General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

fbody rear seat delete

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2007 | 06:38 PM
11 Second Club

exactly my point!
Old 11-21-2007 | 07:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

I'd love to see a delete kit made for a vert.
Old 11-21-2007 | 07:19 PM
TECH Apprentice

i wish they would make a kit that turns the F-Body into a two seater..completely deletes the back seat and puts a backing behind you...kind like the corvette
Old 11-22-2007 | 03:35 AM
TECH Fanatic

I took mine out years ago. Saves like 30lbs and actually makes the car MORE useful. Even with the 10lb nitrous bottle behind the passenger seat, I have put all kinds of stuff back there...
Old 11-22-2007 | 07:46 AM
TECH Addict

Old 11-22-2007 | 07:51 AM
TECH Addict

looks pretty good in the pic in the other thread. i took out the buckets but i couldn't figure out how the hell to get the other set out lol.didn't do to much exploring though
Old 11-22-2007 | 10:43 AM
TECH Resident

I want to leave just one seat back there behind the passenger, but until I go see my upholsetry guy, nothings changing back there
Old 11-22-2007 | 01:30 PM
On The Tree

http://www.fullthrottlespeed.com/ite...te~eq~~Tp~.htm

$89 plus shipping
Looks pretty good.
Old 11-22-2007 | 02:27 PM
20 Year Member

By any chance that one of you dudes knows what these covers are made out of?

I am seriously leaning this way, as I've had no rear seats in my 99' since it was new. They were nothing more than mock up foam inserts any way.

Thanks
Old 11-22-2007 | 02:52 PM
TECH Addict

I took the rear seats out of my Z28. Not to save weight (the entire rear seat assembly is like ~10lbs) but rather because I converted to leather front seats, and could not find anyone selling just the rears

You guys should MAKE your own. Don't pay someone $100 for something you sort of like. You can make it with a simple jigsaw, a hammer, some nails, a razor, plywood and carpet.

I went to Lowe's and bought a big sheet of that blue insulation foam. With my rear seats removed, I sat in the car with the foam and razored it away until it meshed up nicely with the sail panels. That's the easiest way to make a template, IMO. Then I made the bottom piece (that straddles the driveshaft hump). It butts up to the top piece at a 90 degree angle.

I used half inch thick plywood. It weighed 5lbs-10lbs and was very easy to move in and out. I could also throw heavy stuff on it without worrying. I found some automotive carpet that 'sort of' matched, and got some of that dye spray from auto zone and painted it to match my interior.

It took about $30 and an afternoon to do. I liked it. Also the nice thing about doing it yourself is that you could customize it any way you want (for speakers, a bottle bracket, etc).

Old 11-22-2007 | 02:56 PM
20 Year Member

Cool

Originally Posted by keliente
I took the rear seats out of my Z28. Not to save weight (the entire rear seat assembly is like ~10lbs) but rather because I converted to leather front seats, and could not find anyone selling just the rears
I like the way yours is a complete rear shelf instead of just inserts.
Old 11-24-2007 | 07:48 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by keliente

You guys should MAKE your own. Don't pay someone $100 for something you sort of like. You can make it with a simple jigsaw, a hammer, some nails, a razor, plywood and carpet.

I went to Lowe's and bought a big sheet of that blue insulation foam. With my rear seats removed, I sat in the car with the foam and razored it away until it meshed up nicely with the sail panels. That's the easiest way to make a template, IMO. Then I made the bottom piece (that straddles the driveshaft hump). It butts up to the top piece at a 90 degree angle.

I used half inch thick plywood. It weighed 5lbs-10lbs and was very easy to move in and out. I could also throw heavy stuff on it without worrying. I found some automotive carpet that 'sort of' matched, and got some of that dye spray from auto zone and painted it to match my interior.

It took about $30 and an afternoon to do. I liked it. Also the nice thing about doing it yourself is that you could customize it any way you want (for speakers, a bottle bracket, etc).

Looks good man... I like the full cover of the set up, instead of the crap 89 dollar per insert that doesnt even look right.

Nice job setting that up.
Old 11-24-2007 | 12:09 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by quickblade
Looks good man...
Old 11-25-2007 | 01:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

I did this back in the day. I would dig out some pictures but my old computer is in storeage.

I basically built two boxes (one for the passenger side and one for the driver side) out of 1/8" wood, then wrapped it in carpet. I tought it looked pretty nice. Have to say it does not really save much weight though.
Old 11-26-2007 | 09:03 AM
TECH Fanatic

Weight savings are next to nothing. Unless you're looking for another .003 off your time, don't bother. If you just want to use it as an excuse, it's perfect for those you want to keep out and don't know better.

Anything you put back to make it look better will weigh as much as what you took out.
Old 12-03-2007 | 04:50 PM
On The Tree

I'm taking my seats out and putting in an eight point roll bar over the winter. So after thats in I will make something that cleanly wraps around the bars. But just high enough to make it flat because in a couple years i want to put some nitrous bottles on either side! I'm thinking two 15 pounders!!! Thats a ways off

Quick Reply: fbody rear seat delete