General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

..looking at v6-Ls1 converted car

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2007 | 10:07 PM
TECH Regular

Default ..looking at v6-Ls1 converted car

ok guys..first let me say I have a v6 firebird..looked..researched..and researched more about doing a swap..I was going to do it. I ran into a guy that has a 2000 firebird with an LS1 swapped motor and blown tranny.. the guy had a kid..and motor hasnt been fired in almost a year. The mods are small cam, little port/polish head work.

anything i need to look for specifically..i do have hptuners pro, and can run a scan on this car, can i learn alot by JUST an idle/rev scan?
Old 12-02-2007 | 11:31 PM
TECH Regular

anyone?
Old 12-03-2007 | 12:01 AM
11 Second Club

Check with the guys in the internal engine section, and maybe in the conversions and hybrids sections. The people in there will probably have more to say.
Old 12-03-2007 | 12:02 AM
TECH Fanatic

I would never buy a modded car, but thats just me. You NEVER know exactly what was done/how hard the guy beat on the car. Business is business, even a best friend could lie to you to make a sale.
Old 12-03-2007 | 04:42 AM
'Bird Director
20 Year Member

From: Central Indiana Honors: 4th grade spelling bee contestant

Originally Posted by FiredUpZ28
I would never buy a modded car, but thats just me. You NEVER know exactly what was done/how hard the guy beat on the car. Business is business, even a best friend could lie to you to make a sale.
You can beat on a stock f-body too.....they're still fun in stock form. Just because it's stock doesn't mean it was well taken care of......a modded car is typically enthusiast-owned (we own stock ones too), and enthusiasts tend to care more for their vehicles than non-enthusiasts. Not saying all do, but the chances are better.
Old 12-03-2007 | 06:32 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by y2k_ta
You can beat on a stock f-body too.....they're still fun in stock form. Just because it's stock doesn't mean it was well taken care of......a modded car is typically enthusiast-owned (we own stock ones too), and enthusiasts tend to care more for their vehicles than non-enthusiasts. Not saying all do, but the chances are better.
I agree 100%. If I buy a modded car I check workmanship, if things were done poorly chances are there are alot of little things to fix...then i'll pass. Alot of 100% stock cars I look at while buying cars like ours have been ridden hard and put away wet.
Old 12-03-2007 | 09:30 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by BigKap94z
I agree 100%. If I buy a modded car I check workmanship, if things were done poorly chances are there are alot of little things to fix...then i'll pass. Alot of 100% stock cars I look at while buying cars like ours have been ridden hard and put away wet.

this car will be inspectes well, i have never owned an LS car but have had my share of working on fbodys..especially my 2 v6 cars...awapped rear..pulled tranny, pulled motor.. you name it ive done it..i will REALLY be looking into how it worked the wiring harnes..etc etc
Old 12-04-2007 | 04:42 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by chetmo
this car will be inspectes well, i have never owned an LS car but have had my share of working on fbodys..especially my 2 v6 cars...awapped rear..pulled tranny, pulled motor.. you name it ive done it..i will REALLY be looking into how it worked the wiring harnes..etc etc
IMO that is the best way to go about it. Good workmanship goes along way. While looking at these things you will most likely to pick up on the condition and how it was maintained along the way.