General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

How much fuel should you keep in the tank to cool the fuel pump?

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2007, 05:22 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default How much fuel should you keep in the tank to cool the fuel pump?

My Dad is always screaming and hollering about this.

Last edited by Shackleford; 09-17-2007 at 06:57 PM.
Old 09-17-2007, 05:23 PM
TECH Enthusiast

never get below 1/4 tank for several reasons. Any fuel at all (enough to keep running) is enough to cool it though
Old 09-17-2007, 05:25 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by oneBADDz
never get below 1/4 tank for several reasons. Any fuel at all (enough to keep running) is enough to cool it though
What are the several reasons?
Old 09-17-2007, 05:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

It's all BS. The forth gen f-body draws fuel from the tank into a bucket that holds about a quart of fuel. From there it's pumped to the engine. Fuel returning from the engine is also dumped back into the bucket so it remains full at all times regardless of how much fuel is in the tank. Because the fuel pump is located in the bucket it stays sumerged in fuel at all times.

People who say they never let their car run below 1/4 tank so the pump dosn't pick up crap off the bottom of the tank are also full of crap. Any crap that is in your tank will always settle to the bottom, and regardless of how much fuel is in the tank the fuel pickup ALWAYS draws fuel from the bottom of the tank.

Re'
Old 09-17-2007, 05:35 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

One reason is because on top of the fuel gauges in these cars not being accurate to start with, they don't quite seem to all run the same. I have heard some stories of guys running out at 1/4 tank (on the gauge), yet others, including myself, have a couple gallons left at that point Though that is a little closer to empty than one should be in the first place with an in-tank fuel pump. Case in point: A bit past full = full, 1/2 = 1/4, 1/4 = GET YOUR *** TO A FUEL PUMP. Note that those are rough measurements.
Old 09-17-2007, 05:36 PM
12 Second Club

I never let my car go below 1/4 tank, thats just how I am though I feel like I'm gonna run out of gas if it goes lower. My gauge also moves back and forth a little once it passes 1/4. But my grandfather did ruin the fp in his s10 running around close to empty.
Old 09-17-2007, 05:37 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RE AND CHERYL
It's all BS. The forth gen f-body draws fuel from the tank into a bucket that holds about a quart of fuel. From there it's pumped to the engine. Fuel returning from the engine is also dumped back into the bucket so it remains full at all times regardless of how much fuel is in the tank. Because the fuel pump is located in the bucket it stays sumerged in fuel at all times.

People who say they never let their car run below 1/4 tank so the pump dosn't pick up crap off the bottom of the tank are also full of crap. Any crap that is in your tank will always settle to the bottom, and regardless of how much fuel is in the tank the fuel pickup ALWAYS draws fuel from the bottom of the tank.

Re'
Never heard this before. If it's true I wonder where the myths come from. However I still wouldn't drop below 1/4. That's only a couple gallons left in the tank. Lil too close IMO.
Old 09-17-2007, 05:47 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by nighthawk15
Never heard this before. If it's true I wonder where the myths come from. However I still wouldn't drop below 1/4. That's only a couple gallons left in the tank. Lil too close IMO.
Who's the blonde in your sig? Kat Von D is hot.
Old 09-17-2007, 05:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

A lot of those myths come from people who just plain don't trust new ideas. Although most newer cars fuel pumps are submerged in buckets, fuel injected vehicles have been built for 20+ years with unsubmerged pumps.

But my grandfather did ruin the fp in his s10 running around close to empty.
not to be an ***, but if your grandfathers truck had a full tank at the time the pump went would he have said the pump failed from too much fuel in the tank. The pump WILL fail sooner or later, how much fuel is in the thank when it does fail is a crap shoot.

The pump in my wifes mini van failed when the tank was full by picking up a small rock off the bottom of the tank. Nothing like dropping a 25 gallon tank full.

Re'
Old 09-17-2007, 05:52 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Nobody said that they ONLY fail when they are empty. Nobody said that if you run low/out of gas that your pump WILL fail. Whether you like it or not though, running out of fuel can and does contribute to pump failure in many cases
Old 09-17-2007, 05:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

Does anyone know how much fuel is left in the tank when the check gages light comes on. I have heard, let me emphasize heard, that you had 18 miles left. I have never really put faith in that. But I have driven about ten miles with that light on.
Old 09-17-2007, 06:52 PM
TECH Enthusiast

if you let it get below 3/4 of a tank, it will start a HUGE fire!
Old 09-17-2007, 06:57 PM
12 Second Club

Blah...I've ran mine almost down to the red empty line several times and haven't had a problem. I like to fill up around 1/4 tank though just so I don't risk running out.
Old 09-17-2007, 07:30 PM
Launching!

Just to chime in.. 2001 Camaro. At a little above E, when the CHECK GAGES light comes on.. I've refilled and basically it comes out to me still having 2-3 gallons left (can only get like 14 gallons in). I've gone a bit below E a few times, and never run out of gas. I drove to work this morning completely on E, with lots of traffic. About 17 or 18 miles away. For a complete refill, the needle goes past Full. I guess I've got one of those pesimistic gauges
Old 09-18-2007, 04:29 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by WhosNXT
Does anyone know how much fuel is left in the tank when the check gages light comes on. I have heard, let me emphasize heard, that you had 18 miles left. I have never really put faith in that. But I have driven about ten miles with that light on.
I let mine go down to the check gages light once, when I first got it. I filled it up with in 5 miles. I had 3.5 gallons left.

3.5 divided by 16.8 = .208, or about a fifth of a tank. I'd think you would still be ok.

But, I still don't let mine go down that far, mostly because I like it filled and ready cruise with out worrying about gassing up.
Old 09-18-2007, 08:10 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by oneBADDz
Nobody said that they ONLY fail when they are empty. Nobody said that if you run low/out of gas that your pump WILL fail. Whether you like it or not though, running out of fuel can and does contribute to pump failure in many cases
this is EXACTLY the point. it's retarded to debate how safe it is to drive near empty when gas stations are everywhere. i've ran out of gas once. and 3 miles before that, the pump was making some awful noises that i didn't hear too clearly because the radio was on.

ever do a search on what it takes to change the fuel pump in an Fbody? you have to cut a hole through the sheet metal inside your trunk. and this is the faster, easier method.
Old 09-18-2007, 08:23 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Well my gas guage doesn't work and hasn't since i've owned my car and i've ran my car completely out of gas i believe 4 times and i have had not one problem out of my pump ...

Personally i think that the dont let your car get low on gas or your pump will go out is just complete Bull ****... Thats just me though and my opinion...

All my car needs is fuel sending unit but i have just never bought one..
Old 09-18-2007, 10:32 AM
TECH Resident

One reason is because on top of the fuel gauges in these cars not being accurate to start with, they don't quite seem to all run the same. I have heard some stories of guys running out at 1/4 tank (on the gauge), yet others, including myself, have a couple gallons left at that point Though that is a little closer to empty than one should be in the first place with an in-tank fuel pump. Case in point: A bit past full = full, 1/2 = 1/4, 1/4 = GET YOUR *** TO A FUEL PUMP. Note that those are rough measurements.

Not in my car. I take it to the E or close to it every time. When it is exactly on E I have 2 gallons left in my tank.

Last edited by xXSilencerXx; 09-18-2007 at 10:40 AM.
Old 09-18-2007, 03:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

i fill it up at 1/4 tank. my old 95 z28 ran out above E, like 3 times. i never ran my 02 down because i dont want to run out.
Old 09-18-2007, 04:19 PM
11 Second Club

the only time my gauge even gets near completely full is if there is gas overflowing out of the tank when im trying to pump. I "try" to fill up at around an 1/8 so i can get the most accurate mileage reading