General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Upcoming salvage inspection: where are the other VIN numbers?

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2007 | 07:34 PM
Launching!

Default Upcoming salvage inspection: where are the other VIN numbers?

Hey guys, my ride is finally going to get the Ohio Salvage Inspection finally, it has been down since since february, the past few months the car has been sitting ready to go but I was having hell on earth with 2 receipts and the seller of the parts being idiots. But all is well and it's going in this tuesday to be inspected and hopefully retitled and plated. Can't wait.

But can others share their experiences with me on what all is done and what to expect? I know their main concern is stolen parts and that's why they are so picky over receipts, and I should be good on that now. I also think they will pick over a broken headlight or any other major problem with the car, but I should be good on that too! I was told they do look to verify other VIN locations on the car and make sure they match the title. To my knowledge there is one in the door jamb, engine block and the obvious dash plaque, are there any others?

My main worry is the exhaust system in my sig, these plces have lifts and I doubt there is any reason for them to look under the car, I just would rather them not see the exhaust as i'm worried I might get **** for having an off-road system installed. I doubt they will look under or lift the car but where is the vin on the engine? Are there any other locations under the car they would look for where they would see the system?
Old 11-28-2007 | 08:16 PM
'Bird Director
20 Year Member

From: Central Indiana Honors: 4th grade spelling bee contestant

The hatch (near the latch "loop")
Old 11-28-2007 | 08:16 PM
Banned

Theres a vin stamp on the engine right under the drivers floorboard, so if they want to see it they're going to see the exhaust. Theres also one on the transmission drivers side.
Old 11-28-2007 | 09:43 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 8a8mfh
Theres a vin stamp on the engine right under the drivers floorboard, so if they want to see it they're going to see the exhaust. Theres also one on the transmission drivers side.

Man I hope they dont need to look for them or lift the car lol, maybe they won't care or anything, but I have put too much time effort and money into this to get it back on the road just to have them say I can't have that exhaust on it lmao.
Old 11-28-2007 | 10:11 PM
Teching In

Ive gone through about 10 ohio inspections in seville, they know me as the trans am guy there. its alot differnt then what you think it will be like
First of all it isnt a saftey inspection, you dont even need airbags to pass.
also they are looking out for you and not going to let you drive a peice of junk too, so dont zip ty the car together,..all u need is reciepts with the vins from the cars you bought the parts from or if you bought them new, just a valid reciept. If they find something that you replaced, without telling them, without giving them a receipt. You loose. If they find your motors out of a stolen car, or any major part..you should keep a cell phone with you because you are going to need a ride home. You must remember that your going to a state patrol station, dont try anything..As for a lift, the first thing you do is pull your car onto a lift. they inspect alot of thing, theres serial numbers on every panel/part on that car, they will look under inner fenders, inside bumpers, inside door panels, whatever they need to do. Ive passed all my trans ams with headers and off road y pipes, never a dump dual exhaust though. to be honest u might be worth your while putting a catback on there for the inspection, seeing as if you fail, good luck scheduling another anytime soon and they are hard on you the next time around..Oh and i see you have tint on your windows, have fun peeling it off! if you dont do it now, theyll have fun watching you do it..make sure theres no chips in your windsheild too by the way..

Well thought that would help coming from another guy whos done alot of Ohio inspections..everywhere is different so people may tell you other things but thats what yours will be like
Old 11-28-2007 | 10:54 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by gimpala63n70
Ive gone through about 10 ohio inspections in seville, they know me as the trans am guy there. its alot differnt then what you think it will be like
First of all it isnt a saftey inspection, you dont even need airbags to pass.
also they are looking out for you and not going to let you drive a peice of junk too, so dont zip ty the car together,..all u need is reciepts with the vins from the cars you bought the parts from or if you bought them new, just a valid reciept. If they find something that you replaced, without telling them, without giving them a receipt. You loose. If they find your motors out of a stolen car, or any major part..you should keep a cell phone with you because you are going to need a ride home. You must remember that your going to a state patrol station, dont try anything..As for a lift, the first thing you do is pull your car onto a lift. they inspect alot of thing, theres serial numbers on every panel/part on that car, they will look under inner fenders, inside bumpers, inside door panels, whatever they need to do. Ive passed all my trans ams with headers and off road y pipes, never a dump dual exhaust though. to be honest u might be worth your while putting a catback on there for the inspection, seeing as if you fail, good luck scheduling another anytime soon and they are hard on you the next time around..Oh and i see you have tint on your windows, have fun peeling it off! if you dont do it now, theyll have fun watching you do it..make sure theres no chips in your windsheild too by the way..

Well thought that would help coming from another guy whos done alot of Ohio inspections..everywhere is different so people may tell you other things but thats what yours will be like

Jeez man now i'm freaked out, the tint is the next shade darker past legal lol man this is crazy. I don't even have a catback or any money for one plus all the work to install one damn, god I hope they are cool with the car, it's not like real crazy or anything. Are they actually going to check the windows for tint? What if I roll the windows down when i pull in hahahha. So they actually lift all cars to look for vin's underneath, jeez and take out iner fenders to look at parts?

Well the fenders and bumper cover are brand new, they won't have a vin on them as they were never installed on a car right?
Old 11-29-2007 | 06:28 AM
Teching In

Calm down, Your fenders and bumper cover are new thats fine but you have to have the reciept from the place you bought it from! The point of the inspection is to inspect the car, so they will do it thouroughly seeing as if it was just some half *** thing why would they make u do it in the first place right? they check things like under your rear bumper your rear end, they dont take ur car apart though by any means. Do you have echeck where you live? if not then having a full exhaust might not be needed. Yours doesnt go all the way to the bumper right? I just had a t/a with that setup and it shook my house when i started it, when you pull around from inspection your pulling it onto a lift, into a building, a patrol guides you up. Its either hes gonna think its a sweetass car thats loud and sounds good or be pissed. dont sweat the exhaust, youll be ok
As for the tint,my 00 t/a i had inspected in the summer, the windows were down..you might just get away with that but ive had other cars with serial numbers on the windows you could barley see that were checked..I got to be on the good side there seeing as i never caused them trouble and always brand like sick cars. im takin in my 03 z06 next and i should be ok, besides the tint which i have limo..sucks.
im not trying to scare you, im just looking out, if your not going to seville which is the easiest one, some of the other places just are crabby patrolman who get to have fun picking on the badass car because they can so all u gota do is be very nice to them and organized and honest
Old 11-29-2007 | 06:32 AM
TECH Senior Member

I didn't think the vin would be on a bumper cover or fender to begin with, but I guess I could be wrong. If the parts are brand new though then there shouldn't be a number, and even if there is one if you have the receipts then there should be no problem. I plan on getting a junkyard bumper cover and fender for my car when I have the money, be cheaper than brand new parts so I guess I had better keep receipts in case I ever need to get my car inspected like yours.

BTW, where in ohio do you live? I'd like to see your car sometime
Old 11-29-2007 | 11:53 AM
TECH Addict

^^^ YEAH they have stickers with the VIN's from the factory. After that you won't have them if you replace with new. Here in MN they just make sure the parts that you replaced weren't stolen. They dont check anything else. ~Cole~
Old 11-29-2007 | 06:18 PM
Launching!

Well i'm thinking I will be ok, I just wanna be prepared and hopefully not have any trouble. I have used and new parts on the car, all have proper receipts and the papers for used parts do have vin's. It took me all this time to get 2 of the receipts due to screwy sellers, but it's done. So my paperwork should be fine, there's nothing there they would have a problem with.

I guess otherwise it's just the exhaust and tint i'm worrying about, there isn't really anything I can do with the exhaust system but luckily once the car is warmed up it's actually not tooo terrible, first time I took it there they didn't mention anything when I pulled it in and no we do not have echeck anymore. I doubt they wil need to check the windows so I could pull it in with them down or down enough they won't likely notice the tint, or I could peel the door windows and just not worry about it lol. I would hate to do that as I would probably spend 70 bucks to go have it re-done, but as long as the rear isn't touched it's not that terrible to not have to worry at all about tint.

Any input on the tint?
Old 11-30-2007 | 06:22 AM
Teching In

roll they windows down, if they some reason see the tint...like i said they will make u take it off, at that point you take it off and well now you know. if not, enjoy your plates and go rape your car!
Old 12-02-2007 | 11:24 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by SparkyJJO
I didn't think the vin would be on a bumper cover or fender to begin with, but I guess I could be wrong. If the parts are brand new though then there shouldn't be a number, and even if there is one if you have the receipts then there should be no problem. I plan on getting a junkyard bumper cover and fender for my car when I have the money, be cheaper than brand new parts so I guess I had better keep receipts in case I ever need to get my car inspected like yours.

Oh hey, i'm near Dayton. Wish me luch guys, Tuesday at 12:30 I roll in and hope this all goes well! I'm gonna be nice and professional and hopefully things go well. Will try and have the windows down or mostly down and I will post how things go, just hoping the exhaust doesnt cause trouble.
Old 12-02-2007 | 11:54 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by ColeTrains'96Z28
^^^ YEAH they have stickers with the VIN's from the factory. After that you won't have them if you replace with new. Here in MN they just make sure the parts that you replaced weren't stolen. They dont check anything else. ~Cole~
Originally Posted by SparkyJJO

Yes stuff like the bumber cover, brackets, latches, ect will have VINS printed on paper stickers.
Old 12-04-2007 | 06:28 PM
Launching!

Well tis a wonderful day! The TA passed inspection, with window tint, no emissions and dumped exhaust plus some weird dim/bright headlight problem. LOL

It's now plated and registered sitting in the driveway happy to still be alive after a bad start to 2007.

Now it's been around 9 months since I drove my LS1 and I must say damn I forgot how fast this thing is, kinda makes me wonder if I really need to put in my cam and other parts.....yes
Old 12-04-2007 | 06:51 PM
11 Second Club

Congrats, bet that's a nice feeling. And if the car has been down for 9 months, then whats another weekend down for a cam swap? Throw that thing in there already!
Old 12-05-2007 | 04:43 PM
Teching In

thats great man, i hope i can pass in my z06 here in the upcoming months..

Quick Reply: Upcoming salvage inspection: where are the other VIN numbers?