General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

turbo or whipple

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2007, 08:30 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

After a lot of reading, if you don't mind a rear mount, I'd say an extensively upgraded STS kit. This is unbiased, even though I'm getting one, I've done my research, and it truely seems to be the best deal.

If you don't want to do a rear mount what so ever, you might as well just supercharge the hell out of it, even if it is less effecient, you seem to have the funds to make up for it.

On another note, since you have such an amazing amount of money to put into your car, if you have any leftover stock(or unstock)parts that you're gunna throw away, I'll take them as backups

...I'm serious. PM me.

Last edited by jeremy02; 08-27-2007 at 08:36 PM.
Old 08-27-2007, 08:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by night ghost
ill probably have a different hood so that isn't a problem you see

its not the hood...its the cowl...1/4 of the engine sits under it pretty much.
Old 08-27-2007, 09:07 PM
TECH Enthusiast

it kind of seems that you are already set on a whipple. if you have the money i say do it. be original, there is to many of the same things floating around and not enough people forging their own pathways. but a turbo/twin turbo or a D1sc would be just as good as a whipple from what i've heard. what one lacks the others will gain and any short comings can be made up in other areas.
Old 08-27-2007, 09:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

i say if you're going to be supercharged, a t56 is awesome, but if you're going turbo, you better put an auto in that bitch. wont have a damn bit of lag w/ an auto.
Old 08-27-2007, 09:38 PM
TECH Regular

LSX block with a T-101. Come get some Cobra!
Old 08-27-2007, 11:31 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

and what u say about the turbos and twin turbos ur right everything has pros and cons
but about the d1sc no way
me and my brother have had too much experience with prochargers started off with the p1sc not making enough power then got the powerful f1a which we were fairly happy about but not a procharger guy not big on centri superchargers

and about the sts, nothing against it but heard too many bad reviews on them so no way
Old 08-27-2007, 11:42 PM
Banned

Learn English, then click reply.
Old 08-28-2007, 03:42 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yea your not fitting that in your t/a. Im pretty sure youd be cutting into the windshield if you tried.

Old 08-28-2007, 03:49 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

And if your so mind-set on a roots type supercharger then Kenne Bell is the way to go.

Old 08-28-2007, 03:50 AM
TECH Enthusiast

here yo go 3.4 L whipple

http://www.lethalperformance.com/pag...fc501483179179
Old 08-28-2007, 09:33 AM
TECH Addict

Are you looking to put this in a cobra or an f-body? I dont think anyone doubted that a 3.4 whipple exists but would it mount on an LSx engine? I still say your better off going large cubes (408+ via an LSX, L92, LS1 iron block, etc) and turbo. If this is going in an f-body your going to need some significant modifications to your cowl and then your entire front end to drop the engine low enough to make it fit.
Old 08-28-2007, 02:01 PM
TECH Addict

yes thanks everybody for ur advice but some people here think they know things that they don't
first of all whipple is screw not roots
second i know there will have to be customization for the whipple to fit not a problem like i said ill have over35 k dollars to work with

and finally im glad someone realize that the 3.4 exist cause alot of people don't even know about them thanks dude

Def let us know what you ultimately decide to go with. I think the guys here just dont see the point of spending all of that money try to custom fit a whipple on there when with 35K you could build an insanely badass turbo car. Its your car though so go with what you want in there and a 3.4 whippled car would def be rare. Good luck!
Old 08-28-2007, 02:06 PM
TECH Apprentice

dude you sound pretty young, use that money and buy a house. putting 35k into a car at once is the dumbest thing you can possibly do.

but i vote whipple even tho your talking some serious modifications to fit.
Old 08-28-2007, 02:25 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by whytryz28
Yea your not fitting that in your t/a. Im pretty sure youd be cutting into the windshield if you tried.

Thank you, thats what I meant when I said it would look stupid.....car, not blower.
Old 08-28-2007, 02:30 PM
On The Tree

man, I remember when I was just 17, fresh drivers license and 35 grand in my pocket.
Old 08-28-2007, 02:32 PM
On The Tree

i don't know what the hell u are talking about they are supper high like everybody thinks there as high as a 2.3 so yes it will fit and yes it will look bad ****
Obviously, you have no idea what you are talking about.....with attitude to spare.
Old 08-28-2007, 02:40 PM
On The Tree

dude alright how many 3.4's have u seen in person, thats what i thought dude so yah
ive seen two the one on the shop car 04 cobra and one not installed yet so when u've seen one get back at me
I was just at whipple a week ago with my 03', you see I live in Fresno Ca. just two miles from the shop. Kinda hard to miss the "Big New Blower" when its sittin right there.
Old 08-28-2007, 02:51 PM
On The Tree

ok then lol well this is kinda akward lol jk
im just trying to make a point

everyone thinks that it wont fit and even goes as far to say that a whipple wont fit under a cobra hood unless they hack at it so im trying to show that it will
The 3.4 is LONGER than the 2.3 140AX. You DO need to clearance a Cobra hood to make it fit, just look on lethalperformance's web site, someone even posted the link earlier. Read it.

As for an F-body car, the ONLY comparable blower kit to possibly doing a whipple is the LM speed custom magnacharger kit, which requires lowering the stock K-member with spacers AND cutting out a chunk of the COWL, you know-where the windshield wipers are? Even then the Throttle body needs some clearancing of its own to allow the hood to close. Keep in mind, the ROOTS TYPE/ eaton magnacharger is MUCH shorter then the 3.4 is.

Even then how will you route your induction? The Magna faces backwards with a custom drive system, The Whipple pulley may cut you a nice round hole in your firewall since its that much longer.

The 3.4 will not fit without hacking up your car.
Old 08-28-2007, 02:56 PM
Launching!

what are your plans for an intercooler???? the cobra has one already and the whipple is a direct bolt-on...you will never be able to run alot of boost without one...just do a turbo and bust your brothers ***.....my car makes full boost at 3200rpm which is where I kick it at anyway and I wish now that it made more lag because the tires are going through hell.....
Old 08-28-2007, 03:35 PM
TECH Resident

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Sounds like you might be getting in over your head. Do your research on screw type or roots blowers on f-body's, all you will find is the lm speed kit or people that had to notch their windshields and thats not even for a big 3.4 whipple. I think the shop you speek of is probly just very willing to take your 35k as most auto shops are. go out and take a good hard look under your hood, if youve ever done any type of egine work then you will see just why this has never been done (most people dont like cut up windshields, fire walls, or cowls.

As for that front mount ic you speek of, those are air to air intercoolers and unless i am mistaken that whipple will need an air to water (no way of passing air through an ic before it enters the motor)

Your 17 start small, most 17 year olds cant handle 1000 rwhp but that doesnt stop them from dreaming. do your research your firebird isnt an 03 cobra.

but to answer your ? i would go w/ a twin turbo set up, get used to that power then think about making 1000+

Quick Reply: turbo or whipple