General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Why cant I sell my car?

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2007, 04:08 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 99blancoSS
Whats the point of this thread?

If you really want to sell it you lower the price until it's sold. It's as simple as that. A car is only worth what someone will pay. Sounds stupid but its a fact. You obviously wanted to much money. Same mistake a lot of people make. They think their car is the special one that will sell for more than its worth. Old story.

You were asking $17,500 for a car that books for $12,800 on a trade in.
Hi retail is $15,000 and your not a dealership. You didnt get a bite because most people wont make an offer where someone is asking $5000 to much to begin with. You needed to ask for 14,500 to be serious about selling. People aren't stupid but every once in a while you find a kid with to much money and no sense. You were hoping for that. Wont happen with a 98-02 z/28 when the SS and WS6 are sold as the top dog.
I agree with what you're saying 100%. But, there's always some1 out there looking for a low mileage Z28. It doesn't have to be a SS or WS6, I wanted a SS, but none were around with low mileage. So I got a low mileage Z28. A big factor also is location. If he's someplace where there isn't many nice looking camaros with low mileage and there's some1 nearby looking for that, he'll get a buyer. My camaro at the time for sale was 81 miles away. That was the closest one to me. And I was willing to pay $18,000 for a 17,000 some miles Z28. What you said about him finding a kid with too much money and no sense, well, I'm just the opposite of that. I'm 38 with not much money and I have common sense. Like what others have said, it depends on what someone is willing to pay. Some will and some won't.
Old 10-19-2007, 05:45 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Yep, there are those who will over spend to get what they want but they are few and far between.
Insurance looks at that car and say's 12,500 for value. $15000 is hi book and the car has to be pristine. You buy it for 18,000 and your already out $5,500 just by purchasing it. Not sure how sensible that is and being 38 doesnt make you smart. No offense.
Drive it for a year put a few miles on it and get one door ding and your out another $1000. It is about value unless you've got money to burn. If your taking the car to the grave with you then you dont care about re-sale value. Most people dont take cars to the grave with them.

Investment cars are a different animal and if thats what your looking for you find a dealer left over and not a car with 13000+ miles on it. Unless it's an exotic. Again different animal.

He wanted far to much money and thats why no hits. If he really wants to sell it for that much then spend money on selling it with a firm and let them advertise it nationwide. Sooner or later someone will be looking for it. It's all how quick you want to sell.

Last edited by 99blancoSS; 10-19-2007 at 05:51 PM.
Old 10-19-2007, 05:53 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I sold my 2002 LE vert ....a TRUE rare Camaro last year for $16K, that was when it booked for $21k. So if the price is low enough, it will sell.
Old 10-20-2007, 11:44 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by 99blancoSS
Yep, there are those who will over spend to get what they want but they are few and far between.
Insurance looks at that car and say's 12,500 for value. $15000 is hi book and the car has to be pristine. You buy it for 18,000 and your already out $5,500 just by purchasing it. Not sure how sensible that is and being 38 doesnt make you smart. No offense.
Drive it for a year put a few miles on it and get one door ding and your out another $1000. It is about value unless you've got money to burn. If your taking the car to the grave with you then you dont care about re-sale value. Most people dont take cars to the grave with them.

Investment cars are a different animal and if thats what your looking for you find a dealer left over and not a car with 13000+ miles on it. Unless it's an exotic. Again different animal.

He wanted far to much money and thats why no hits. If he really wants to sell it for that much then spend money on selling it with a firm and let them advertise it nationwide. Sooner or later someone will be looking for it. It's all how quick you want to sell.
I didn't say being 38 makes me smart, I said I was 38 with not much money and I have common sense. Opposed to what you said, a young kid with money to burn with no sense, lol. I don't mind that I bought it overpriced, what matters, I got what I wanted, that's all. I don't look at this car as an investment, I see it as my toy. I'm not worried about value, cause I don't plan on selling it.
Old 10-22-2007, 05:58 AM
Teching In

Just hold on to your car for about 30 years and when all the other LS1 f-bodies have 300K miles in the junkyard and rusted to hell and look like a hillbilly ran them into the ground then you could probably sell it for alot more. When I bought my car in '05 it had 17K on it. Everyone talks book value, book value, book value. These cars did hold their value, for awhile there. When I bought my car I paid 16 for it. Every other car around for 16, 17, or even 18 grand were 98-00's with 50-90K on them (trust me I searched everywhere) All the 01+ cars were still sittin at 25K! Granted they aren't worth a bent dick now they probably are still worth more than book, but most likely not by much.
Old 10-25-2007, 09:02 PM
On The Tree

that is a nice car and i dig the grilless look nice car worth 15500 at least
Old 10-25-2007, 09:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

These cars are just getting plain old. 99% of cars hold their value pretty well until they are 4 or 5 years old. After that, the resale price jumps off a cliff, regardless if the car was a weekend toy with super low miles and in new condition. Not being an SS also hurts you. I was looking for an SS until I realized I could get a Z28 for 3k cheaper.