General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

<side Exit Exhaust>

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2007, 10:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default <side Exit Exhaust>

Anyone run or know of anyone who runs side exit exhaust on a camaro or firebird? Is there any problems with this setup? Any pictures that anyone has?
Old 11-05-2007, 10:59 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There are a few guys running them, but I think it takes alot to make it look good.
Old 11-06-2007, 08:01 AM
'Bird Director

Location: Central Indiana Honors: 4th grade spelling bee contestant
Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts

I can't imagine that looking good....these cars aren't 70's era Vettes.
Old 11-06-2007, 10:25 AM
On The Tree

the best i have seen are the guys who use the low-profile boom tubes like the nascar guys run, pricey tho at 150ish per tip
Old 11-06-2007, 10:27 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by lookin4aTA
There are a few guys running them, but I think it takes alot to make it look good.
^^^^ true... i have a buddy with a GTO with side exits... lets just say he is thinking about cutting them off himself....
Old 11-06-2007, 10:28 AM
11 Second Club

leave the side exits to the mustang kids
Old 11-06-2007, 01:32 PM
11 Second Club

isnt this illegal in some states??
Old 11-06-2007, 01:57 PM
TECH Apprentice

i actually have them. i am running true custom duals w/3' piping all the way around. It was a bigger increase in power than i expected it to be. you cant see my tips sticking out however cuz they end right before the edge of the car. sounds awsome too! ill try to put some pics up. how do you put pictures up anyways.
Old 11-06-2007, 02:04 PM
TECH Apprentice

This looks pretty well done. I glanced over some of the "how boom tubes work" threads and from what I got, they have a megaphone effect. So I bet your car would be insanely loud. Not always a bad thing, though... I bet it'd sound sweet in the car.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/showpost....87&postcount=1
Old 11-06-2007, 05:13 PM
TECH Apprentice

these are some pics of my exhaust that come off to the side.
they are custom done 3' from hooker headers, but aren't able to see them when looking at the side of car, they end right before the edge of the car. The ta sounds great and is loud as hell!
Attached Thumbnails &lt;side Exit Exhaust&gt;-side-exhaust.jpg   &lt;side Exit Exhaust&gt;-side-exhaust1.jpg   &lt;side Exit Exhaust&gt;-side-exhaust2.jpg  
Old 11-06-2007, 07:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by night ghost
these are some pics of my exhaust that come off to the side.
they are custom done 3' from hooker headers, but aren't able to see them when looking at the side of car, they end right before the edge of the car. The ta sounds great and is loud as hell!
thanks night ghost. Any clearance issues with that setup and what mufflers are you running?
by the way i am very jealous of your car.
Old 11-06-2007, 08:58 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by 180ls1
thanks night ghost. Any clearance issues with that setup and what mufflers are you running?
by the way i am very jealous of your car.
well thanks for the compliment! And about clearance my car is lowed 1 1/2 in and at most just scrapes up against things. I had no worse clearance problems than i had with my full exhaust so there you have it. Oh and mufflers... hahahaha lets just say my car is really really loud, no cats no mufflers= angry neighbors lol. It gave my car a sort of power that i have never felt with any other previous exhaust. If you ask anyone with true dual dumps, they will tell you the same.
Old 11-06-2007, 11:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

well thanks for the compliment! And about clearance my car is lowed 1 1/2 in and at most just scrapes up against things. I had no worse clearance problems than i had with my full exhaust so there you have it. Oh and mufflers... hahahaha lets just say my car is really really loud, no cats no mufflers= angry neighbors lol. It gave my car a sort of power that i have never felt with any other previous exhaust. If you ask anyone with true dual dumps, they will tell you the same.
wow no mufflers i dont know if i could do that. i think my neighbors and the city cops by my school would kill me.
Old 11-07-2007, 09:19 AM
TECH Apprentice

hahaha they probably would lol. whenever a cop comes next to me i just act like my car is messed up so he gives me some sympathy it works lol
Old 11-08-2007, 06:25 PM
TECH Regular

I know a guy that had a Viper with them and he said he was always getting the fumes and the heat from them inside the car. That's the reason he got rid of it, he couldn't take it anymore.
Old 11-09-2007, 10:57 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Spink
I know a guy that had a Viper with them and he said he was always getting the fumes and the heat from them inside the car. That's the reason he got rid of it, he couldn't take it anymore.
are you sure that it was side exist and not just a dump in the middle of the car? When i had dumps right in the center i too smell the fumes and is why i did my side exist exhaust. I wanted to keep the power gains but at the same time keep my noise level the same or even louder, and not smelll the fumes. I haven't had those problems so far with my set up and i have had it like that for about 4 months so far.
Old 11-09-2007, 11:19 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Just remember if it is your daily driver...standing water will be evil. I had nice side pipes on my firebird, no clearance issues. Puddles and highway water...i could hear it gurggle...not good.
Old 11-09-2007, 12:16 PM
TECH Addict

Its crazy, Someone here local had custom sidepipes on there T/A put on. It was different b/c he had a pipe attached to the side vents and then fake pipes running along the bottom of the car. Then the shop fabbed up the real exhaust under the car to exit right in front of the rear wheel. All the exterior piping is not functional so I really dont understand it but ive def. never seen anything like it
Old 11-09-2007, 12:30 PM
TECH Regular

are you sure that it was side exist and not just a dump in the middle of the car? When i had dumps right in the center i too smell the fumes and is why i did my side exist exhaust. I wanted to keep the power gains but at the same time keep my noise level the same or even louder, and not smelll the fumes. I haven't had those problems so far with my set up and i have had it like that for about 4 months so far.
His exited right in front of the rear wheels, just the stock Viper set-up. After he said that I did notice on the Viper you sit back pretty close to the rear wheels compared to a Camaro or Mustang so maybe that's why he had a problem. He said the dealer told him it was a common complaint and it was going to be fixed on the new models. This was a few years back that this happened so I'm guessing the new Vipers don't have that problem now but I'm not sure how they changed it.
Old 11-10-2007, 08:59 AM
On The Tree

Are there any kits for side exit exhausts out? Or are they all custom?

Quick Reply: <side Exit Exhaust>