General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

How much fuel should you keep in the tank to cool the fuel pump?

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2007, 04:24 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by The Black Mamba
if you let it get below 3/4 of a tank, it will start a HUGE fire!
True Story
Old 09-18-2007, 05:15 PM
TECH Senior Member

Question

Originally Posted by RE AND CHERYL
It's all BS. The forth gen f-body draws fuel from the tank into a bucket that holds about a quart of fuel. From there it's pumped to the engine. Fuel returning from the engine is also dumped back into the bucket so it remains full at all times regardless of how much fuel is in the tank. Because the fuel pump is located in the bucket it stays sumerged in fuel at all times.

People who say they never let their car run below 1/4 tank so the pump dosn't pick up crap off the bottom of the tank are also full of crap. Any crap that is in your tank will always settle to the bottom, and regardless of how much fuel is in the tank the fuel pickup ALWAYS draws fuel from the bottom of the tank.

Re'
HUH-- ....Never heard that before.....this is not what I have been told....I guess you have you have dropped your tank..???
Old 09-18-2007, 05:35 PM
TECH Enthusiast

My cousin ran her sunfire out of gas. We went and got her some gas poured it in and the car still wouldn't start. Replaced the pump and the car fired rite up. Since this happened to her i try to fill up at 1/4 of a tank. I've also heard that driving for a long period of time with little gas and then filling up while the pump is still hot will kill the pump because the cold gas hits the hot pump and kills it. I dont know about that though i never had any experience with it.
Old 09-18-2007, 06:49 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Have had mine since 12/98, DD unless the weather is bad, almost always go down till the light comes on and sometimes till it sits on the E - never a problem...... have never run out though

I think that if you(being aware of the cooling of these pumps by the fuel itself) do not leave the key in the on position when you suspect you have run out of gas - since the fuel pump is running trying to pressurize the system with gas that is supposed to be cooling it but is NOT THERE, may be able to get by with it
Old 09-19-2007, 12:04 AM
12 Second Club

My fiancee drove my TA with the check gauge light on for about 70 miles and it didnt stutter at all. I have regularly let it get the the gauge light letting me know to refuel and I have had no problems at all. ((knock on wood))
Old 09-19-2007, 12:24 AM
12 Second Club

i let it go way past the red line for E i'm talking to the point where the needle is burried and cant go any farther over. usually do that every time before i put gas in.. never had a problem 70k miles
Old 09-19-2007, 01:00 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Shackleford
Who's the blonde in your sig? Kat Von D is hot.
Her name is Courtney Day

Originally Posted by RE AND CHERYL
A lot of those myths come from people who just plain don't trust new ideas. Although most newer cars fuel pumps are submerged in buckets, fuel injected vehicles have been built for 20+ years with unsubmerged pumps.
Guess I learned something new then.

Originally Posted by xXSilencerXx
Not in my car. I take it to the E or close to it every time. When it is exactly on E I have 2 gallons left in my tank.
My point exactly. I have not tested it, and am not about to, but with how my gauge runs it appears that I would really be empty at the E.
Old 09-19-2007, 02:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by xXSilencerXx
Not in my car. I take it to the E or close to it every time. When it is exactly on E I have 2 gallons left in my tank.
That seems to be about right. I've never let mine touch the E or red line. I've come very close. Then when I pump to fill it up I can only manage to fit about 12.5-13 gallons. It should be a 15.5 gallon tank if I am not mistaken.
Old 09-19-2007, 10:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by EarlSS
I've also heard that driving for a long period of time with little gas and then filling up while the pump is still hot will kill the pump because the cold gas hits the hot pump and kills it. I dont know about that though i never had any experience with it.
it's probably for the better... imagine if the pump actually sent that cold fuel to the engine... probably crack that block.. which would lock up the drivetrain and next thing you know, your driveshaft rips right off and digs into the ground, pole vaulting your fbody into the hot sun... that is if the USSR doesn't intercept you and lock you up in one of their intergalactic space stations before you get there.
Old 09-20-2007, 01:48 AM
On The Tree

these are the same retards that will be in the "how do i cut a hole in my trunk to change the fuel pump" threads later down the line. why would any idiot want to run down their fuel so low on purpose? the pump starts making a horrific noise like a small animal dying. one time was enough for me.
Old 09-20-2007, 11:37 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Exactly, I don't see why it's an argument anyways. Why in the hell do you need to let it get that low? It doesn't save you gas money, so please don't bring up the "money issue." Take a precaution for the possible well being of your fuel pump
Old 09-20-2007, 05:34 PM
TECH Addict

I think all of those myths are exactly that myths. I have run mine under E several times. I work for a small company that delivers cars to the Adesa Auction in Indianapolis for two summers in a row. We get all the cars you can think of, some from dealers some from repo lots. But more often then not they are close to empty we put just enough gas in them to get them through the gate. You wouldnt believe how low cars can get on those gauges. I started out scared I was gunna run out of gas leavin every place, but they said just drive it. I only ran out once in two years 100 feet from the gate. Sometimes its low enough there is an obvious gap between the E line and the needle. Look up ur tank size and then next time u fill up see how many gallons you had left. You will be surprised!
Old 09-20-2007, 06:13 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

i've ran my needle to the redline and drove another 45 miles before i filled up acouple times, i'm not doing that anymore. also change your fuel filter, keep it clean. i recentally changed out mine i think i put well over 20K on it and when i dumped it out abunch of black **** came out!! before i changed it i noticed a loss in HP (i lost to a stock 06 mustang GT ) and a bigg loss in gas mileage. since the change i've gained my hp back plus some i think i was missing and got my great gas mileage back 400miles to a tank baby!!!!

btw i've been lookin for that mustang since i got all my power back
Old 09-20-2007, 06:57 PM
TECH Senior Member

I fill mine back up way after the check gauge light comes on.

One time I drove like another 25 miles after the stupid light cam on, and I get like 13-14 miles a gallon driving around here in the city.