General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

<side Exit Exhaust>

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2007 | 09:05 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Skyfire
Are there any kits for side exit exhausts out? Or are they all custom?
I'm pretty sure sweet thunder sells a side exit setup, but I don't like the tips they provide. I'm thinking about running some TDs side exits, but I'm kinda on the fence at the moment. I love it on the viper, but it's made that way so I dunno. I have seen a few f-bodies that I like with them tho. Emphasis on few.
Old 11-10-2007 | 12:29 PM
11 Second Club

I think TAs look stupid with side exit or dumps, because the area for the tips in the rear is left empty. Camaros with dumps or side exits is the ticket.
Old 11-10-2007 | 12:58 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Having no cats and LT's I realize my exhaust smells like absolute ****...

This being said, I would never put side pipes on my car because i would just feel like an ******* every time I was next to somebody at a stoplight and they had to roll up their window or started coughing because they just got a ****-ton of carbon monoxide and shot into their car. I try to avoid being an ******* as much as I can.

Just my .02
Old 11-10-2007 | 06:58 PM

Personally, I love the way my Camaro's smell w/ LT's and no cats. It's the burning of my eyes when I first fire them up in the garage that is not always the best.
Old 11-10-2007 | 07:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

Side exit exhausts on an F-car would be cool. Just don't put side pipes on the car like the old vettes and AC Cobras had. that would just look completely out of place. I don't see how it will be any less offensive to have pipes out the back or side. either way someone will pull up close enough to get annoyed. I have mufflers clamped onto the collectors with turndowns that are angled outward. I make sure to equally offend everyone on both sides of my car.
Old 11-11-2007 | 09:03 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Texas 02 Z28
This looks pretty well done. I glanced over some of the "how boom tubes work" threads and from what I got, they have a megaphone effect. So I bet your car would be insanely loud. Not always a bad thing, though... I bet it'd sound sweet in the car.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/showpost....87&postcount=1
Damn that is sexy, I don't like the open cutouts out back, but I wouldn't have that problem. So anyone know where I can get some of those.
Old 11-12-2007 | 02:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Texas 02 Z28
This looks pretty well done. I glanced over some of the "how boom tubes work" threads and from what I got, they have a megaphone effect. So I bet your car would be insanely loud. Not always a bad thing, though... I bet it'd sound sweet in the car.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/showpost....87&postcount=1
antone know what tips those are?
Old 11-12-2007 | 04:42 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 180ls1
antone know what tips those are?
I'm wondering the same, I'd pick them up in a heartbeat.
Old 11-12-2007 | 04:48 PM
TECH Apprentice

they are Dr.Gas boom tubes... http://www.drgas.com/store/home.php?cat=21 i know they are not a supporting vendor... so sue me!
Old 11-13-2007 | 12:03 AM
TECH Addict

I think it looks good and probably sounds bad *** but those are wicked expensive for what they are.
Old 11-13-2007 | 12:16 AM
On The Tree

so are the actually a muffler or are those like bulet mufflers before the tips. but those are ferakin sweet though i would get rid of what i got in an instant for those things man!!!
Old 11-13-2007 | 01:18 AM
TECH Addict

^^^They are pretty much just tips
Old 11-13-2007 | 02:22 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by SSmoken
isnt this illegal in some states??
i don't know about other states, but in TX (someone correct me if i'm wrong), the law just states that the exhaust has to exit at an area that is not within the area of the passenger cabin. this means that dumps at the rear axle and open cutouts are illegal, but side exhaust and exhaust that exits at the rear bumper are legal.

personally, i'm not real fond of the look of the side exhaust on an f-body, i'd much rather it exit at the rear bumper....not to mention the fumes/heat/noise you'd get inside the car.....i like my exhaust to be quiet unless i'm WOT, and i'd rather not pass out from carbon monoxide poisoning......
Old 11-13-2007 | 10:46 AM
TECH Apprentice

you can get them dirt cheap on ebay, used from a cup team.... http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/NASCA...spagenameZWD1V

im getting one for my bu! im installing a watts-link and have NO room for tubes over the axle
Old 11-13-2007 | 10:57 AM
TECH Fanatic

it would look good integrated into side skirts.....you might be able to pull something off with vizage side skirts. Or custom fabricate something with mustang Roush side skirts and tips.http://images.hotrod.com/roadtests/1...haust_View.jpg

and also, a ta would look just as good if not better than a camaro if it has the CETA mod. Then you cant really tell exhaust tips are supposed to be there.
Old 11-13-2007 | 03:00 PM
On The Tree

Wow those are some pretty expensive exhaust tips.
Old 11-13-2007 | 05:11 PM
Launching!

Talking idea

so here's one...buy a tsp rumbler x..take it to your local exhaust shop and have them chop 4 to 6 inches before and after the X to make it shorter (the dumps go almost all the way to the axles if you don't). weld it back together in its shortened length. then chop off the downward facing dumps after the mufflers, and have your shop weld on some 60 degree tubing facing out. then choose whatever tips you would like to get to the side of the car. i think magnaflow 3 inch slash cut tips would probably look decent, and match up pretty well with the 3 inch openings at the backs of the mufflers. total investment, probably in the 500-600 range.
i have personally installed the rumbler x on a '98 camaro and it was pretty simple and this install should be about as easy. figure on a few bucks for custom exhaust hangars routed to the side as well as a couple bangs with a rubber mallet to clear your lower control arm mounts when you hit a bump.
Old 11-14-2007 | 07:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 96autoformula
so here's one...buy a tsp rumbler x..take it to your local exhaust shop and have them chop 4 to 6 inches before and after the X to make it shorter (the dumps go almost all the way to the axles if you don't). weld it back together in its shortened length. then chop off the downward facing dumps after the mufflers, and have your shop weld on some 60 degree tubing facing out. then choose whatever tips you would like to get to the side of the car. i think magnaflow 3 inch slash cut tips would probably look decent, and match up pretty well with the 3 inch openings at the backs of the mufflers. total investment, probably in the 500-600 range.
i have personally installed the rumbler x on a '98 camaro and it was pretty simple and this install should be about as easy. figure on a few bucks for custom exhaust hangars routed to the side as well as a couple bangs with a rubber mallet to clear your lower control arm mounts when you hit a bump.
thanks for the advice i will consider that.

Quick Reply: <side Exit Exhaust>