General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Just got my permit today!

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2007, 04:37 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by CamaroLover
Sweet....right now though, I don't want a fast car. I just want to learn ....but one thing...is a 97' Nissan Sentra strong enough to do a burnout? I don't think it is but I'm going to give it a shot....
please dont even attempt to do a burnout in a nissan sentra. you will get laughed out of the parking lot at school.
Old 09-13-2007, 04:45 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just don't do stupid ****..... like burning out in a Sentra.
Old 09-13-2007, 04:54 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by fortmyerspolice
Just don't do stupid ****..... like burning out in a Sentra.
Wise advice, listen to that and you'll be good to go. But seriously the way laws are now a days, its stupid to do stupid **** when you first get your license b/c insurance is already goin to be a bitch. Just not worth it
Old 09-13-2007, 05:18 PM
TECH Addict

I swear man......you get off the NJ Turnpike and there's a highway the limit is 85. There's higher too. I know in Florida they have limits of 90 and my brother told me some of the bigger roads are 105......but I'm not 100% sure on the 105.

But yeah, I hope it doesn't get old. For now it's a 97' Nissan Sentra...it doesn't even have the RPM meter, lol. But next June when I'm 17, I'm looking into getting an LS1 hopefully.
holy **** where in FL? that's where i live and i havn't seen anything about 75. and i have travelled the whole state to my new place in NC several times.

Sweet....right now though, I don't want a fast car. I just want to learn ....but one thing...is a 97' Nissan Sentra strong enough to do a burnout? I don't think it is but I'm going to give it a shot....
same car i started off in, and only way i could burnout was reverse to 10 MPH and then slam in drive and floor it. BTW this was my beater and i had no care in the world for this POS
Old 09-13-2007, 05:21 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by 99camarosupersport
If you get an LS1 for your first car, you'll most likely die especially if your not comfortable.
I've had my '99 Camaro Z28 for 3 years (17-20). It just takes a responsible young adult who humbles himself/herself when learning how to drive a performance oriented vehicle. Also respect for the law goes a long ways today.

I do have to agree with you though. For the most part I wouldn't recommend it. Not only for the SAFETY issues but also because of the COST (gas, insurance, maintenance, repairs, traffic violations, etc.).
Old 09-13-2007, 06:24 PM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

just please dont get a fbody yet learn to drive first then be careful lol. Im 18 btw got the car when i was 17 so im not saying just cause your young but you have to be careful and not **** around
Old 09-13-2007, 06:26 PM
Launching!

Hey, do us all a favor and post up when your about to go drive that way we can stay off the roads. J/K, congrats I can remember when I got my permit and my license. I had a big jacked up truck, but I respected it and never got in trouble except that one time I got stuck in the mud.
Old 09-13-2007, 06:49 PM
11 Second Club

When I got my permit at 16 I took my brother's 00 TA A4 around the block with my mom and I accelerated from 0-10 mph at about 1/4 throttle and have been hooked on these cars ever since. I got my 02 SS about 4 months before my 18th birthday. I've never even been pulled over in my car. High powered V8s are incredibly fun but while you're on the street just enjoy the looks and the sound of the exhaust. Keep the racing to the track, it's better in every way.
Old 09-13-2007, 07:09 PM
Staging Lane

On the MPH, it might be BS but it wasn't intentional. I feel embarrassed now, lol...But yeah, like you guys said, I'm not intending to race or do really stupid things in the Sentra; maybe a burnout but I don't think it's going to work with it I'm just going to learn and get some experience under my belt before I buy my own car.
Old 09-13-2007, 07:23 PM
TECH Resident

I remember when I got my permit. Boy that was along time ago Aug. 05 got it the first day I could. Odly enough the cars I got to learn to drive in were an 03 Avalanche and a 05 Equinox. I had never ridden in a F-body except my dads 94 Z when I was 4. I ended up buying my car a week before I could get my license and have only been pulled over once. Got pulled over for not signalling a lane change, just got a warning nothing else. That was almost a year ago and I haven't had a run in with the law since then *knock on wood*.

Just be safe and mature if you get one and you should be good. Don't do any stupid **** like racing or anything.
Old 09-13-2007, 07:31 PM
Teching In

I live in Texas and know that I-10 between San Antonio and El Paso has an 80 mph speed limit. That limit was changed sometime last year.
Old 09-13-2007, 07:40 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

for any question at all about speed limits......just look at the link i poted earlier in the thread. nowhere in the US is there a speed limit that is 80 mph....75 is the max, at least according to that chart.
Old 09-13-2007, 08:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

I knew a kid that used to do reverse to drive burnouts in his 4cyl accord. Definately looked like a D-bag doing so. So yea, don't bother trying lol. Atleast not in the presence of others you might get yelled at. The '99 GAGT I used to have only would do a burnout if I had the ebrake pulled and that car had fairly DECENT power 175hp and 205 ft-lbs torque.
Old 09-13-2007, 08:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

Be safe and enjoy driving! Good luck finding an LS1!!
Old 09-13-2007, 09:07 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by kyles2000z
for any question at all about speed limits......just look at the link i poted earlier in the thread. nowhere in the US is there a speed limit that is 80 mph....75 is the max, at least according to that chart.
Couple of spots in Texas that have an 80mph limit.
Related story
Old 09-13-2007, 10:26 PM
Staging Lane

Yeah, the burnout this is just something I've always wanted to do and if I decide to do it, it's when no one is around for sure, lol....the speed limit above 85 I asked my dad about and he said it might've been when we were in Canada like 10 years ago.

But yeah, with my mom's schedule, I should be driving on Sunday
Old 09-13-2007, 11:38 PM
Teching In

Just tossing it out there, I heard, that in Montana there is a road with no speed limits. I hear there are no "legal" limits, but they do use discretion with pulling people over. Who knows though, one of those random "through the grapevine" things i've heard
Old 09-13-2007, 11:51 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by DonnyD
Just tossing it out there, I heard, that in Montana there is a road with no speed limits. I hear there are no "legal" limits, but they do use discretion with pulling people over. Who knows though, one of those random "through the grapevine" things i've heard
there was back in the day, probally like 10-15 years ago, but as usual the government took the fun outa it, probally b/c some dumbass really screwed up and sued someone and ruined it for everyone
Old 09-14-2007, 12:57 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by chae
I've had my '99 Camaro Z28 for 3 years (17-20). It just takes a responsible young adult who humbles himself/herself when learning how to drive a performance oriented vehicle. Also respect for the law goes a long ways today.

I do have to agree with you though. For the most part I wouldn't recommend it. Not only for the SAFETY issues but also because of the COST (gas, insurance, maintenance, repairs, traffic violations, etc.).
I got my SS when I was 17 about 3-4 years ago, and let me tell you that was ALOT different than if I had gotten it at 16.... (ok so i was 17 for a month or two tops when I got it, then 18.)
I'm really glad I didn't have that car when i was 16, my dad made me start out on 4cyl. avenger, then I saved and got a v6 camaro, then the SS.
Thank your parents for LETTING you not start out in an LS1 lol. Plus, it's alot better to you when YOU actually buy it.
Old 09-14-2007, 01:12 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by PonyTamr
Posted limits are one thing, there are stretches of highway where law enforcment won't pull some one over for doing 80-90 simply because EVERYONE is going that fast, so speeding (with in reason) is decriminalized. I know on I-68/70 here in maryland you can pass a cop doing about 80 in a 65 and he won't think anything of it.
I second that I-70 people fly down that road. Coming home from Towson today i followed a guy home goin 90 with no problems.