General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.
View Poll Results: Which would you do???
Send it off for the Lingenfelter 427 package
35.71%
Trade in on a C6 Z06 and loss your ass on the trade
64.29%
Voters: 42. You may not vote on this poll

Has Anyone Ever Sent There Car To Lingenfelter???

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2007, 11:47 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What difference does it make what model car it is if he's not going to drive it? If he's looking for an investment, he's looking in the wrong place. The LPE package is just throwing good $$ after bad as far as an investment is concerned.

if you are not going to drive them, why not just shut the garage door, tell people you have both cars, and invest the $$ elsewhere.
Old 12-04-2007, 11:56 AM
TECH Fanatic

z06
Old 12-04-2007, 01:32 PM
Staging Lane

Z06 For sure! I love my Camaro but I stopped building it up to save for a C6Z. I think even when the blown 6.2's are rolling off the line they still won't have the chest pounding bragging rights that a 427cid LS7 can offer. I'd like to take a C6Z to Katech for H/C work rather than the LPE imo. Having said that, a car won't really appreciate in value unless it happens to be something special and is stored, but what's the fun in that? A true sports car enthusiast would never do this but instead kiss his palm and slap the dash as the odometer rolls past 100k.

These cars were made to be experienced, envied, enjoyed, and driven...

Hard.
Old 12-04-2007, 02:15 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by TYR_FRYR
What difference does it make what model car it is if he's not going to drive it? If he's looking for an investment, he's looking in the wrong place. The LPE package is just throwing good $$ after bad as far as an investment is concerned.

if you are not going to drive them, why not just shut the garage door, tell people you have both cars, and invest the $$ elsewhere.
An investment. That buddy, is called a contradiction. You don't buy a car for an investment. Especially a newer one...

If you want an investment, open up a CD at 3.9% interest rate before the new year(interest rates are going down according to sources close to the FED). Maybe a mutual fund is another possibility? But please, don't put money into a car, thinking it will be a good investment. Cars are meant to be driven, not garage queens. I pity the people who bought their car brand new and have driven it less than 5k miles. I mean, why did you buy it then? What I really find funny though, is the people who then try to sell their low mile cars for about or OVER retail sticker NEW...
Old 12-04-2007, 02:33 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by StoleIt
LPE is so expensive because it offers a warranty. Name another performance shop that warranties for 3 years or 36K (not sure the exact numbers).

Most people don't go to LPE for the performance, but for the name, the history, and the reliability.

Back on topic, don't mod that virgin SS. Sell it, buy a z06 and rape the **** out of 98% of cars on the road.

I strong disagree. A stock Z06 isn't anything special. Sure its fast, but rare? Exotic? Collectible? No. No. No.
HELL yess, I love it!
Old 12-04-2007, 02:50 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,685 Likes on 1,207 Posts

Originally Posted by The Black Mamba
I pity the people who bought their car brand new and have driven it less than 5k miles.
We don't need your pity.

My '98 has been driven an average of 1,400 miles per year, and I feel no shame in that. That's more than 5k total, but I'm sure it still fits your definition of barely driving it.

Originally Posted by The Black Mamba
I mean, why did you buy it then?
Simple, when I do take the car out, it's really something special. It's not worn out, it doesn't show it's age (going on 10 years but looks no more than 6 months old), and there's just something cool (to me) about having a limited use F-body that still looks and drives as close to new as possibile. Some of us really enjoy having a car that's almost as good as new, and just because we don't drive it 20k miles per year doesn't mean that we aren't enjoying it all the same.

When you drive a car every day, it shows the age and wear. When you drive a car in bad weather (like the winter salt flats of Chicago), it ages quickly. Park them in the sun all day, every day, and they begin to fade; the interior dries out, fades and cracks, and the paint loses some luster. Cruise the expressway day after day and the paint & glass get pelted with rock chips. You get the picture. After 10 years of that, no car is going to look fresh and new anymore, no matter how much you wash & wax it.

I like to be able to relive the moment that I bought my first brand new V8 F-body every time I take my '98 out. It still smells new inside, and still looks new inside & out. Some people could care less, and I would never expect them to understand. But for those of us that get it, trust me when I say it's fun.

Now, I do agree that it's great to have a car as fun as an LS1 F-body to drive on a regular basis. In fact, I recently bought a 70k mile '02 car just for that purpose....to drive. To me this is now the best of both worlds.... I've got the show car/garage queen for those special times when I want to drive a "brand new" V8 F-body, or take home a trophy from a car show; and for any other time I've got the average mileage driver, just for the fun of driving a V8 F-body.
Old 12-04-2007, 03:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

if he wants the an investment car, FORGET about any type of modification
He needs to get those stock wheels/tires off and store them properly (stacked up on their sides, in vacuum sealed bags, under blankets away from sunlight). Then the oil needs changing ever few months. Put stabil in the tank.
Keep up the maintenance for the next 25-35 years, and then it will be worth some serious $$$.

If I was wanting to make some more money over time, I'de rather just bump up the risk in my 401k, and increase the deposit rate.
Old 12-04-2007, 03:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

Option 1: Z06
Option 2: send SS to Katech
Old 12-05-2007, 12:24 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by kerryt1
Option 1: Z06
Option 2: send SS to Katech
That's not a bad idea. The SS would be plenty fast with a head/cam swap. Plus, you are probably talking almost 1/4 of the price. I bet that 427 is atleast 20k.
Old 12-05-2007, 08:23 PM
Staging Lane

keep em both im pretty sure the 02 is paid off...not gonna get but about 7k-9k for it anyway..even with less than 2000 miles..thats not that much when your talking about 78000
Old 12-05-2007, 08:30 PM
On The Tree

yeah mods wont add any value to the camaro, if he wants a nice car to drive occasionally that will accumulate value i'd look into an original muscle car from the late 60s, early 70s. the Z06 would be very tempting. i'd love to have one, just not in my budget. i know this is an lsx board but if your dad is looking into a Z06 he might also want to look at a 08 Viper. it's pricier, but at least in my opinion makes the Z06 look tame. it's faster and will likely retain more of its value due to the fact that there are fewer of them out there. not that a Z06 would be a bad choice by any means.
Old 12-05-2007, 08:45 PM
Staging Lane

In reading everyones posts about there car and when/how they drive it.
I would never buy a new car of have a "garage queen". The reason being is the car is NO FUN TO ME STOCK OR UNDER A COVER. My camaro is my weekend warrior. The mileage will be about 5-6k a year with no bad weather except for that one rain storm on the way back from the races or car show. I

I would sell the car get the cash and get the vette
Old 12-05-2007, 08:50 PM
11 Second Club

This is a no brainer! Sell the freakin camaro and get the ZO6 those cars are awesome!
Old 12-05-2007, 09:01 PM
Launching!

Default LPE is Top Quality

I personally had my car done by LPE and they are hands down one of the best out there. I love the warantee you just cant beat it 3 year 36000 miles who wouldnt you love that. I dont think it will raise the value of your SS but it will definatly turn heads at local car shows and at the track when people see that your car has an LPE motor TRUST ME!!! Plus they are so much fun to drive you can literally drive it like you stole it hahahaha !!!!! I had my car done with 12XXX miles on it and I have 24XXX on it and I have not had 1 sinlge problem with it. Thats the craftsmanship of LPE (top quality).. But on the other hand a Nice C6 Zo6 would look great side by side in the garage.......BB..........SVTKILR
Old 12-05-2007, 09:36 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by RPM WS6

My '98 has been driven an average of 1,400 miles per year, and I feel no shame in that. That's more than 5k total, but I'm sure it still fits your definition of barely driving it.
Not to hijack, and I am not trying to crap on ya, but how do you manage not to drive it? I put about 6,000 km on my car this year & I don't drive it to work (hate leaving it in parking lots). I understand people who wanna keep the mileage down, but I can't do it, if it's nice out, I just wanna pull the tops off and take it for a cruise, I can't help but wanna drive mine.

So might as well go back on track, if I had money for a z06, I'd buy one, and put about 10k in mileage on that baby a summer.
Old 12-06-2007, 05:09 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Originally Posted by Canuck13
Not to hijack, and I am not trying to crap on ya, but how do you manage not to drive it?
I explained that in another part of my post that you quoted.

I've got an average mileage '02 LS1 now for more regular use. The '98 is strictly for perfect weather/special occasions/car shows.
Old 12-06-2007, 06:51 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Benny Blanco
I personally had my car done by LPE and they are hands down one of the best out there. I love the warantee you just cant beat it 3 year 36000 miles who wouldnt you love that. I dont think it will raise the value of your SS but it will definatly turn heads at local car shows and at the track when people see that your car has an LPE motor TRUST ME!!! Plus they are so much fun to drive you can literally drive it like you stole it hahahaha !!!!! I had my car done with 12XXX miles on it and I have 24XXX on it and I have not had 1 sinlge problem with it. Thats the craftsmanship of LPE (top quality).. But on the other hand a Nice C6 Zo6 would look great side by side in the garage.......BB..........SVTKILR
So what did all did you have done?
Old 12-06-2007, 07:34 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Originally Posted by JC_Engineered
keep em both im pretty sure the 02 is paid off...not gonna get but about 7k-9k for it anyway..even with less than 2000 miles..thats not that much when your talking about 78000
Trading it in at a dealer for $7-9k would be about as dumb as shooting yourself in the face.

I like the SS, more than a ZO6 actually.

Brads LS1 02Z, if you guys decide to sell the car, let me know....send a PM or something with your asking price. I won't pay anything crazy like $30k, but I'd give you a lot more than a dealer will on trade. Normally I wouldn't even consider buying a car without seeing it first, but I might make an exception for a 1k mile '02 car.
Old 12-06-2007, 01:30 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by RPM WS6
Trading it in at a dealer for $7-9k would be about as dumb as shooting yourself in the face.

I like the SS, more than a ZO6 actually.

Brads LS1 02Z, if you guys decide to sell the car, let me know....send a PM or something with your asking price. I won't pay anything crazy like $30k, but I'd give you a lot more than a dealer will on trade. Normally I wouldn't even consider buying a car without seeing it first, but I might make an exception for a 1k mile '02 car.
Sorry not for sale...
Old 12-06-2007, 02:05 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RE AND CHERYL

One more thing. Since he has only put 1k on it in 5 years. What is the point of doing anything to it anyway. It will never get driven like it's supposed to. IMO he should sell the car and buy a Honda he will actually drive.

Cars are ment to be driven, not braged about while they rot in the garage. (sorry if they offended anyone)

Re'
I agree. I have no idea how you can look at that car for 5 years and not drive it.
unless we're talking 1000 strip passes.(and returns and burnouts)

Sounds like he has a fair amount of money so if it's coolness he wants imho a lingenfelter SS with all the fixins tops a ZO6. barely