General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Is paying extra for WS6 Worth It?

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2007 | 03:20 PM
TECH Senior Member

performance is negligable between the 2 packages, the WS6 will command a premium over a non WS6 car. IS it worth it, depends on what the differnece in the market is between the 2 models, when I purchased my car in 2002, the difference was about $1000, so it was a no brainer to get the WS6 for similar money. I have now seen some markets where a ws6 will command 3000-4000 more than a base Ta, in that case, get the TA, and enjoy it. You saved the money up front.

Ryan
Old 09-11-2007 | 03:42 PM
10 Second Club

If you plan on just driving the car on the street and your going to keep it stock than go with a WS6. If your going to get into all the performance mods than go with a regular Trans Am or even a formula. I have a WS6 and ended up buying A Ram Air HO hood just to be different, I brought a SLP lid, I'm about to change my shocks all the way around, I removed my front sway bar and drive around without one so I can get better weight transfer. If I had a Trans Am to start with it wouldn't have mattered. Hopefully you just leave it stock and drive it cause once you start modding these LS1's you become a crack head for more power and it never stops. I wish I could be normal sometimes and just leave **** alone. I ripped into my car when it only had 750 miles on it and threw my warrenty(sp) in the garbage and tore into a perfect car that still had the new car smell. I think sometimes why couldn't I leave it stock, then I think what fun would that be
Old 09-11-2007 | 03:43 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 30thanniv
Well since everyone here on ls1 is going to retire off the sale of their car, I would say it doesn't matter which you get.
Sell it? Heck I'll keep it, and when I retire, I'll have More Time to drive it! Sounds like a plan!
Old 09-11-2007 | 04:19 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 30thanniv
Well since everyone here on ls1 is going to retire off the sale of their car, I would say it doesn't matter which you get.
hahaha, so true...
Old 09-11-2007 | 04:28 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I like the WS6's better than just the regular T/A. If you have the money and are going to go ahead and get the hood like a lot of T/A owners do, I would say get it. It will have a better resale value too, but as far as performance there isn't a huge difference.
Old 09-15-2007 | 11:58 AM
Launching!

i used to have an 00 ws6, and raced a regular ta one nite, he got the jump on me but i caught him quick and left him behind, my car was stock, talked to him at the next light and he said all he had was a cat back, not sure if he needed the driver mode,but mine was faster also an m6. not sure what his was. in the end get what you can aford. if you dont have a bunch of money for modes,but can swing for the ws6 then get it. they also get more atention
Old 09-15-2007 | 01:12 PM
11 Second Club

Well, if you have any plan on modding it, which you should, don't bother with the WS6. My TransAm gets WAY more looks than a stock WS6. Take the money you save and get a cam/intake/exhaust/basic suspension upgrades. Get the hood too if it is that important.
Old 09-15-2007 | 03:32 PM
11 Second Club

As stated many times in this thread, if you are going to mod it, get the base TA. Let the uninformed people ask you "Is it a Ram Air?" or "Is it a WS6?", and when you reply "No.", let them think your **** is slow. It's common knowledge among non-LS1 owners that WS6/SS is faster than TA/Z28. I have an aftermarket hood and WS6 wheels, but because I'm missing the badge and RPO code on my door, I'm still slow.
Old 09-19-2007 | 10:42 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by SweeTbone
As stated many times in this thread, if you are going to mod it, get the base TA. Let the uninformed people ask you "Is it a Ram Air?" or "Is it a WS6?", and when you reply "No.", let them think your **** is slow. It's common knowledge among non-LS1 owners that WS6/SS is faster than TA/Z28. I have an aftermarket hood and WS6 wheels, but because I'm missing the badge and RPO code on my door, I'm still slow.
it's funny you say that because I have all the badging off of my car after repainting the whole thing. It is an SS but people still ask " it IS an SS right?" Non owners just don't get it. It made me feel good to get into an SS but in the end having the package always makes me hesistant to get a mod that strays far from OEM styling. So it's strange just look at the price man, people want to much for their F-bodies.....to those non die hards it's invaluable because they aren't made anymore yet they are selling it..hummm
Old 09-20-2007 | 05:59 AM
'Bird Director

From: Central Indiana Honors: 4th grade spelling bee contestant

Originally Posted by RPM WS6
[B]When I bought my WS6 I thought I was getting more than what I was. Shocks/springs on the '00+ models are the same as a base T/A, only suspension/handling upgrades are the wheels/tires and the 32mm front sway bar. Is the hood and wheels worth the extra cash? Probably not. The car will perform 99% the same as a base T/A. But if you like the look, and have the cash, then either buy the WS6 or just get the hood/wheels later if you want to save a bit.
Couldn't have said it better myself.
Old 09-20-2007 | 11:49 AM
Launching!

2 great points:

Originally Posted by RPM WS6
...in the end it's YOUR money so you should buy what YOU like and not what others tell you to.

I was more concerned with condition and mileage.

I was looking for a T/A with less then 100,000 km on it. I happened to find mine @ 41,000 km, red on tan (I wasn't being fussy about color, but I did love that combo), and it happened to be a WS.6.

That being said, I have read a lot of threads on here about the fitting of aftermarket hoods on our cars, I suppose it depends on your ability to do body work (I have none) or if there is a great shop in your area to trust to make sure your hood lines up correctly. Add the price of the aftermarket hood itself & getting it painted, but that all depends on what resources you have available to you. But as I quoted above, if you like the WS.6 style hood, the the extra $$$ might be worth it for you.

Last edited by Canuck13; 09-20-2007 at 11:55 AM.
Old 09-20-2007 | 12:01 PM
TECH Addict

If your going to end up putting that hood on anyway, you my as well get a WS.6 now. It will probably end up saving you, and hold it's value a little bother. I recently sold my SS for a Z28, but that stuff doesn't bother me.
Old 09-20-2007 | 12:12 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Neither...

WS7 > ALL!!

Aztek T/A WS7 & 70 RAM AIR IV T/A
Moderator @ LS2, FAST LS1, FUELSLUT,
The F-Body Hideout, LS1Turd & ChopperForums
Old 09-20-2007 | 12:24 PM
12 Second Club

Wow that second pic ^ is awesome

I found my WS6 relatively cheap and I think if you look and wait you will find a good deal on one too.
I used to have a 95 ws6 "Clone" and I never liked the fact it wasn't a real ws6 ~ not because of the performance side but rather the collectibility. I knew I wanted one of the last body style production of a real ws6....I may keep it forever who knows
Good luck and let us know what you end up getting.
Old 09-20-2007 | 12:33 PM
LS1Tech Administrator
20 Year Member

Originally Posted by sworaz
I used to have a 95 ws6 "Clone" and I never liked the fact it wasn't a real ws6 ~ not because of the performance side but rather the collectibility.
A basic WS6 will never be collectible. There were just too many of them built, and they offer no noticeable performance advantage over a base T/A. They will always bring a bit more cash at resale than a base T/A, but there will never be a mega-dollar difference between a base T/A and a WS6.

On the other hand, if you want a collectible LS1 Trans Am, you'll need to buy something like a 30th Ann. WS6 or CETA.

If you plan to buy a basic WS6, buy it because you like the car, not because you hope that it'll be collectible.... otherwise you will be disappointed in the future.
Old 09-20-2007 | 12:41 PM
12 Second Club

FWIW, in 2002, they built about twice as many WS6 Trans Ams as NON WS6 Trans Ams. A WS6 should be easier to find if anything.

Bottom line, if you like how the hood and wheels look...... BUY IT. If it's not that important..... don't.

Personally, I decided to save teh $3500 it cost new and put that $$ towards mods later. I'm glad I did.
Old 09-20-2007 | 12:53 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by silverTA2002
FWIW, in 2002, they built about twice as many WS6 Trans Ams as NON WS6 Trans Ams. A WS6 should be easier to find if anything.

Whoa

I didn't know that

Makes sense though since the majority of T/A's I see in FL are in fact WS6's
Old 09-20-2007 | 01:04 PM
Launching!

get an LS1
build it.

ws6 or not.
you wont notice a difference.