General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

will this fool the computer

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2007 | 12:52 PM
TECH Resident

Default will this fool the computer

http://www.autosportcatalog.com/index.cfm?fa=p&pid=52 hi do you think this would work if you disconnect the battery say if you wanted to change the starter and not loose anything on the pcm/ecm ?????? simply made though
Old 12-02-2007 | 01:07 PM
TECH Senior Member

Or you could pull the starter relay so you don't have to disconnect the battery at all
Old 12-02-2007 | 02:42 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by SparkyJJO
Or you could pull the starter relay so you don't have to disconnect the battery at all
I see why they call you sparky
Go out to your car and follow the red wires off the battery, one goes straight from the battery to the starter.
When you turn the key a smaller red wire that runs from the ignition switch through the relay to a small terminal on the starter energizes the solenoid, which pulls in the gear drive and pulls a copper washer against a terminal connected to the heavy red wire and a terminal connected to the starter motor. That big red wire is obviously always energized. So you have to disconnect the battery to change the starter.
Old 12-02-2007 | 03:29 PM
TECH Senior Member

Ohh crap scratch that then lol. I hadn't looked too closely at it. Whoops!
Old 12-02-2007 | 05:47 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by 8a8mfh
I see why they call you sparky
Go out to your car and follow the red wires off the battery, one goes straight from the battery to the starter.
When you turn the key a smaller red wire that runs from the ignition switch through the relay to a small terminal on the starter energizes the solenoid, which pulls in the gear drive and pulls a copper washer against a terminal connected to the heavy red wire and a terminal connected to the starter motor. That big red wire is obviously always energized. So you have to disconnect the battery to change the starter.
READ THE POST AGAIN PLEASE THANKS.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 12-02-2007 | 07:59 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by billyb
READ THE POST AGAIN PLEASE THANKS.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
OK READING POST.

Originally Posted by billyb
http://www.autosportcatalog.com/index.cfm?fa=p&pid=52 hi do you think this would work if you disconnect the battery say if you wanted to change the starter and not loose anything on the pcm/ecm ?????? simply made though
OK, LINK TO SOME PIECE OF ****, SOMETHING ABOUT CHANGING A STARTER. POST READ AGAIN.
Old 12-02-2007 | 09:41 PM
12 Second Club

is it realy that much of a pain to reset ur clock?
are you tallking about losing a tune?
Old 12-02-2007 | 09:52 PM
((((((Administrator))))))
20 Year Member

You CAN NOT loose anything in the PCM unless you pull it out with tuning software, no matter what....period.
Your car might act stupid when the battery is re-installed for a few minutes/miles but tune will always be there.

Peace,
Craig.
Old 12-02-2007 | 10:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

I couldn't imagine having to reset the clock!!haha
Old 12-03-2007 | 04:22 AM
TECH Resident

Default this is my point,read post #4

https://ls1tech.com/forums/advanced-engineering-tech/818597-what-happens-safe-mode.html btw i was born @ night ......but not last night. lol
Old 12-03-2007 | 07:38 AM
Banned

Find something else to read. The VCM (vehicle control module) can be reflashed. Thats like writing something on a chalk board, erasing it and writing something else. There is no way in hell what was written the first time is going to come back. Same thing with your car. That post you linked to has no credibility, to me anyway.
If you want to panic and buy some piece of **** that adapts a 9 volt battery to your car then go right ahead.
Those are used by some mechanics on certain cars to avoid getting the radio locked out and to keep customers from having to reset everything in it, not to keep he 'tune' in the VCM.
Old 12-03-2007 | 10:31 AM
TECH Resident

Default ok head bitten off !!!!!!!!

i just asked a simple question !!!!!
Old 12-03-2007 | 10:36 AM
TECH Apprentice

Go ahead and disconnect the battery there's no way of loosing the tune. That idiot probally is only telling half the story. He probally forgot to disconnect the battery and shorted something out, and then disconnected it so he didn't look like a tard.
Old 12-03-2007 | 10:46 AM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

The only thing you can lose in your pcm is the long term fuel trims, which need about 25 miles of mixed driving to reset. The only other thing lost is emmisions obdII tests which also complete after 10-15 miles of driving.
Old 12-03-2007 | 11:39 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by The Alchemist
The only thing you can lose in your pcm is the long term fuel trims, which need about 25 miles of mixed driving to reset. The only other thing lost is emmisions obdII tests which also complete after 10-15 miles of driving.
+1 for someone Finally getting it right. Can't believe it took that many posts to get the truth out there.
Old 12-03-2007 | 01:16 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by radkon
+1 for someone Finally getting it right. Can't believe it took that many posts to get the truth out there.
Thats far from losing a tune. Your LTFT's constantly change when you drive so it takes 25 or so miles to get them back to the average spot they were before you disconnected the battery, so what.
I've disconnected my battery once, when I changed it. I've had the A4 out trying different converters 3 times, swapped to an M6, put headers in, never disconnected the battery during any of that. Now if you're the type that falls off a ladder trying to change a light bulb I wouldn't suggest doing all that, I'm just not very accident prone.
Old 12-03-2007 | 04:25 PM
TECH Resident

Default i-can-do !!!!!!!!!!!

hi i can hold my own,i'm a building and remodeling contractor !!! no thumbs. lol let's close this thread .
Old 12-05-2007 | 12:43 PM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Originally Posted by 8a8mfh
Thats far from losing a tune. Your LTFT's constantly change when you drive so it takes 25 or so miles to get them back to the average spot they were before you disconnected the battery, so what.
I've disconnected my battery once, when I changed it. I've had the A4 out trying different converters 3 times, swapped to an M6, put headers in, never disconnected the battery during any of that. Now if you're the type that falls off a ladder trying to change a light bulb I wouldn't suggest doing all that, I'm just not very accident prone.

I never said you're going to lose your tune. Also, I'm very happy for you doing all of that work and never disconnecting the battery. I typically don't either. But I beleive this guy asked about using this while replacing a starter, and I would highly reccomend disconnecting the battery for that job. But that's just me.

I'm not the type that falls off a ladder, but I also don't tempt fate by trying to stand on the top of a ladder on one foot and stretch to reach something. I get a longer ladder and more the ladder in order to reach something. It's called avoiding unnecessary risks.
Old 12-06-2007 | 10:52 AM
TECH Enthusiast

If you bought that stupid ****** thing for $15.00 I would slap the **** out of you.
Old 12-08-2007 | 09:42 AM
TECH Enthusiast

You can not lose your tune.

Always disconnect the the ground when working on the starter.

Its your thread, close it.