General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Totaled Trans Am :(

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2007, 02:09 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know in NJ you get screwed if you have Gieco, i hear really bad things about them with cars that hold higher value than KBB suggests. My buddies 01 SS had 19k miles when it got totalled last year, Gieco tried to give him $10,800, he argued for a month and the most he got was $13,200. He got majorly screwed, had stainless headers and custom stainless exhaust to boot. He dropped them the day he cashed the check heh. Gieco is good if you own a 10 cent Honda or Mazda.
Old 12-02-2007, 02:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Gaunt
Can't mock something that doesn't exist :/
Okay that is your opinion. However, all of us dont believe the same thing as you. So please be considerate and dont talk bad about or mock other people's religions and beliefs.
Old 12-02-2007, 02:20 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

milk the **** out of them. We buy total loss cars and alllll they care about is giving you the least amount possible and selling it for the highest dollar they cn get at the salvage sale (about 20-30%) so argue and dont give up. If you raise hell and threaten to sue they WILL give you want you want.

I had a guy rear end me in my 96 Z28 (We bought it wrecked for 2200 bucks) and I ot $2,314.61 for the repairs. So in the end I got more than I payed for the car, the money it costed to fix it and then some.
Old 12-02-2007, 02:30 PM
Teching In

Initial hit was on the back right bumper when i got clipped, he was changing lanes into my lane after i had made the turn and spun me out, after correcting the spin i ended up in a 90 degree angle across the road, then the T bone occurred, and then the end position
Old 12-02-2007, 02:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

damn man that sucks

hopefully your insurance company doesnt **** u over
Old 12-02-2007, 02:38 PM
TECH Addict

Damn sorry to hear that man!
Old 12-02-2007, 02:49 PM
Teching In

Im hoping to at least get 10k, 6k to pay off the loan and 4k for a down to put on the new one i get! hah!
Old 12-02-2007, 03:06 PM
TECH Veteran

Gaunt

Continue to be a jackass and you will face a time out. We do have rules against posting religious references so knock it off.
Old 12-02-2007, 03:18 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Man... that sucks. When I got in my wreck, I just had my insurance co. deal with it all. My car wasn't totaled, but they did one hell of a job smacking Progressive around and getting me all OEM replacement parts, as well as a few other things. Just don't give up on it and you'll get what you're after.
Old 12-02-2007, 03:25 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Mexicutioner
http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d1...n/P1000055.jpg
http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d1...n/P1000063.jpg
http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d1...n/P1000064.jpg

Initial hit was on the back right bumper when i got clipped, he was changing lanes into my lane after i had made the turn and spun me out, after correcting the spin i ended up in a 90 degree angle across the road, then the T bone occurred, and then the end position
Obligatory "that'll buff out "

Man that sucks Hope the best for you and it all works out! From your sig you say stock so at least it isn't like you are losing a bunch of mods :/
Old 12-02-2007, 03:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

ouch!

I was rear ended recently however very minor hit but the frame was still pushed in alittle, I got 3 estimates took the highest one, then made up my own sheet of what I want for this accident basically I put down about half the estimate extra called it "depreciated value" so I will not settles for less, because now my car has an accident report and "frame damage" and I will lose money if i try to sell it the day after getting it fixed so I am owed that money IMO.

don't sign anything also till you happy with what u get.
Old 12-02-2007, 03:59 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MdFormula350
ouch!

I was rear ended recently however very minor hit but the frame was still pushed in alittle, I got 3 estimates took the highest one, then made up my own sheet of what I want for this accident basically I put down about half the estimate extra called it "depreciated value" so I will not settles for less, because now my car has an accident report and "frame damage" and I will lose money if i try to sell it the day after getting it fixed so I am owed that money IMO.

don't sign anything also till you happy with what u get.
Exactly, the car will never be the same cause no one wants to pay for it to get there nor cares to do good enough work.

You are totally in the right with what you did there.

They legally have to fix it even if they say no. Just ignore them and keep demanding.
Old 12-02-2007, 07:21 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 2002_Z28_Six_Speed
Don't talk to the insurance on the phone. Only mail. They just try to **** you off on the phone because it isn't documented.

I just went through this aside from the car was just F'ed up and not totaled.

Always tell them the least and don't be talkative.

It's commom practice for all phone conversations to be recorded. I can't think of any that don't.

Last edited by qwk93ta; 12-02-2007 at 07:30 PM.
Old 12-02-2007, 07:29 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 2002_Z28_Six_Speed
They legally have to fix it even if they say no. Just ignore them and keep demanding.

When you buy an insurance policy you are entering into a contract with the insurance company. The terms and conditions of the policy will determine how the claim is paid. If the loss is not covered by the policy the insurance company does not have to pay.

The advise you are offering is not going to help settle the claim, you will probably **** the claims adjuster off.
Old 12-02-2007, 08:19 PM
On The Tree

Insurance adjusters are paid to settle as cheap as they can. Start by checking the NADA value for your car with the adjustments for mileage, options, condition, ETC.. If you have new tires or recent additions that will increase the value make sure to add them on. Get them to give you a rental car so it's costing them to delay settling. If the other driver didn't have insurance you will be dealing with your company. If you can be patient they will eventually get pressure from the home office to settle and up the offer. If they insist in lowballing you tell them to find you a replacement car equal to yours. (they won't) Once you agree on a price make sure they add the cost of sales tax to the price. Don't sign a personal injury release right away( many injuries may not show up for months) and don't let them tell you they need that to pay for your car. Good luck!!
Old 12-02-2007, 08:22 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

on the injury thing, would be a good idea to see a reputable chiropractor. A few visits to one of them can save you a lot of pain and money in the long run years down the road.
Old 12-02-2007, 08:28 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Gaunt
So you can reject offers?

How does that work?
You absolutely can reject offers from insurance companies. The process is simple; when they make an offer, if it's too low just say no.

In a case like this ALWAYS talk to a lawyer. Yes, they will take a cut of whatever you get, but they know the system and will get you more in the long run. Also, most lawyers will take this case pro bono. That means if you don't get paid you don't have to pay the lawyer.
Old 12-02-2007, 08:50 PM
On The Tree

I am currently a claims adjuster. I am quitting by the end of the month because I hate the way we treat people. Most of what you all are saying is true. We usually try to settle for the lowest ultimate cost. The company that I work for, on total losses, uses the nada retail value plus taxes, less any mileage deduction, and less any pre-existing damage (ped). I would recommend running the nada on your car and having that in hand. I would also find "comparables" (like mileage, options, and condition) using autotrader, yahoo autos etc... to show that the market for Trans Am's are in demand and are holding their value nicely. I would get your insurance co involved as well many times they can be a go between with the other co and help you settle with them. This is the cold hard truth, anytime I am settling a total loss I am always asked by my supervisors "Are they injured?" Insurance companies could careless about the vehicle b/c they know that no lawyer is going to rep someone for physical damage only. There is simply no money in it. What the insurance co fears most are the landmark judgements against them from improper injury handling. Insurance is always more "giving" and "caring" when there is a injury involved. Ohh and inxurance companies generally do not care what mods were done to a vehicle b/c unless it is listed on nada it does not add value. Anyhow, like I said I am quitting by the end of this month. I have always tried ot treat people how I would want to be treated if I were in an accident, but all the insurance co's cares about is money, money, money. Feel free to send me a pm if you have any questions or problems.
Old 12-02-2007, 10:04 PM
Teching In

could i get more info on this nada?

i had my claim escalated due to injury, hats a good thing right?
Old 12-02-2007, 10:08 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by qwk93ta
When you buy an insurance policy you are entering into a contract with the insurance company. The terms and conditions of the policy will determine how the claim is paid. If the loss is not covered by the policy the insurance company does not have to pay.

The advise you are offering is not going to help settle the claim, you will probably **** the claims adjuster off.
If someone damages your car and the insurance company determines the fault is with the insured they are legally required to fix it if you can prove the damage was a direct result of the accident.

The insurance company protects the insured. If you don't like the situation sue the insured. The insurance company has to protect the insured or there is no point. They will try and stop you from sueing or they would go out of business.

I know this. I have been through it.

Originally Posted by qwk93ta
It's commom practice for all phone conversations to be recorded. I can't think of any that don't.
They can document. They can't record. If they record they can't use in court. Writing means much more than phone calls.

Quick Reply: Totaled Trans Am :(