General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Need Proof That LS1's are Extremely Responsive to Mods

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2007, 12:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

first off these cars put down about 300 to the wheels stock. a cam can add anywhere from 30rwhp on the smallest, and upwards from 80hp on the biggest, on stock heads. throw some ported heads on it and you're seeing mid 400's and running deep into the 11's with supporting mods.

alot of people have hit 11's in these cars without doing more than a cam, stall, and tires. we're talking what, $2000 in parts and a tune? if that's not responsive idk what is.
Old 10-15-2007, 11:24 AM
TECH Regular

Yea those numbers are pretty bad ***.
Old 10-15-2007, 01:13 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Sunset'01Z
first off these cars put down about 300 to the wheels stock. a cam can add anywhere from 30rwhp on the smallest, and upwards from 80hp on the biggest, on stock heads. throw some ported heads on it and you're seeing mid 400's and running deep into the 11's with supporting mods.

alot of people have hit 11's in these cars without doing more than a cam, stall, and tires. we're talking what, $2000 in parts and a tune? if that's not responsive idk what is.
Tru story!!!!!!!!!
Old 10-15-2007, 01:22 PM
Launching!

Atleast Mustangs don't have gay exhaust routing....haha

But yes, you're friend is a dumbass....i'm considering an LS1 swappf or my foxbody...thats what I think of the LS1..
Old 10-15-2007, 01:23 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Grifter
Trying to convince a Ford guy anything is hard enough. Then throw the words "Camaro" or "Firebird" in there and it's damn near impossible. It became even harder once the 03-04 Cobra's came out. Awesome cars with very little money/mods needed to be really fast. So now they just use that as an example of how much better Fords/Mustangs are.
Yea and they tend to forget that those cars COME with a supercharger! Nice cars no doubt...but they are nothing without the screws. I had a Lightning, so I dont dog it, but still...its sad that its their one card to play....bbb bbb bbbut the terminator cobras are bad...
Old 10-15-2007, 01:55 PM
Launching!

But the Cobra are bad....bad ***...and noone will change my mind...
Old 10-15-2007, 05:30 PM
Teching In

Throw a twin screw on an LS1 and then.......
Old 10-15-2007, 06:44 PM
Launching!

...and then start beaking **** on bottom half of the motor over 600hp on the street....if the rearend doesnt blow first

The cobras jsut dont break like that..something about forged everything...haha...

Yeah I know they cost mroe ..ETC ........

There do look nasty..and the IRS is AWESOME for a DD or ricer chaser..doesnt do too bad at the strip either..as lnog as you you dont expect negative 60 foot times..lol
Old 10-15-2007, 07:47 PM
11 Second Club

Mod Motor Tech...Espace...the link is right at the top of the page
Old 10-16-2007, 08:14 AM
TECH Regular

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I might have the answer youneed to give your friend. you see ford and chevy have their own horse power class's. you see the gm cars (camaros, firebird) claim 305 stock hp. running mid 13's with an average driver. ford however has a 500 hp shelby. . . . that runs high 13's. . . anybody seen the youtube video of the stock trans am beating a shelby??? ford horse power is actually half that of gm horse power.

- Scottie
Old 10-16-2007, 09:46 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by scottie dont
I might have the answer youneed to give your friend. you see ford and chevy have their own horse power class's. you see the gm cars (camaros, firebird) claim 305 stock hp. running mid 13's with an average driver. ford however has a 500 hp shelby. . . . that runs high 13's. . . anybody seen the youtube video of the stock trans am beating a shelby??? ford horse power is actually half that of gm horse power.

- Scottie
Old 10-16-2007, 10:01 AM
TECH Junkie

numbers in sig. I picked up 81rwhp with just a cam swap.

And the car beats modded cobras that have more power, and torque than me. If they put a solid rear in the car that could be a different story, and they are heavy cars as well, so it kind of offsets the little bit higher HP levels.
Old 10-16-2007, 10:18 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mod your car and prove it to him yourself
Old 10-16-2007, 10:24 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by speedshifterNC
Mod Motor Tech...Espace...the link is right at the top of the page
Haha..I looked and didnt see it..lol

I never said LS1s sucked.....and this is an LS1 site...

So I'm not sure if you were ragging on em or what.....its hard toi tell over the interweb......haha...
Old 10-16-2007, 10:48 AM
TECH Apprentice

funny how a 600 hp ls1 always walks away from 800hp cobras...
Old 10-16-2007, 11:27 AM
11 Second Club

The LS1 bottom end is pretty stout Id say. I mean it can take cam and nitrous no problem.. and a mild amount of boost stock.. itmay not be forfed like a cobra, but at least we have more displacement to play with..

and anothr negative thing we have is a weak rearend...

but thats about it, the cobras and lightnings ar ebadass... but thats about all thats is badass from Ford, and still both of those are superchareger dependent to be fast, as well as them weighing a lot more than a F body..

IMO I wouldnt waste my money on a ford. I mean maybe a lightning and cobra with a KB, but thats if I have money to throw around, just for a change from F bodys, but doesnt mean I wouldnt own a couple of F bodys before I bought one of those.
Old 10-21-2007, 02:23 AM
Launching!

They weigh more than an fbody....the cobra weighs maybe 100-200lbs more than a LOADED SS....I'm a skinny guy so I can usually make that up easy fromt he fatass I'm ususally racing in any other car(no offense to anyone..but...I'm jsut small so eveyone is fat..haha)

As for 600hp LS1s outrunning 800hp Cobras...yeah it happens..whent he fbody is ALOT lighter.....or the fbody is built(like aftermarket goodies) to luanch and the cobra isnt....

I mean my 400-450ish hp 4 banger stang beat up on a few 100shot ls1s....bad!( I have LS1tech member witnesses..btw)

So whats your point? Haha...

Didnt mean to start a war....

I just think there are two sides to every story...

Persobnally I'd take the cobra over the Fbody....I like dual exhaust that I dont have to dump...

And IRS is nice for a fun street car.

Also in my opinion...8 or 9:1 compression is better for boost...than the LS1n 10-ish:1..something about less chance of detonation on pump gas...

All that said....I do like F-bodies so dont get all uppity and call em a troll or nothing....

In fact for the right F-body...I am willing to trade my GSXR...

For the right GTO I'm willing to trade my GSXR and my Mustang...(not sure why the hell anyone would want it though...haha)
Old 10-21-2007, 03:36 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by EspaceF1Fan
They weigh more than an fbody....the cobra weighs maybe 100-200lbs more than a LOADED SS....I'm a skinny guy so I can usually make that up easy fromt he fatass I'm ususally racing in any other car(no offense to anyone..but...I'm jsut small so eveyone is fat..haha)

As for 600hp LS1s outrunning 800hp Cobras...yeah it happens..whent he fbody is ALOT lighter.....or the fbody is built(like aftermarket goodies) to luanch and the cobra isnt....

I mean my 400-450ish hp 4 banger stang beat up on a few 100shot ls1s....bad!( I have LS1tech member witnesses..btw)

So whats your point? Haha...

Didnt mean to start a war....

I just think there are two sides to every story...

Persobnally I'd take the cobra over the Fbody....I like dual exhaust that I dont have to dump...

And IRS is nice for a fun street car.

Also in my opinion...8 or 9:1 compression is better for boost...than the LS1n 10-ish:1..something about less chance of detonation on pump gas...

All that said....I do like F-bodies so dont get all uppity and call em a troll or nothing....

In fact for the right F-body...I am willing to trade my GSXR...

For the right GTO I'm willing to trade my GSXR and my Mustang...(not sure why the hell anyone would want it though...haha)
Please keep your opinions to yourself, this thread is about f-bodies not Cobras.
Old 10-21-2007, 05:20 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by capn smokey
Please keep your opinions to yourself, this thread is about f-bodies not Cobras.

Actually if you want to get all strict about topics.....

"Need Proof That LS1's are Extremely Responsive to Mods"

Last time I checked they came in trucks, suvs, GTOs..etc. Hell people put LS1s in Mustangs, vegas, chevelles, rx7s...and guess what....the LS1 still responds the same way to mods..wierd...

The op never once mentioned anything in the original topic that needed to be in an Fbody to apply...he just threw around HP numbers......

And all I said was that the Cobras were actually still cool cars..when they started to get trashed in here a bit..and that people could talk **** I still liked them....

Then people got butthurt. Kind of like you capn.....

Oh and before you call me a troll....

The day I have the money for a 500 rwhp(reliably...and no nitrous) LSX swap..guess whats probably going in my mustang...

Yup thats right...and LS1s are a large reason why I like Fbodies at all....ask all my friends who drive LS1s, that I choose to be around because they arent douchebags like the local Mustang crowd...

Ok Rant off...

Anyways OP like I said before..your friends is retarted...maybe youy should get new friends....haha...
Ls1s pickup power well blah blah blah.......

Lets continue this thread normally..
Old 10-21-2007, 12:03 PM
11 Second Club

Well for one thing it's not that uncommon for a stock bottom end heads/cam package LS1 to hit 500 rwhp NA which is insane.

Quick Reply: Need Proof That LS1's are Extremely Responsive to Mods