General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Can i beat an 04 Cobra

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2007, 07:16 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Jayplay, the vids in ur sig made me wet. I dont see whats the big rivalry about Cobras vs Fbodies. Cobras come supercharged from factory so chances are they are going to be faster then a similar weight/size car. 166 pounds isnt gonna make a huge difference, if your so worried about losing to a Cobra you should FI ur fbody. Thats really the only way to make a race fair imo. Both Americans muscle cars, so this arguement is kind of dumb haha.
Old 08-26-2007, 07:31 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by capn smokey
Looks like you are the clueless one.
1.) find me a stock cobra putting down 420-430 at the wheels, wtf?

2.)if he is loaded out and the cobra is stripped out then yes maybe a 200lb difference but most likely there is about 300lbs or so unless the cobra is a vert and then it is more.

3.) mid-high 12s is slow in my book and many stock ls1 f-bods have done high 12s and trapped 110 so wheres the big difference? Hell, bolt-on lt1 cars can do high 12s.

4.) Cam only ls1s have done 10s and 11s so having a twin-srew and doing that is not impressive in my book.
Btw what do you drive? You seem to like pretend you know alot and back up anything thats not GM built. looks to me like youre on the wrong forum, or does your mommy have all the other ones blocked out?

1.) He said he put down 383 HP. You said that he would easily take a stock Cobra because he "has more HP at the wheels." Considering the fact that Cobras routinely dyno in the 380-390 HP range bone stock, how is the original poster putting down more HP than a stock Cobra? No one said anything about 430 HP but you.

2.) It has been established that the weight difference is not 300 pounds. In fact, it's about half that.

3.) Many stock LS1 F-bodies have done high 12s stock? Are you joking? It's a VERY rare occurence to have an F-body run in the 12s completely stock. In fact, just about the fastest one I've heard of ran a 12.9, and that was with Evan Smith for MM&FF driving, a great driver. About the fastest you're going to get out of a strong running stock '03 Cobra is about 12.5, but anyone who has half a brain knows that 4 tenths is a big difference. Throw a pulley on the Cobra and mid 11s are not out of the question with a tire...

4.) Cam only LS1s in the high 10s? Are you talking about Thunder Racing's stripped to the bone car with a 9-inch, slicks/skinnies, yada yada yada? Once again, a cam-only LS1 in the 10s is the exception, not the norm.

A full-weight twin-screw Cobra can run high 10s all night using moderate boost, pump gas, and never even removing a valve cover on the motor. After the run at the track, you can cruise home in complete comfort with the A/C on. That's quite a contrast from a stripped-down, loud, cammed, caged, purpose-built track car. Granted, you can get a full-weight LS1 into the 10s, but it's going to take a LOT more effort and parts than simply a $4,000 blower that two guys can install in a few hours in someone's garage.

Spare me the "biased" arguements when you obviously don't know your dick from a doorknob to cars from either manufacturer. I'm not biased, I simply know what I'm talking about, which is something you could work on in the future if anyone is going to take you seriously.

Now, for the love of God, can we stop these same redundant squabbles everytime a Cobra is mentioned in a thread on this website?!
Old 08-26-2007, 07:32 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

avg weight for fbodies was about 3400ish depending on options. some were more but some were less. convertibles are a different story.

http://www.angelfire.com/ga/cincity/4thGen_Tech.html

cobras are 3600+ easily.

http://www.austinsvt.com/cobra/0304data

http://www.supercarx.com/articles/sp...ns/03cobra.htm

my SS with an AT and TTOPS and most options is mid 3400s. obviously less optioned m6 coupes were lighter. just to add to the discussion.
Old 08-26-2007, 07:58 PM
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ULTIMATEORANGESS

my SS with an AT and TTOPS and most options is mid 3400s. obviously less optioned m6 coupes were lighter. just to add to the discussion.
To further the discussion, my full interior Cobra weighs 3,400lbs.
Now to work on shedding another 300lbs.
Old 08-26-2007, 08:05 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by unit213
To further the discussion, my full interior Cobra weighs 3,400lbs.
Now to work on shedding another 300lbs.

solid axle conversion?
Old 08-26-2007, 08:07 PM
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ULTIMATEORANGESS
solid axle conversion?
Shhh.
Old 08-26-2007, 08:16 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by USArmyZ28
166 pounds isnt gonna make a huge difference, if your so worried about losing to a Cobra you should FI ur fbody. Thats really the only way to make a race fair imo. Both Americans muscle cars, so this arguement is kind of dumb haha.
If thats the case, then we have to be fair to the Cobra. They will be allowed to run a 5.4L instead of the 4.6.
Old 08-26-2007, 08:30 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I'm a little late posting in this thread, but my dyno numbers on motor are identical to yours, only diff being that I have 4.10's. I have raced a Cobra with catback only and he was a pretty good driver, not the greatest though. I put a safe 3 car lengths on him by the time we got to 110mph. If you find a nearly stock cobra, you shouldn't have a problem at all. Pulley with a tune and you will need some kind of power adder yourself to hang. When they mod those cars, it takes some serious power to hang with a well driven, pullied cobra.
Old 08-26-2007, 09:12 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by 560SL
1.) He said he put down 383 HP. You said that he would easily take a stock Cobra because he "has more HP at the wheels." Considering the fact that Cobras routinely dyno in the 380-390 HP range bone stock, how is the original poster putting down more HP than a stock Cobra? No one said anything about 430 HP but you.

2.) It has been established that the weight difference is not 300 pounds. In fact, it's about half that.

3.) Many stock LS1 F-bodies have done high 12s stock? Are you joking? It's a VERY rare occurence to have an F-body run in the 12s completely stock. In fact, just about the fastest one I've heard of ran a 12.9, and that was with Evan Smith for MM&FF driving, a great driver. About the fastest you're going to get out of a strong running stock '03 Cobra is about 12.5, but anyone who has half a brain knows that 4 tenths is a big difference. Throw a pulley on the Cobra and mid 11s are not out of the question with a tire...

4.) Cam only LS1s in the high 10s? Are you talking about Thunder Racing's stripped to the bone car with a 9-inch, slicks/skinnies, yada yada yada? Once again, a cam-only LS1 in the 10s is the exception, not the norm.

A full-weight twin-screw Cobra can run high 10s all night using moderate boost, pump gas, and never even removing a valve cover on the motor. After the run at the track, you can cruise home in complete comfort with the A/C on. That's quite a contrast from a stripped-down, loud, cammed, caged, purpose-built track car. Granted, you can get a full-weight LS1 into the 10s, but it's going to take a LOT more effort and parts than simply a $4,000 blower that two guys can install in a few hours in someone's garage.

Spare me the "biased" arguements when you obviously don't know your dick from a doorknob to cars from either manufacturer. I'm not biased, I simply know what I'm talking about, which is something you could work on in the future if anyone is going to take you seriously.

Now, for the love of God, can we stop these same redundant squabbles everytime a Cobra is mentioned in a thread on this website?!
We can stop these redundant squabbles when Ford-loving homos like you stop arguing about this subject. You said he was making 40 less hp at the wheels than a stock cobra implying that a stock cobra makes 430ish at the wheels and then you said they routinely dyno in the 380-390 range therefore contradicting yourself. 3665 compared to 3400 is 265lbs so no it is not 165lbs like you said and the slowbra's higher CD will give the f-bod even more of an advantage. We have all seen plenty of non-cam bolt-on only ls1 cars beating or staying even with cobras so climb down off the cobras ***** and look at reality. And btw that same $4000 blower could be put on an LS1 and the Cobra would never stand a chance, so what is this bs about it taking ALOT more effort and parts to get an f-body into the 10s? So no you do not know what you are talking about, you simply read some magazines and trolled some forums in order to put on the illusion that you are wise and experienced. If you had a fast car you might actually be able to go to some races and see what happens in real life and how it differs from whats on paper.
Old 08-26-2007, 09:15 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 02 T/A 984
Ok i just got done doing all the mods to my car........02 Trans am, Pacesetter LT's, TSP ORY, and Torquer V.3 cam......i dynoed out at 383RWHP and 363Torque......trying to git this car to hang with the supercharged cobra's......can it with the current mods or will i need more and if i do need more what would u recommend i do......i would prefer to stay away from nitrous
any lightly modded cobra would walk u. but u might keep up to a bone stock one
Old 08-26-2007, 10:50 PM
TECH Apprentice

We can stop these redundant squabbles when Ford-loving homos like you stop arguing about this subject. You said he was making 40 less hp at the wheels than a stock cobra implying that a stock cobra makes 430ish at the wheels and then you said they routinely dyno in the 380-390 range therefore contradicting yourself. 3665 compared to 3400 is 265lbs so no it is not 165lbs like you said and the slowbra's higher CD will give the f-bod even more of an advantage. We have all seen plenty of non-cam bolt-on only ls1 cars beating or staying even with cobras so climb down off the cobras ***** and look at reality. And btw that same $4000 blower could be put on an LS1 and the Cobra would never stand a chance, so what is this bs about it taking ALOT more effort and parts to get an f-body into the 10s? So no you do not know what you are talking about, you simply read some magazines and trolled some forums in order to put on the illusion that you are wise and experienced. If you had a fast car you might actually be able to go to some races and see what happens in real life and how it differs from whats on paper.
YOu know......I try to stay away from stereotypes as much as possible...especially age ones. But everytime I read your posts (especially concerning mustangs) I think of how some stereos all started with some truth. And don't get me started on teh Car salesman stereo types and their knowledge of cars.

If you are smarter than you lead us to believe, you will understand what I am saying.

Face it, you don't know NEARLY as much as you would like to believe when it comes to stangs.
Old 08-26-2007, 11:29 PM
Launching!

And btw that same $4000 blower could be put on an LS1 and the Cobra would never stand a chance, so what is this bs about it taking ALOT more effort and parts to get an f-body into the 10s?
1.) My friends D1SC Procharger kit was upwards of $6,500. That's a far cry from the $4,000 you mention. Never stand a chance? Are you kidding me? Lets put this into perspective:

Say you had a Procharger on a stock motor LS1 and you were racing a stock motor Kenne Bell Cobra. The Cobra would walk you so hard that the vacuum coming off the back of the car would suck the glass eye out of your head.

Never stand a chance? Yeah, those would be the words associated with the LS1 in that scenario. Besides, you couldn't get a blower for an F-body for $4,000 anyway that wasn't used, and I'm still not sure that you could even if it was.

2.) When I say that it is harder to get a LS1 to run 10s than a Terminator, it's far from "BS." Like I said, with a Cobra, you buy the twin-screw, get some M/Ts, get an IRS brace, a tune, and have at it. With an LS1, you buy a rear end, a blower, a forged shortblock, heads, a cam, an intake, tires, a tune, and then you are at the performance level of a twin-screw Cobra.

Like I said earlier, a Cobra can do it without even lifting the valve covers. Throw the blower on the factory stock motor and run 10s in a full-weight street car that drives like stock. With the LS1, you basically have to build up the entire car, it's a much, much more labor-intensive process, not to mention the high costs associated with it. My friend has nearly $20,000 in parts and labor in his supercharged LS1.

Listen, they're definately badass cars, and if I wanted to go fast for cheap in an LS1, you could do H/C/nitrous/9-inch and be in the 10s, but you still have to do much more work, spend more money, and the car won't have near the street manners a twin-screw Cobra will.

Old 08-27-2007, 01:00 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Splitz
Just having a discussion tho....not really stupid.
I just hate the "can i beat this" threads.
Now if it was what does it take for a f-body to take a stock terminator, it would be more of a conversation piece, but I guess it's the same thing. lol
Old 08-27-2007, 03:10 AM
Teching In

We can stop these redundant squabbles when Ford-loving homos like you stop arguing about this subject. You said he was making 40 less hp at the wheels than a stock cobra implying that a stock cobra makes 430ish at the wheels and then you said they routinely dyno in the 380-390 range therefore contradicting yourself. 3665 compared to 3400 is 265lbs so no it is not 165lbs like you said and the slowbra's higher CD will give the f-bod even more of an advantage. We have all seen plenty of non-cam bolt-on only ls1 cars beating or staying even with cobras so climb down off the cobras ***** and look at reality. And btw that same $4000 blower could be put on an LS1 and the Cobra would never stand a chance, so what is this bs about it taking ALOT more effort and parts to get an f-body into the 10s? So no you do not know what you are talking about, you simply read some magazines and trolled some forums in order to put on the illusion that you are wise and experienced. .
does this guy always post random BS completely out of his *** or does he just like to make himself look like an idiot over and over again because he thinks it's cool?

This kid has to be like 17 or 18 years old to be posting this: "If you had a fast car you might actually be able to go to some races and see what happens in real life and how it differs from whats on paper" uhmm. kid, i'm pretty sure 95% of 03-04 cobras are faster than your car. sorry, time to take a bit of your own advice and come back down to reality.

as well as this:"We can stop these redundant squabbles when Ford-loving homos like you stop arguing about this subject"

this statement shows the high level of intelligence about to come from the rest of the post.

can't wait for the next genius remark from this guy!!

Quick Reply: Can i beat an 04 Cobra