General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.
View Poll Results: FRC or Z06
Get the Z06. Its rare and is a special car at a bargain price
77.38%
Get the FRC. It was only made for 2 years and is $4000 cheaper than the Z06
22.62%
Voters: 84. You may not vote on this poll

C5 FRC or C5 Z06? Poll inside

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2007, 06:40 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A lot of people say stick with the FRC if your going to mod because it wont matter in the end, but thats not true. The Z06 does have better upgrades aside from just the motor. It has better handling and better stopping power, along with plenty of other things.
Old 11-07-2007, 09:01 PM
TECH Addict

quite frankly it depends on what your plans are in the long run... if your gonna mod the zo6 isn't much worth the extra money now unless your heart truely desires the "Zoh6" name... but if that's not the case...

a m12 tranny can be picked up dirt cheap, H/C/I and full bolt on's and your still in the clear of $4k and this is if you work on your own car of course... suspension wise... all FRC's come with the Z-51 package which is pretty stout and nothing really less than the Z06 suspension and you can upgrade the Z-51 suspension and still probably be under $4k too

...oh and they do weigh the same
Old 11-07-2007, 11:49 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

For only $4k more, get the z06.
Old 11-09-2007, 10:34 AM
TECH Fanatic

While I agree that once modded all bets are off, stock vs. stock the Z06 is a much better car. Plus the Z is a newer model year and the C5 got incrementally better across the board through the years. I was even looking at C6s and the C5 Z06 just fit me much better. The hard part will be leaving it stock...
Old 11-09-2007, 10:43 AM
8 Second Club

Get the FRC, and put that 4,000 dollar difference into the motor. Fast 90/90, Heads, and Cam. Screw a z06, that doesn't mean anything to the modded world. Besides, the Ls6 intakes, aren't that great.... You're paying for that $1.33 bagde on the fender.
Old 11-09-2007, 10:52 AM
TECH Enthusiast

HAHAHAHA, 1.33 badge, you know how much that badge costs? Move that decimal point over two places. There is a LOT to a Z06 other than the LS6 intake. The LS6 in itself is a LOT different than an LS1, then you take into account different tranny gearing, etc and the FRC has nothing on a Z06. FRC vs regular corvette is an argument, FRC vs Z06 is a no brainer to people that know ANYTHING about the cars in question
Old 11-09-2007, 11:07 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 1BDTRAM
Get the FRC, and put that 4,000 dollar difference into the motor. Fast 90/90, Heads, and Cam. Screw a z06, that doesn't mean anything to the modded world. Besides, the Ls6 intakes, aren't that great.... You're paying for that $1.33 bagde on the fender.
Sure, the fender badges are the only difference. Keep thinking that...
Old 11-09-2007, 01:49 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Benjamin Russick
Sure, the fender badges are the only difference. Keep thinking that...
Wait... so I'm paying a S!#+load for badges.
Old 11-09-2007, 02:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by whatsgrip?
Yep. Chevy made a mint on those Z06 badges. They sure suckered me in...those jerks!
Old 11-09-2007, 02:23 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Haha yup, thats why I told my neighbor who was thinking of getting a C6 Z06 to forget the LS7 and get a regular LS2/LS3 C6 and slap some Z06 badges on and go Viper hunting!
Old 11-09-2007, 02:30 PM
TECH Addict

I say the z06,you see regular c5's all the time.
Old 11-09-2007, 02:38 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by 98Z28MASS
Haha yup, thats why I told my neighbor who was thinking of getting a C6 Z06 to forget the LS7 and get a regular LS2/LS3 C6 and slap some Z06 badges on and go Viper hunting!
hahaha... If he does get the Ls2 w/ the Z06 badges ask him if he wants to race a yellow C5 with Z06 badges. It'll be fun
Old 11-09-2007, 02:53 PM
12 Second Club

Z06 for sure. my dad had a Z06 an it was amazing. worth the extra money in the long run. that 4k extra you will have to put into the FRC to make it compete with the Z06 anyways.
Old 11-09-2007, 03:05 PM
Launching!

Handling-wise, the only differences are the rear spring and the wheels and tires. On the '99 FRCs, the sway bars are different too. The 2004 Z06s received better dampers, the rest of the Z06 years have normal C5 Z51 dampers.

The brakes are the same on both models, although the Z06 has different pads. The rear brake "ducts" on the Z06 do nothing except get in the way of adding larger tires.

Even if you mod the FRC, you might end up getting Z06 wheels, LS6 intake manifold, LS6 oil pump and Ti mufflers, though. These parts (costing around $1.3k) compare favorably with ones available aftermarket for more money. Also, the FRCs have weaker rod bolts from the factory.

IMO, the gearing on the Z06s is worse, with an odd spacing between 3rd and 4th. It has a shorter 5th gear that significantly limits top speed too, although most people probably don't care if their cars run out of gear at 180 or 200. I much prefer the long gears, especially 1st-3rd, on the standard C5 transmission, when driving a modified car that can easily overpower the rear tires. More Z06s seem to have syncro problems as well, as the syncros are made out of a different material.

When I got my FRC, there was around a $9k difference in price between it and Z06s. Since I planned to mod the car and really didn't want a M12 transmission, it was a no-brainer to get the FRC. Anyone who doesn't plan on modding much should probably just stick with the Z06.

My stock FRC with Ti mufflers weighted 3080 with a half tank of gas, so the cars are of similar weight. The FRCs typically have less options, but the Z06s have (I think) thinner windshield glass that shaves off a few pounds.

Last edited by Grant B; 11-09-2007 at 03:11 PM.
Old 11-09-2007, 03:44 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Grant B
Handling-wise, the only differences are the rear spring and the wheels and tires. On the '99 FRCs, the sway bars are different too. The 2004 Z06s received better dampers, the rest of the Z06 years have normal C5 Z51 dampers.

The brakes are the same on both models, although the Z06 has different pads. The rear brake "ducts" on the Z06 do nothing except get in the way of adding larger tires.

Even if you mod the FRC, you might end up getting Z06 wheels, LS6 intake manifold, LS6 oil pump and Ti mufflers, though. These parts (costing around $1.3k) compare favorably with ones available aftermarket for more money. Also, the FRCs have weaker rod bolts from the factory.

IMO, the gearing on the Z06s is worse, with an odd spacing between 3rd and 4th. It has a shorter 5th gear that significantly limits top speed too, although most people probably don't care if their cars run out of gear at 180 or 200. I much prefer the long gears, especially 1st-3rd, on the standard C5 transmission, when driving a modified car that can easily overpower the rear tires. More Z06s seem to have syncro problems as well, as the syncros are made out of a different material.

When I got my FRC, there was around a $9k difference in price between it and Z06s. Since I planned to mod the car and really didn't want a M12 transmission, it was a no-brainer to get the FRC. Anyone who doesn't plan on modding much should probably just stick with the Z06.

My stock FRC with Ti mufflers weighted 3080 with a half tank of gas, so the cars are of similar weight. The FRCs typically have less options, but the Z06s have (I think) thinner windshield glass that shaves off a few pounds.
good post!
Old 11-09-2007, 03:58 PM
On The Tree

There are quite a few differences to the Z06 that the drag race fans always forget to mention. I found this on another site:
Why start with a Z06? Sure, most of the items won't be used, but there are a few key items here that we want to retain. The parts we will be seeling are also worth more than on a non Z06 C5.

Improved Bay-to-Bay Breathing
The aluminum block casting on the LS6 deletes machined holes in the LS1 bulkhead and adds cast in "windows" which allow better bay-to-bay breathing. On the downstroke, the pistons push air back toward the crankcase, creating backpressure or resistance, and that translates into parasitic horsepower loss because it resists piston motion. With the overtravel windows air is allowed to move more freely between crankcase bays thus relieving the unwanted pressure.

New Pistons
LS6 pistons are cast from high-strength M142 aluminum alloy and reshaped with a slightly different profile than those in the LS1. In side view, the LS6 pistons have a slight barrel shape, almost imperceptible to the naked eye. The new alloy increases engine durability at racetrack operating levels, while the shape reduces internal mechanical noise.

Increased Compression
The LS6's aluminum cylinder heads are cast with smaller pent-roof combustion chambers than the LS1. Compression ratio increases from 10.1:1 to 10.5:1, improving thermal efficiency and increasing horsepower. Intake and exhaust ports in the LS6 head are refined and more-precisely cast, contributing to the engine's overall increase in volumetric efficiency.

New High-Profile Camshaft
The LS6-specific, steel-billet camshaft contributes more than any single piece of hardware to the LS6's horsepower gain. In simple terms, the cam opens the valves quicker and allows more air to flow into the combustion chambers. Cam lift increases from the LS1's 12.7 to 13.3 mm.

Stronger Valve Springs
To accommodate valve operation with the high lift/high duration cam, the LS6's valve springs are stiffer and sturdier. They are made from the same steel wire as those in the LS1 but are wound tighter for a higher spring rate.

New Injectors
Additional air flowing into the LS6 heads would serve no purpose without an equivalent increase in the amount of fuel to take advantage of it. New injectors increase maximum fuel delivery from the LS1's 3.3 grams/sec to 3.6 grams/sec - a 10 percent improvement.

New Integral PCV System
The LS6's application on the Corvette Z06 creates additional demands on the crankcase ventilation system. The Z06 is capable of cornering at more than 1 lateral "g" requiring a special high-performance ventilation system.

To prepare the Z06 for full-on driving, the LS6's PCV system is moved into the engine's V, or valley. The unique aluminum valley cover has composite oil separating baffles and PCV plumbing incorporated. All of this reduces oil consumption during high-performance driving - and as an added benefit also reduces the amount of external plumbing, eliminating potential oil leak sources.

Other Powertrain Enhancements
In addition to providing more power and better fuel economy, Corvette engineers also upgraded the operation and durability of the rest of the Corvette powertrain in many areas.

New Thin-Wall Cast Iron Exhaust Manifolds
Thin-wall cast iron exhaust manifolds replace the previous stainless steel manifolds to improve durability - especially on the LS6 engine given its potential for being involved in sustained high-speed driving.

Stronger Driveshaft
The driveshaft is upgraded from a metal-matrix composite to aluminum alloy 6061, and it is increased in diameter from 55 to 63 mm. Driveshaft couplings have also been upgraded on manual-equipped models for additional strength and durability.

Lighter Automatic Transmission Case
By optimizing the design of the automatic transmission case Corvette engineers were able to trim some material and reduce thickness in some areas to reduce mass by 3.3 pounds.

New Clutch
All Corvettes, when equipped with the 6-speed manual transmission (optional on coupes and convertibles, standard on Z06) feature a revised clutch with greater clamping power to accommodate increased torque. This new clutch design also provides for lower pedal effort, making manual-equipped Corvettes more satisfying to drive.

New Synchronizers
Carbon blocker rings have been installed on all manual transmission forward gears to provide for smoother shifts and additional robustness.

In the case of the Z06, a car that begs to be driven hard on the racetrack, most of the other components in the drivetrain were optimized for durability and improved performance.

New M12 6-Speed Manual
This transmission is unique to the Z06, is the only transmission available for that model and is not available on coupe or convertible. It has more aggressive gearing to increase torque multiplication in most forward gears, allowing for more rapid acceleration and more usable torque at higher speeds.

Other M12 Modifications
A transmission temperature sensor was added to protect the M12 from higher thermal stresses. The sensor warns the driver via the Driver Information Center with a "trans over temp" light if thermal loads become excessive - meaning that the transmission could be damaged if not allowed to cool down.
Old 11-09-2007, 05:04 PM
TECH Addict

Thumbs up

Some very good info. in this post! Well I did go with the FRC. The check is in the mail. The car is clean as hell without a scratch on it. The FRC does has a Corsa catback and Chrome 18" Z06 wheels and alpine CD. I did find one Z06 locally but it was at a dealership and was overpriced
Old 11-09-2007, 05:24 PM
TECH Resident

Thumbs up

well don't say we warn you...
just messing with you man congrats. Now start modding, and post some pics.
Old 11-09-2007, 05:35 PM
TECH Addict

well don't say we warn you...
just messing with you man congrats. Now start modding, and post some pics.
HEHE Thanks man. I wish i could of found a Z06 at a good price. THe one i wanted was in Texas and was seemed awesome. The ones in NJ and PA were just average deals. Here is my new baby. She will be delivered to me in the middle of next
week

Old 11-11-2007, 01:18 AM
12 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

now just get some longtubes-$800,used ls6 intake-$300,and a cam package from a sponsor-$800,4.10 gears-$250total cost=$2,150/

you should make anywhere from 390-430rwhp depending on cam and you can say z0what

Quick Reply: C5 FRC or C5 Z06? Poll inside