes up.
Old 08-26-2007, 03:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by chemicalstylez
Everyone that drives those Cobra's suck complete *** at driving them anyway. I wouldn't be worried. Once in a blue moon do you find one with a good driver. Thats why they always want to go from a roll.....
dumbest thing ive ever heard... i've owned one along with 4 other buddies and and could power shift all day. Luckly you never ran into one of us behind the wheel

Last edited by Cobra2WS6; 08-26-2007 at 08:30 PM.
Old 08-26-2007, 03:47 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think this whole "wieght" issue is just embedded in every ones head...
Old 08-26-2007, 03:48 PM
Teching In

It's really hard to make an argument either way. My friend had an 03 Cobra with full bolt ons, ported blower, pulleys, etc with some weight reduction and we beat up on a lot of other 03/04 Cobras and F Bodys. He did get DESTROYED one night by a cam only/spray full weight LS1 F body on a radial.
Old 08-26-2007, 05:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by JayplaySS2
Ive decided every American gearhead needs to own both a Cobra and an LS1 F-body to make sense of these stupid arguments. They both are worth the time and hassle to keep these reduntant arguments going.
and a corvette
Old 08-26-2007, 06:15 PM
TECH Apprentice

These threads never sieze to amaze me......they just show me how many members know less than they think about stangs.

Quick Reply: Can i beat an 04 Cobra