General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Why Am I Burning So Much Oil????

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2007, 07:53 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Why Am I Burning So Much Oil????

idk where the hell it goes it gets very annoying paying 9$ every 2 weeks for a quart of synthetic for it to be burnt and also seeing the low oil light on. i heard about the pcv mod but no one has ever told me what to do they just mention it and it doesnt even smoke either or leak from anywhere idk where the hell it goes ????
Old 09-21-2007, 11:09 AM
TECH Enthusiast

theres a writeup that im pretty sure will come up if you search for catch can or pcv mod. Also, in your sig about the sticking clutch pedal, im assuming? Change your clutch fluid. Ranger has a great site that tells you how to do it. That happened to me and followed his instructions and it hasnt stuck since. Your fluid is probably burnt which mine was. Look in your fluid resivior and if its black and not clear change it. hope this helps
Old 09-21-2007, 11:15 AM
Launching!

YEA IM DOIN THE CLUTCH THIS WEEKEND BRAND NEW SLAVE AND MASTER sry caps and ls7 clutch but ill check that out bc slave is leakin too
Old 09-21-2007, 11:29 AM
TECH Regular

Why not switch to 10w-40 dino oil and see if it uses less. Cheap and there are some very good dino's out there. I'm using Havoline deposit shield ($1.69 sale @ Advance Auto) 5qts. 10w-40 & 1qt. 10w-30 for a warm weather mix. The 10w-40 has reduced some small leaks and my consumption went down a bit.

BTW my usage is only 1 qt. every 2000 miles. A qt. every two week could mean a more serious problem or a PVC prob. Do you see blue smoke?
Old 09-21-2007, 12:28 PM
12 Second Club

What are you using that costs $9.00/qt., Red Line??

Another suggestion on less expensive oil; if you can catch the Pennzoil Platinum on sale/rebate at Pep Boyz (like it is now), it works out to $1.99/qt. for probably the best group 3 synthetic out there. Of course, IF a dino oil is going to slow your consumption (as suggested above), this will not help you. But at least it will cost a helluva lot less $$$!
BTW; I agree that the Havoline is one of the best "off the shelf" mineral based oils out there, but not quite up to the Shaeffers dino stuff (which is a lot more $$$, and almost impossible to get!).
Old 09-21-2007, 12:34 PM
TECH Apprentice

yeah I'm wondering what your exaust looks like. Uh this might sound kind of dumb but are you staying in the throttle ALOT? Even with that you shouldn't be burning that much oil, but the amount wil still surprise you. Humm whats your milage?
Old 09-21-2007, 03:27 PM
TECH Resident

i use mobil one 10/30 and burn about 1-1 1/2 qts between oil changes, ls1s are known to burn a little oil, but yours seems excessive.
Old 09-22-2007, 08:07 AM
TECH Enthusiast

What RPM do you cruise at. Once up to speed on level ground a nice aero-dynamic car uses less then 15hp (just a guess) to maintain speed. Higher internal pressures will cause blow-by of oil during cruise at higher RPM's.