General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

need to figure out a way to run LT,s in CA

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2007 | 01:35 PM
Banned

Default need to figure out a way to run LT,s in CA

hey guys i am going to buy pacesetter LT,s and there y pipe this week or next week and i need to figure out a way to keep my sound to a good level as in not so loud that the next cop passes by will pull me over! i was thinging about running cats on my y pipe but i do not want to tamper with my factory y pipes cats just incase i need it if something happens. but i wanted to know if u guys think this is the best way to go, or maybe if there was some other type of way to decrease sound and not rob performance, i currently have a flowmaster and i think the sound is perfect, if i can keep it at that or a little louder that can be great thanks guys
Old 11-18-2007 | 02:24 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Ummm...Just put the stockers back on when you go for emissions...
Old 11-18-2007 | 02:27 PM
TECH Enthusiast

You can buy aftermarket catted y- pipes, but they are still considered illegal here. But if you get some one who is lenient with the visual, you will pass the sniffer with them.

Also, I have a practically brand new pacesetter non-catted Y you can buy for 50$ if you want
Old 11-18-2007 | 02:59 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by The Black Mamba
Ummm...Just put the stockers back on when you go for emissions...

i know once i put one the headers i really wouldent want to deal with the hassal of removing them again but my main concern is noise i dont want it to loud because loud exhaust= cops and cops= tickets and tickets= pain and misory but yea putting the factory stuff back on is my last option, thats why im leaving all that alone thanks tho
Old 11-18-2007 | 03:04 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by LivingCanvas
You can buy aftermarket catted y- pipes, but they are still considered illegal here. But if you get some one who is lenient with the visual, you will pass the sniffer with them.

Also, I have a practically brand new pacesetter non-catted Y you can buy for 50$ if you want
well yea i know a friend of mines that wont check visual and he will pass me through the sniffer 4 sure but im just reallly concerned about noise, i just cant be loud, but will catted y pipes bolt up to the pacesetters? and thanks alot for the offer on the y pipe, the headers im gonna get already come with it, but just incase ill keep u posted if i need them, yea u do have it for dirt cheap, hope they sell thanks
Old 11-18-2007 | 03:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

If your concerned about the noise, get a catted y and a magnaflow cat back. I have no cats but a magnafow cat back. Its quiet unless I get on it.
Old 11-18-2007 | 03:16 PM
11 Second Club

How come harleys can get away with sounding loud as hell and your average f-body owner with a non-stock exhaust has to worry about cops all the time.

Seems backwards to me.

I realize that some areas have decibel levels that you are not allowed to operate above, but still...wtf
Old 11-18-2007 | 03:20 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by motoo344
If your concerned about the noise, get a catted y and a magnaflow cat back. I have no cats but a magnafow cat back. Its quiet unless I get on it.

wow thats goood, well i currently have a flowmaster, i really love the sound alot, but i heard a ls1 running no cats through the flowmaster and it sounded lik a V6, i actually never really liked the sound of the magna flow but im sure it sounds meaner with no cats thanks
Old 11-18-2007 | 03:33 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Gaunt
How come harleys can get away with sounding loud as hell and your average f-body owner with a non-stock exhaust has to worry about cops all the time.

Seems backwards to me.

I realize that some areas have decibel levels that you are not allowed to operate above, but still...wtf
exactly, ****** annoying *** loud harleys, cuz of freakin california laws and bullshit we have to go through so much ****, i wish i can jus bolt on my headers and call it a day..
Old 11-18-2007 | 07:54 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Check out the sponsor on here called Texas Speed & Performance. They sell a catted Y that will fit the pacesetter headers and bolt up to your cat back. (806)866-0734 is their number.

I just said **** it on my car. I have a lopey cam, pacesetter LT's, and the texas speed true duals. Loud as hell but knock on wood for cops
Old 11-18-2007 | 10:56 PM
Banned

humm was also thinking of some dummy cats or is it ok to use cats of another make and model car as long as its a V8 engine?? or big enough inlet
Old 11-18-2007 | 11:03 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Thank god I live in a state with not emission testing. I know for a fact mine would never pass. The only way I see you getting away with it, is have an inside contact where they do the testing.
Old 11-19-2007 | 12:26 AM
TECH Addict

just get a catted y-pipe and your choice of one of the quieter cat-backs, then get electric cutouts installed right after the headers, but right before the cats.

close the cutout during normal driving to sound nice & quiet (and to pass the sniffer), then open 'em up when you're ready to rock n roll.
Old 11-19-2007 | 12:34 AM
Banned

dammm this exhaust system is going to end up bein pretty damm pricy! well **** it im jus gonna get a catted y pipe or just fix the pacesetter y pipe with some ls1 cats or cats off another car! dammm emission state crap
Old 11-21-2007 | 12:08 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I wouldn't bother sticking the stock cats in your pacesetter Y because it will choke it out too much. Either get the TSP catted y or get the magnaflow high flow cats to put in there.
Old 11-21-2007 | 12:34 AM
TECH Fanatic

find a shady mechanic and live large!
Old 11-21-2007 | 03:45 AM
Banned

well humm **** im gonna hav to look into catted y's but it wont be cheap! oo wat if i run an extra muffler b4 my flowmaster??? to keep it quiet
Old 11-21-2007 | 05:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by ae13291
well humm **** im gonna hav to look into catted y's but it wont be cheap! oo wat if i run an extra muffler b4 my flowmaster??? to keep it quiet
The only muffler you would be able to run before your flowmaster would be a bullet style muffler. It would have to be in the I pipe, I wouldnt go this route because a bullet wouldnt quiet things down very much because its just straight through. I would either buy the TSP catted y or buy a non catted y and have the magna flow cats installed on it. My choice would be the magna flow cats, they are much better than the ones on the TSP cat.
Old 11-21-2007 | 06:16 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ae13291
wow thats goood, well i currently have a flowmaster, i really love the sound alot, but i heard a ls1 running no cats through the flowmaster and it sounded lik a V6, i actually never really liked the sound of the magna flow but im sure it sounds meaner with no cats thanks
hahahahahahaha listen to my LT/ORY/Flowmaster catback car and tell me it sounds like a V6... thats a big lie. Its one of the ballsiest sounding exhausts out there, it just flows bad.
Old 11-21-2007 | 06:38 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by SchultzLT1
hahahahahahaha listen to my LT/ORY/Flowmaster catback car and tell me it sounds like a V6... thats a big lie. Its one of the ballsiest sounding exhausts out there, it just flows bad.
the one i must hav heard then was a 80 series and it had no headers jus factory with no cats and the muffler, but im sure the headers will mak any combo sound mean