General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Found Beautiful Trans Am, but it felt slow!

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2007, 11:37 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Found Beautiful Trans Am, but it felt slow!

Hey guys, I recently posted about a black trans am but it sold, and some dude payed way too much for it.

Coincidently, a 1999 black six speed trans am shows up in my area. Me and my buddy who graduated from UTI went to go check the car out and it seemed like a real nice car for the mileage. The car has 104k miles on it, but was very clean inside and out and hes only asking $8600. The guy who owned it bought it off a friend who bought it off the original owner. He said he's selling because he's got a bunch of projects. I ran a carfax and it came up completely clean. The car is slightly modded with the only mods being a MTI lid, Granatelli mass air flow sensor, spec stage three clutch, upgraded master and slave, a mecham hood, and short throw shifter. Anyways here we're my reactions:

The good:
-The exterior is very clean, honestly not a scratch. The interior is very clean also.
-The whole stereo system was upgraded, and was probably the best sounding car stereo I've ever heard.
-Car drove pretty nicely

The bad:
-The clutch seemed kind of chattery. It shifted nice when we were moving, but when going from a stop, it would chatter. Is that just the nature of the spec stage 3?
-The interior is pretty much perfect, but there are cracks in both door panels (drivers side is all the way and passengers is half way). I hear this is pretty common. Is there a way to fix this or do I pretty much have to buy new door panels?
-This is the biggest issue I noticed. The car didn't feel that fast! My buddy thought it felt pretty fast but when I test drove the 98 Trans am with only 13,000 less miles and almost the same mods (lid, catback, short shifter, and unknown brand aftermarket clutch that did not chatter whatsoever) and it felt way faster. Honestly this one I drove feel a whole lot faster than my 98 mustang GT (it was faster but didn't feel any where near as fast as the first one I drove). By buddy questioned the need for an aftermarket MAF sensor for a car not making that much power, and suggested that was the problem. The thing is, the car was not sluggish or hesitant at all, but it just didn't seem like it pulled that hard. I had just gotten back from driving hard on mountain roads in a porsche 944, so maybe I was just used to the speed. Is this likely an easy fix, or could it be a possibillity that this is a dud ls1? I hear the LS1 is a super strong engine and can last for twice that many miles, and the owner informed me of all the servicing that has been done. I would think that since the car is in such good shape that the engine is in good shape. The thing is, the price is so cheap I can actually afford to mod this car decently and maybe that will wake it up.
-The car does have 104k miles, the most I probably plan on doing is a cam. Am I gonna have to rebuild the motor if I decide on this car or will this engine be up to the job.

Here's some pictures of the car. The exhaust was very quiet and the muffler didn't have any lettering or anything to indicate that it was aftermarket. The car did have aftermarket tips though (mecham?). Sorry for the large amount of pics, but here it is:

You guys saved me a lot of money and dealings with a shady dealer last time, so let me know what you think of this one.
Old 10-22-2007, 12:00 AM
TECH Fanatic

well i noticed the fuse panel cover was missing, no big deal..

i'd buy it, it's a badass looking car and there cant be much wrong with it. a clutch can be replaced fairly cheap. and fwiw, my car just turned over 100k miles and it's running better now than when i first bought it with 52k. all it takes is a little tlc
Old 10-22-2007, 12:13 AM
TECH Fanatic

I have to 100% agree with your buddy on the MAF. If its changed out and never tuned, its probably not running that great. If you could I would see if he has the stock MAF and if he does swap that in there and go for a run. I am ANTI MAF swapping unless your making some numbers. I see the car has some miles on it. It may need a seafoam in the gas tank, new fuel pump, new fuel filter, new spark plugs and wires, throw a bottle of injector cleaner along with gettin rid of the MAF I think you got a great car. Lots of guys on here with strong LS1's in the high 100k's. Let us know what happens.

Clutch wise, That is normal, wouldnt worry about that.
Old 10-22-2007, 12:28 AM
Launching!

Thats good to hear! The guy has the fuse panel cover he is gonna put it back on before the sale. He says he will throw all the stock parts in on the deal (stock MAF, shifter, lid). Is the door panel an easy fix?
Old 10-22-2007, 12:31 AM
TECH Fanatic

you could try to take them off and epoxy them from the backside, but i'm afraid they would only get worse if you took them off..

the stock maf needs to go back on asap. get some cleaner from napa, it's a CRC product. badass stuff...
Old 10-22-2007, 04:51 AM
TECH Regular

buy it!!
Old 10-22-2007, 08:03 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not a bad deal for the money - That un-tuned aftermarket MAF would be the first thing to go. Don't worry about the cracked door panels. They add character to the car and should not be touched.
Old 10-22-2007, 08:28 AM
11 Second Club

door panels are normal. Most all i have seen crack, that is if the car has ever been driven..... Also, like the rest said, rid the MAF. My car has 105k on it as we speak, and you wont be disapointed. Mine gets driven hard, but I take care of her! It just ran a 12.9 at 110 here a few weeks ago, with headers, lid, tune and 4.10's. its also an M6. Buy it dude!
Old 10-22-2007, 08:50 AM
On The Tree

My hawk had 103 on it when I bought it. I had it dyno'd at 303rwhp, 328ft/lb torque on a 95 degree day. And that was on the original plugs and wires I found out. I have since replaced them, and noticed a difference. I would seriously doubt there is anything wrong with that motor. Good luck on the purchase.

-Gary
Old 10-22-2007, 09:02 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

i dont think you can go wrong! i bought my old 98 Z with 86k on it, and sold it with 137k, cammed stalled and exhaust running 12.0's. it seen it fair share of 7k rpm's and never missed a beat. and 98's were the worst year ls1.

car looks good! take that damn maf off! i still have the stock maf on my car, and you can see my mods in my sig.

Charlie
Old 10-22-2007, 09:03 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

ohhh and those 17" WS6 wheels looks sooooooo much better than the stock 16" trans am chrome wheels!!
Old 10-22-2007, 09:42 AM
11 Second Club

Those wheels and hood are ****
Old 10-22-2007, 12:53 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I'd get it if I had the money if I were you

The fuse cover missing looks familiar. Mine on my camaro had come detached (velcro adhesive wasn't holding to the plastic anymore) but superglue fixed that
Old 10-22-2007, 01:17 PM
TECH Apprentice

Sounds nice, I know from the little looking that I have done, people want way more $ for cars that look way worse. Also, I have gone to look at a few trans ams for sale personally and they all had those cracks on BOTH doors.
Old 10-22-2007, 03:40 PM
Launching!

That looks much better than the last one you show us. And the clutch should be fine as long as it feels good it does chatter a bit. But I agree with everyone else put the stock maf back on and see what it does take it to a good mechanic and have it checked and let us know what happens. I think it looks real good and with a little money and tlc it could be a great car.
Old 10-22-2007, 04:12 PM
TECH Enthusiast

agree with everybody else.... looks like a good deal and a clean car...
Old 10-22-2007, 04:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

if i was looking for a ls1 car id buy that

nice car
Old 10-22-2007, 05:30 PM
TECH Apprentice

dude first of all, take that maf off until your going to exceed the power on the stock. if you want you can port the stock maf...works great! second do a full tune up...spark plugs,wires,oil,air filter etc.... you'll feel the difference. BUY the car!!!!!!!!!!
nice clean ta, love that hood!
Old 10-22-2007, 07:17 PM
TECH Addict

Buy it before I'm tempted to
Looks like a good deal to me, my door panels are cracked and I have an 02, it's pretty common
Like the others have said put the stock MAF back on and see how it runs, and the chattering on the spec 3 is pretty normal
LS1s are pretty strong motors, even up in 100k mile range, they'll take a good bit of modding, and miles before needing a rebuild
Good luck with getting it
Old 10-22-2007, 08:58 PM
Launching!

My doors are also cracked there is a way to fix them I just haven't done it yet. All trans am's door leather cracks it was the design nothing you can do about it.