General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

One less SOM WS6 on the road, I might have totaled it

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2007, 12:05 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RPM WS6
I think $3k is a low estimate, if there is frame damage.

Depeding on how deep the scratches are underneath all that mud, the whole car may need to be repainted (if you want it to look good again). All that paint + body panel repair and frame repair will equal more than $3k, IMO.

Thats why they call it an ESTIMATE. It's not the total price of the repair. It's up to the body shop (you say he's good so you're cool there) to investigate and determine any other damage to car and go back to insurance co. to get the rest of the money for the actual cost of the repair. Looks like it ain't that bad body wise. All you're door spaces seemed to still be even all around..
Old 11-04-2007, 01:56 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by 99FormulaM6
make sure the shop uses GM parts for everything, not aftermarket crap. i would assume it would be more than 3k to fix all that though. i got rearended by a guy and the only damage was to the rear bumper and cracked a taillight, and it was more than 3k for everything
The insurance adjuster has the front bumper as aftermarket, but everything else is GM even "replacing" the T/A lettering lol. I should get an estimate from the body shop tomorrow or the day after. I'm going to ask him if he can fix some other things.
Old 11-04-2007, 02:01 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by RPM WS6
I think $3k is a low estimate, if there is frame damage.

Depeding on how deep the scratches are underneath all that mud, the whole car may need to be repainted (if you want it to look good again). All that paint + body panel repair and frame repair will equal more than $3k, IMO.
Just what you see in the pictures is what the $3k is for, no estimates for the possible frame work. The estimate from the insurance adjuster was left open.
Old 11-06-2007, 08:51 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

When my car was totaled I bought it back and got it fixed up and actually made some money at it, but if you think the frame is bent, u might be screwed, sorry man. Personally, I'd buy another one and paint it som
Old 11-06-2007, 09:16 AM
On The Tree

No way they would total that - looks like pretty minor damage. Judging by the pics, I don't think the frame rails were hurt at all.
Old 11-06-2007, 12:37 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Does the front bumper cover even need replaced? Looks like it is just dirty and scuffed up in the pic. Shoot the only real damage I see is popped wheels, the dent in the rear quarter/chipped paint, and something a bit off behind the front wheel. Aside from the dirt and popped tires, my car looks worse than that!
Old 11-06-2007, 03:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Eddiep
No way they would total that - looks like pretty minor damage. Judging by the pics, I don't think the frame rails were hurt at all.
I had a car totaled when I needed a new front fender, headlight, and a scratch down the side.
Old 11-06-2007, 04:15 PM
On The Tree

The damage alone means absolutely *nothing* without taking into account the value of the car. In this case, we have a clean WS6 that appears to have no substantial damage. If it were a '87 Civic with the same estimate, it would get totaled without a second look.

Originally Posted by allbaugh_04
I had a car totaled when I needed a new front fender, headlight, and a scratch down the side.
Old 11-06-2007, 04:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

I was just trying to make a point. Insurance companies have no problem in totaling a car. I bought the car from the insurance company and fixed it and made some money doing it. That was my point...
Old 11-06-2007, 05:19 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Eddiep
The damage alone means absolutely *nothing* without taking into account the value of the car. In this case, we have a clean WS6 that appears to have no substantial damage. If it were a '87 Civic with the same estimate, it would get totaled without a second look.
Hmm well maybe I shouldn't hope in some twisted way that somebody clips my front driver fender (to get the current damage repaired without me having to pay for it ) if they would total it like that.
Old 11-06-2007, 08:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

I took mine to body shop and he added up anything that had damage..it was a clean car so I didn't rip off the insurance company or anything, I'm just saying he could see it as part of the accident.
Old 11-07-2007, 11:55 PM
TECH Junkie

The car is getting fixed, about $5k worth of damage to the car, frame is 100% fine. Only downside is I have to wait about a month before it's done, and by the time I'll probably have to tow it home lol.
Old 11-07-2007, 11:58 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by SparkyJJO
Does the front bumper cover even need replaced? Looks like it is just dirty and scuffed up in the pic. Shoot the only real damage I see is popped wheels, the dent in the rear quarter/chipped paint, and something a bit off behind the front wheel. Aside from the dirt and popped tires, my car looks worse than that!
Yes the front bumper needs to be replaced and painted, it's cracked and gouged up along with any other place where there is mud. Both rims are being replaced as they are totally gouged up, one tire is slashed as well. The inner fender well liner is broken, good eyes
Old 11-08-2007, 02:17 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by _JB_
The car is getting fixed, about $5k worth of damage to the car, frame is 100% fine. Only downside is I have to wait about a month before it's done, and by the time I'll probably have to tow it home lol.
well at least it's getting fixed, and with any luck, it'll be just as good as it was before....and unless there's some other stuff that's really hidden, at least your new transmission purchase didn't go to waste.
Old 11-08-2007, 02:26 AM
TECH Addict

Glad to hear it's gonna get fixed. It would be very upsetting if the world lost another SOM F-bod.
Old 11-08-2007, 09:43 AM
TECH Addict

good news man, glad to hear your getting it back
Old 11-08-2007, 10:06 AM
TECH Junkie

just make routine trips to the body shop to check up on the work, and if you see something you dont like...make sure you say something.
Old 11-09-2007, 12:22 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 99FormulaM6
just make routine trips to the body shop to check up on the work, and if you see something you dont like...make sure you say something.

and call them pretty frequently (like once every day or two) to see if they have found anything new, or if anything has changed so you can be informed about it at all times. better to catch stuff beforehand than to have them need to go back and redo something because it wasn't done the way you wanted.
Old 11-09-2007, 06:48 AM
TECH Fanatic

The insurance adjuster has the front bumper as aftermarket, but everything else is GM even "replacing" the T/A lettering lol. I should get an estimate from the body shop tomorrow or the day after. I'm going to ask him if he can fix some other things.
Do not get a aftermarket front bumper. Go GM my aftermarket front bumper is a piece of **** and fit's like crap!
Old 11-09-2007, 06:49 AM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 02Z28LS1

and call them pretty frequently (like once every day or two) to see if they have found anything new, or if anything has changed so you can be informed about it at all times. better to catch stuff beforehand than to have them need to go back and redo something because it wasn't done the way you wanted.
...like spraying the car a whole different color, I'd want to be informed of such a decision

Quick Reply: One less SOM WS6 on the road, I might have totaled it