General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.
View Poll Results: Help me decide please
Keep the SS and waste 15-20k modding a depreciating asset
58.02%
Get an 03 Cobra and spend $15k for 700rwhp
41.98%
Voters: 81. You may not vote on this poll

Keep the SS or grab an 03 Cobra????

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2007, 09:01 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RooRnZ28
why would you call a 2002 SS camaro a depreciating asset? A 35th anniversary camaro SS will be worth more $$$ one day than any cobra.... and it will last longer too. I am biased toward chevys, lol so i say go with the camaro.

Mustangs are just and only chicks should drive them!
Wow, insightful opinion, genus...

Get the Cobra. It will hold its value better, you make power easier, and with a simple twin screw blower you're in the 10s with a car that drives like stock. Besides, they're much rarer than an SS which are a dime-a-dozen. They're just awesome and a cut above any F-body...
Old 09-10-2007, 09:05 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I love my SS, but I would trade it for a Termi anyday.
Old 09-10-2007, 09:12 PM
TECH Apprentice

Thats a tough call. Its going to be hard to get the info you desire on a biased site. Weather it be here or a ford forum. You have a nice car now with an interesting history behind it. You dont come across stuff like that everyday. Personally I would keep the SS. In the end its all up to you and what you think is right for you. I think you should go test drive a few cobras and see if you like it.
Old 09-10-2007, 09:23 PM
TECH Apprentice

I'm in the exact same boat! I absolutly love my WS6 but I rode in my friends cobra and fell in love! plus I terribly want a 6 speed!. However I've been looking around and am now leaning more towards a 02 or 03 z06! you can get a nice one for about the same as a cobra...sure its not gonna be the same dollar for horsepower wise but its still a beast and come on....its a f-in Z06!
Old 09-10-2007, 09:27 PM
TECH Resident

My vote goes for the SS but i would consider myself biased because i'm not a fan of mustangs/cobras/saleens etc (save the 60's). So if you don't care about a biased opinion there's no need to read any further. If you want my biased opinion, here's my .02

You use the word "depreciate"... It's true, the LS1 is depreciating in value because they don't plan on doing anything w/ them in the future and they are "old news" (at least this is what i assume you mean), since they have the LS2, LS6, and so on. BUT, you are dealing with a very potent peace of machinery. The LS1 is, IMO, a pretty "up to date" engine and can hold it's own against the new competition with the correct mods (even hang w/ some of the newer ones stock).

Part of the fun in owning a car much like these is making it your own. My vote goes to the SS because i'm biased and because i believe the LS1 is more accepting of mods and has alot more potential than Ford. Don't get me wrong, there's nothing wrong w/ the Mustang/Cobra/etc., just a friendly competitor's mindset. Plus i have a bunch of buttnutts that live in my hometown that own stock GTs/Cobras and gloat it around like they can take a modified Vette (not too mature, so i guess you could say that it's the drivers that give me the negative opinion of the car. Again, not very mature on my part, but it's kinda how i'm influenced). I don't doubt they are powerful cars and have plenty of potential, again i just am a fan of the bigger engine. You won't have to spend 20K to make it fast, you can spend under 15K and still blow your pants off.

***end rant.
Old 09-10-2007, 09:28 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 560SL
Wow, insightful opinion, genus...

Get the Cobra. It will hold its value better, you make power easier, and with a simple twin screw blower you're in the 10s with a car that drives like stock. Besides, they're much rarer than an SS which are a dime-a-dozen. They're just awesome and a cut above any F-body...

35th anniversary? slp owned show car? with papers to prove it? you better have a cobra with a ballsucking mechanism to be more rare than that
Old 09-10-2007, 09:30 PM
10 Second Club

Received 72 Likes on 37 Posts

stick with the ss
Old 09-10-2007, 09:34 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by khaos288
35th anniversary? slp owned show car? with papers to prove it? you better have a cobra with a ballsucking mechanism to be more rare than that
Not a 35th anniv car. It is an 01 that SLP optioned as an 02 to showcase the new options that were going to be avail in 02 ie 345hp pkg w/ CME, Bilstein susp, eaton posi w aam diff cover etc... etc... all of which this car has. It also has SLP Cnc'd heads installed by them at 11k all with documentation verifying this. That is why it is hard to sell but also hard to go ***** to the wall modding it. i will prob end up keeping it, who knows.
Old 09-10-2007, 09:34 PM

Received 161 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by big reg
I have been mulling this over for a long time now to be honest. I have a pristine 01 SLP SS with 49k formerly owned by SLP. They gave it every option available in 02 as it was used as their company advertising and dealer education vehicle so I guess it is a one of a kind car. I have a copy of the title signed by Ed Hamburger, email communications from them and the prev owner and their Michigan registration and insurance cards with the matching Michigan manufacturers license plate. I also have a bill of sale on SLP company letter head as well.

I have been debating getting an 03 Cobra ever since they cam out. I bought the STI new instead. I have always loved the 98-02 SS and Light Pewter Metallic has always been my fav color. I have had the car for 2 yrs now and am looking at picking up a D1SC kit over the winter.

The problem is I dont want to spend 15-20k again building a car. I did it once with my Eclipse and I will never spend that much money on a depreciating asset again.

My cousin recently sold a Whippled 03 cobra with 621 rwhp 578rwtq and it was the sickest thing I have ever been in. I can pick one up for 23k with low miles or 18-19k with over 60k or so and there are several used low mileage KB 2.2's for sale right now on SVT Performance.

I have just seen too many threads with guys grenading stock shortblocks with FI and even H/C cars which is why I have held off on modding my car. I owe 11k on my car and could prob get 15.5k for it. I have about 2.5k in new mods to sell and several K in the bank. By March I could pay cash for the 03 Cobra.

I am looking for unbiased opinions (I know that is hard on this site) and will be psoting this on SVT Performance as well. Thanks in advance guys
Now just take out 200lbs and add 80rwhp. Cobra fo sho. Plus you will be able to drive it for a year or two and sell it (if you changed your mind) for what you paid for it OR MORE.
Old 09-10-2007, 09:41 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by DansRedz28
if you know anything about the cobras 700whp the block dosnt last long lol!!!! Then your in the big $$$$$
you're delusional. theres some stock longblock cobras making 1k at the wheels. couple weeks ago saw one making 1k through and automatic on a reman motor. the thing about them is you cant skimp on tuning or buying good fuel.
Old 09-10-2007, 09:43 PM

Originally Posted by RooRnZ28
why would you call a 2002 SS camaro a depreciating asset? A 35th anniversary camaro SS will be worth more $$$ one day than any cobra.... and it will last longer too. I am biased toward chevys, lol so i say go with the camaro.

Mustangs are just and only chicks should drive them!
Yea, well hold our breath on that one. When the 09's come out, sorry to say the 2002 will be worth even less. Everyone will want the more refined version. Dont get mad at me. Now the only S/C Cobra that only ran for 2 years, come on.
Old 09-10-2007, 09:47 PM

Originally Posted by 88blackgt
you're delusional. theres some stock longblock cobras making 1k at the wheels. couple weeks ago saw one making 1k through and automatic on a reman motor. the thing about them is you cant skimp on tuning or buying good fuel.
Ive seen 2 LS1's locally eat it (1 spun a bearing and the other ate a ring) with a 150 shot and a cam only. Thats only a 500rwhp car. Point is, damage CAN occur at any time. With a good tune and good fuel, the Cobras will hold up to anything you can throw at them. It sure is nice to have DD street manners while still making 750-800hp on pump gas.

OP, this should help.

http://mustangvideo.vidiac.com/recen...71016e36a9.htm
Old 09-10-2007, 09:51 PM
Launching!

Both are awesome....I would trade my SS for a Terminator, but a Terminator is also worth alot more than my SS.
Old 09-10-2007, 10:11 PM
Launching!

either way you can get a built 6.0 block into your ss with a turbo and a rearend for way cheaper that 15k, that'll hold all the power you can want, and make all the power you want, plus (i know this is gonna start crap) but i like the way the ss looks over the cobra, the cobra front end looks like a fat women with a unibrow
Old 09-11-2007, 12:10 AM
TECH Resident

regular SS, get rid of it
your paticular car's history... keep it. And *******-a... 15-20k? Where the hell does that come from?
Old 09-11-2007, 12:22 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by PhantomR/T
And *******-a... 15-20k? Where the hell does that come from?
You've never built a car from the ground up, have you?
Old 09-11-2007, 01:41 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by aaronloveszztop
and there is something sinister about that snake on the grill and that whine that'll make most f-bodies think twice.
won't make me think twice...sts rear turbo, i got a whine of my own.

also, i thought the same as blackmaro99, sounds like you already made up your mind by the way you worded the poll options. if the terminator is what you want, then do it, they are sick cars and got plenty of *****. i almost bought one, but then remembered that i absolutely love f bodies more than my own right nut, so i didn't. i voted keep the ss because that is what i would do, but sounds like you would be more happy with the cobra. good luck with that decision.
Old 09-11-2007, 05:45 AM
TECH Resident

I have not made up my mind yet to be honest. The poll was worded that way b/c I was being honest with myself. After thinking it out and calculating, it would prob be cheaper to mod the SS if I choose to as I only owe 11k on it.

I already have Headers, ORY, Cam, valvetrain, TB etc new in the box sitting in my closet... and according to SLP CNC'd heads as well. I am more concerned with the price of a good shortblock, FI system preferably D1SC procharger and a rearend to be honest with all the labor costs.

Problem is I know the history of the car and looked for over a year before I found my "perfect car" and this was it in every way. I will prob keep it to be honest and might just buy a Terminator next year if all goes well. I dont know if I can part with the SS.
Old 09-11-2007, 09:08 AM
TECH Addict

yeah i have to agree with Roo, except for the gay part for cobras. i like the 03-04 Cobras and i would love to have both, but i want to know where you pulled the 15-20K from? you're ***? **** 3K can get you at 500Horse and that's with out a supercharger to.
Old 09-11-2007, 11:26 AM
Teching In

btw--have you ever heard of a high mileage 03-04 COBRA...NO. [Cobra's have cooling problems stock..I have been told] [/QUOTE]

i actually used to own a 136,000 mile 03 cobra that i bought in north carolina. it was a more solid car than my ls1 not to say i liked it better because i like them both, but the cobra used less oil than the ls1 and ran better. plus the guy i sold it to pullied it and is making close to 500 at the wheels with no problems. the only reason you dont hear of high milage cobras is because they are not as old as f body cars