General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Z28 vs SS main differences?

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2007, 05:29 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

^^^^^^^^ jealous??????
Old 11-29-2007, 05:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

Old 11-29-2007, 05:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast

i wouldnt buy it. they are sexy cars, no doubt... but i prefer the sleek look or cowl hood on lt1. matter of opinion for me. but opinions are like ********, everyone has one
Old 11-29-2007, 07:05 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

SSs did come with 3.23s std. and a PS cooler. bigger tires ect. mine came with an SLP DD.
Old 11-29-2007, 07:28 PM
On The Tree

Just my .02.

I8URSVT- please do your research before jumping in on a Z28 or an SS. Others have mentioned and chimed in with some of the differences. Most are of little performance substance and can make the SS a bit faster. They are things you can correct later and essentially make a Z28 into an SS.

But if you are unfamiliar with those differences, it is MUCH easier IMO to just bite the bullet and get the SS to start with....here are just a few key points to substantiate this for me (I bought a Z28).

- The gears as previously mentioned may be a bit different. I think they range from 2.73 to 3.23 stock. Be realistic about this though. Cause at first that appears to be a $200 cheap fix....you looking at the mess of a 3 or 4 series carrier and while your at it, trust me, your further research will lead you to want to get the whole rear replaced (as you'll find out when you read other threads here- and IT IS something you will want to do!).

- The hood. Again, as mentioned, its probably something most people who have the Z28 wouldn't mind on theirs. The hood is another $500 investment and with matching the color of a used car.....for me, its just a little headache I don't care to deal with, cause painting it to match exactly is a pain. This probably is still the more doable of my points.

- The spoiler. The more you get into this, the more you'll start to find. If you truly want that SS spoiler, its not just a matter of getting the spoiler, matching it to your paint (again) and installing it. This is all doable, until you realize you have to fill in the rear fenders that extend the spoiler to them. I hear this is quite a bit of body work. Easily a grand, just to raise the tips of the spoiler (like 3-4 inches of the ends of the spoilers) a little bit.

Conclusion- this is just the major cost inhibative parts that I have found. There is probably 1-2 more things that aren't just a quick bolt on. With this alone, as an average enthusiast, you'll probably going to need 1000 in paint work, 1500 in body work, and 1500 in parts.....minimum to do this right. Throw in an additional 1000 for those bolt on parts that make the different from Z28 to SS.

Do me a favor....*** just get either an SS, or be cool with a Z. And if you go with the Z, stay away from the body kit (sport appearance package). You'll probably want to take it off later if you get it, and it leaves holes in your body.....more body work!

Good luck with your choices. hope this helps a bit.
Old 11-29-2007, 08:09 PM
TECH Addict

A hood, Rims, Spoiler difference. oh and plus an intake that won't help untell 90+ MPH
Old 11-30-2007, 07:27 PM
TECH Addict

hood, spoiler, and wheels
Old 11-30-2007, 07:43 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by 02NHRAtransAm
where in visalia? next time i'm in fresno on a weekend i'll have to hit you up and see if anything is goin on

Originally Posted by 1meantransam
plus an intake that won't help untell 90+ MPH
last i check the SS and Z28 got the same intake i think your thinkin of the year difference and manifold's. wider tires, gears, cosmetics and the bragging rights to owning an SS is what you get who actually goes around mocking up a Z28 and says to their buddies "yeah i was a cheap *** so i just bought a Z28 and spent alot of money to make it look like an SS" it's your money do what you want
Old 11-30-2007, 07:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

If you like the look of an SS, just get an SS. JMHO
Old 11-30-2007, 07:54 PM
((((((Administrator))))))

Thread has been beat to death as much as a lid thread.

Old 11-30-2007, 07:58 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,727 Likes on 1,239 Posts

Originally Posted by MavZ28
- The gears as previously mentioned may be a bit different. I think they range from 2.73 to 3.23 stock. Be realistic about this though. Cause at first that appears to be a $200 cheap fix....you looking at the mess of a 3 or 4 series carrier and while your at it, trust me, your further research will lead you to want to get the whole rear replaced (as you'll find out when you read other threads here- and IT IS something you will want to do!).
2.73 vs 3.23 gears are about a .1 difference in the 1/4 mile. Not a big deal. And Z28s can also come with the same 3.23 gear option of the SS.

The SS is an appearance package, plain and simple. There is no significant performance difference between the two cars. The ONLY reason to buy an SS or not buy an SS comes down to price & appearance. If you don't think the hood and spoiler are worth more money, then just skip it and get the Z28.

Oh, and

Quick Reply: Z28 vs SS main differences?