General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.
View Poll Results: Help me decide please
Keep the SS and waste 15-20k modding a depreciating asset
58.02%
Get an 03 Cobra and spend $15k for 700rwhp
41.98%
Voters: 81. You may not vote on this poll

Keep the SS or grab an 03 Cobra????

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2007, 11:38 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 560SL
Wow, insightful opinion, genus...

Get the Cobra. It will hold its value better, you make power easier, and with a simple twin screw blower you're in the 10s with a car that drives like stock. Besides, they're much rarer than an SS which are a dime-a-dozen. They're just awesome and a cut above any F-body...
haha, i can see this one starting up again? didn't choco already prove you wrong before? i wouldn't say an SS is a dime-a-dozen. maybe Z28 down but not an SS.
Old 09-11-2007, 11:42 AM
11 Second Club

"Keep the SS and waste 15-20k modding a depreciating asset"

You made your choice right there.
Get the Cobra.
Old 09-11-2007, 12:03 PM
10 Second Club

I've worked on the both. Cobras might have been designed by toddlers. That cobra body is nothing special, its a GT at heart that sucks ***** to work on.

Stick with the SS.
Old 09-11-2007, 12:16 PM
TECH Enthusiast

If i could do it all over again, I'd go Cobra for sure. For the time and money spent versus the two, in my opinion the Cobra wins hands down. I have several friends with terminators and after riding in a 600+ monster like that I was convinced they were real deal. My best friend has a 04 KB Cobra making a little over 600 and the wheels, black, slammed, and wearing 335's!!! That car is way sexier then any SS by a long shot.
Old 09-11-2007, 12:28 PM
On The Tree

They're both badass cars. However, the stock shortblocks are not as INVINCIBLE as some people tend to think they are. Now if Ford had put a decent set of pistons in them from the factory, they'd be set. Either way, they both have their pro's and con's but I'm not one to build a car from stock form so its to hard of a decision for me.
Old 09-11-2007, 12:30 PM
TECH Addict

Get the Cobra, because that is a 2 year run car....and when it was out it was the baddest car on the streets, usually that equates to being a car worth money at some point later down the road.
You could also just buy a 99 Anniv. T/A and mod the hell out of it, or a CETA or something of that nature...
Old 09-11-2007, 12:50 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by onefastss223
They're both badass cars. However, the stock shortblocks are not as INVINCIBLE as some people tend to think they are.
Yup, my buddys Cobra has only 18K and it's on the 3rd engine. The first 2 went with just bolt-ons, then he got pissed, told the mechanic "I want 600 RELIABLE HP" and went all out with a 302 stroker, p/p heads, stage 2 cams, 2.3 Whipple, etc......and made 608 at the wheels. This was over $19,000.

The car is awesome, I just hope it lasts this time.
Old 09-11-2007, 12:56 PM
Staging Lane

OK here is the deal. I had an 02 trans am 6sp car that was almost paid for that I traded in on an 03 Cobra when they first came out as I just had to have one. I kept it for almost 2 years before coming back to the LS1 crowd and buying an 02 SLP SS 6sp car. As far as the mods go how much power do you really need. You can mod your current car to be as fast as you want it to be (the potential is endless). So power between the 2 makes no difference to me. And don't believe the hype you really think that all you have to do is throw a Kenne Bell blower on the car for 5k and you're done. That is not the case at all. Why don't you do some more research on SVTPerformance.com and ask how much money they have tied up in their cars and you will see what I'm talking about. For me I just did'nt really like owning a Ford and at every red light I came to all I heard was nice mustang not nice cobra. I didn't like the seating position, IRS sucked, fit and finish was the same as a regular mustang. Something else you need to look into is how these high horse power cobras are holding up. Yeah they will make the power but if you beat on them they are just like anything else and will blow up (price an 03-04 cobra motor) very exspensive. After owning both I really don't think that one is better than the other. They both have their strong points. It's really just a matter of opinion. I think the fact that you have a fully documented car makes yours something to hold on to but like I said it's all a matter of personal choice.
Old 09-11-2007, 01:25 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by onefastss223
They're both badass cars. However, the stock shortblocks are not as INVINCIBLE as some people tend to think they are. Now if Ford had put a decent set of pistons in them from the factory, they'd be set. Either way, they both have their pro's and con's but I'm not one to build a car from stock form so its to hard of a decision for me.
where are you getting this?
Old 09-11-2007, 02:32 PM
On The Tree

1. Cobra
2. SS

Both fun cars, but the Cobra gets then win on this one. Both of my cars are low mileage garage queens- but the Cobra has all around better build quaility, is EASIER to work on than then SS and a much higher fun factor- HANDS DOWN.

The only advantage the SS has is better traction.........
The SS is more modded than the Cobra even.

Old 09-11-2007, 02:46 PM
On The Tree

........And don't believe the hype you really think that all you have to do is throw a Kenne Bell blower on the car for 5k and you're done. That is not the case at all. Why don't you do some more research on SVTPerformance.com and ask how much money they have tied up in their cars and you will see what I'm talking about.......
Your right about that......if your counting supporting mods like clutch and beefing up the rear end which would be a good idea.

Otherwise "Twin Screw" upgrade (whipple in this case), KB BAP, 60lb'ers, MAFia or SCT maf and a dyno tune (including X-cal) can be accomplished for between $5-5,500.

And really how many LSX cars go built motors, without shelling out the extra $$ to replace the weak links downstream too?

.....For me I just did'nt really like owning a Ford and at every red light I came to all I heard was nice mustang not nice cobra.........
I get "nice car" (which it is), "nice Cobra" (which it is) and occasionally "nice mustang" (which it is)
Old 09-11-2007, 02:47 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by khaos288
either way you can get a built 6.0 block into your ss with a turbo and a rearend for way cheaper that 15k, that'll hold all the power you can want, and make all the power you want, plus (i know this is gonna start crap) but i like the way the ss looks over the cobra, the cobra front end looks like a fat women with a unibrow
i hope you don't mind but i stole your cobra front end description for my sig...except i fixed "woman"
Old 09-11-2007, 04:24 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 1meantransam
haha, i can see this one starting up again? didn't choco already prove you wrong before?
Choco? Proving somebody wrong? Uh, I'm afraid that you're mistaken. That tool only proves people wrong in his own mind, he's an embarassment to this website.

Now, that being said, yes, the Camaro SS is FAR more common than the 03-04 Mustang Cobra. The original poster's car has some interesting history, but from the outside it looks just like the other million running around just like his. The Cobra isn't extremely rare by any means, but its production numbers are far lower than those of the Camaro SS.

Trust me, a Terminator will command more respect from true enthusiasts...
Old 09-11-2007, 04:31 PM
TECH Addict

Correct, but it's still rarer in terms of seeing a SS or a regular camaro. kind of like around here sence you me and choco got in that arguement (which was won by us) there have been a ton of f-bodys moving in and they are all WS6s. seems to me the upped pontiac model (WS6) is the more common of the birds, at least here.

I love cobras to though, i still think that a LS1 is far better build platform. but the cobras are a sweet,fast,mean car and i would buy one right now if i had the extra cash to blow on it. that way my T/A can stay in the garage and the cobra can be my fast DD
Old 09-11-2007, 04:40 PM
TECH Addict

I'd keep your SS stock if it has the history you say it does. Mustangs will always be around to mod after your car is paid off. Besides you can't actually tell me that a Cobra looks better than an SS!?
Old 09-11-2007, 04:53 PM
Teching In

1st with the two cars side by side, which one appeals the most to you (hp not included in comparison, only appearce and styling.)

2nd (if you haven't drove a cobra) test drive one and compair the two (perferably a non moded cobra). If you don't like the handling of the non moded cobra you more than likely will not like the handling of the moded one.

If both answers are the same you will have your answer.

You can spend 5-6k on the SS (Turbo) and get around that hp, but how long will the motor and/or drivetrain will last is a question that only doing it will tell because each car is different, some are running 500+rwhp on stock motor ok and some blow, same can be said about cobras as said previously ( How the car is drove, tuning, and matching up the set-up will also be factors in engine life). HP is great for dyno numbers but usable hp is all that matters when racing and I would assume the cobra isn't factory built to run that HP effecently without other mods to drivetrain and suspension to HOOK that kind of power so I would say there is more money to be spent over the 5k to make use of that hp. More HP = More Money, regardless which one you pick.

Both cars will depreciate. But a well taken care of SS will not drop much more than it already has, the cobra will lose more over time. SS's are not a dime a dozen, do a search on auto trader for 98-02 SS and 03-04 cobra and see which one has more listings at any distance and that's 5 years of production versus 2. Alot of late model fbodies are gone now from wrecks and being parted out.

Pick the one YOU like the best or keep SS and later get the Cobra, then you can eat your cake and have it too!!! All that matters is that you enjoy driving it.
Old 09-11-2007, 04:58 PM
TECH Addict

JMHO, I wouldn't have a 03-04 Cobra. I used to be a Ford service advisor and saw the same engine/transmission problems from those over and over. No matter what car you spend money on, you won't see it back. It also comes down to what you like driving better. I drove those brand new and they didn't "do it" for me like the Z28 did. I've had 6 Fbodys, one 96 Cobra Vortech, 94 GT convertible, 93 LX 5.0, and a 95 Mustang GT-S. So you can't call me a Ford hater. Our opinions really don't matter, but remember, you're on a LS1 forum.
Old 09-11-2007, 05:05 PM
TECH Regular

hmm..tough call man..i'd prolly go with the Cobra. My freind has exhaust..tune..pulley, and a ported stock blower..and made 498 RWHP on a dynojet..The car sounds amazing, and drives like its completely stock.
Old 09-11-2007, 05:13 PM
TECH Resident

Interesting poll results to say the least. I am kind of surprised how close it is on this site. I love everything about my SS over 03 Cobra's. With it's documented history it is rarer and in my opinion better looking. I think I just needed someone to tell me to keep the F-body as I was having second thoughts. I think the appeal of a Twin Screw blower draws me to them.

As for the guy saying where did I get 15k from my ***, have you ever built a car from the ground up. If you think you just slap a turbo kit on a NA car and go you need to read the sticky at the top of the FI forum or build one as I have. if and when I build this car it will not be slapped together or cob jobbed. I will be building the rear, tranny, shortblock etc... to be somehwat reliable.

As far as where I got 5k for modding the cobra from, any one I have looked at usually has full boltons, cooling mods susp etc.... I found 2 diff KB 2.2's for 2400. Inj, BAP, tuning etc... and I am right around 5 k. Who the hell has a stock Cobra anymore.

I am leaning towards just picking up a D1SC kit, installing with the cam headers etc... I already have in my closet and running it with 100 octane at around 550 rwhp and pray it holds for a few months atleast. I will then check around to see if it is cheaper to have the shortblock built by a local shop or just purchase a shortblock from a vendor.

To be honest I have driven Cobras before and hate everything about the interior ergonomics. I just had to move my cousins this weekend and once I got in I was like what the **** is this cluster **** of a layout. It has the MGW shifter and I still had to reach a mile for the shifter and I am 6 foot tall.

Last edited by big reg; 09-11-2007 at 05:44 PM.
Old 09-11-2007, 09:02 PM
TECH Addict

I find it hard to think someone could like both, but I have seen some who own both. I never "fit" right in the SN95 up cars.