General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

LS1 heads on SBF?!?!

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2009, 08:01 AM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Its been known for quite some time that Robert Yates helped GM design the LS1 heads. I knew this kind of stuff would start leaking out before too long. No big deal though, just makes the General look smarter for pulling good ideas from here and there and making something better.
Old 01-13-2011, 04:59 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sorry to revive an old thread everyone.

I don't see how anyone could think that the two engines were designed off of each other. Some say you have to modify the bolt holes for the heads. The bore pitch is off, some of the coolant passages have to be blocked off, the intake and exhaust valves are inverse from one to the other. Too much is different at that point to say they are designed off of each other if you ask me.

Oh look those two engines have pistons, they are clearly a copy of one another.. Just doesn't add up to me haha.
Old 01-13-2011, 05:22 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Ethan[ws6]
Sorry to revive an old thread everyone.

I don't see how anyone could think that the two engines were designed off of each other. Some say you have to modify the bolt holes for the heads. The bore pitch is off, some of the coolant passages have to be blocked off, the intake and exhaust valves are inverse from one to the other. Too much is different at that point to say they are designed off of each other if you ask me.

Oh look those two engines have pistons, they are clearly a copy of one another.. Just doesn't add up to me haha.
trust me, youre better off not reading into the bs dumbass ford guys think or opine about the ls series. they either get it or they dont.
Old 01-17-2011, 11:18 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

^^^Not only that, if its off of a Ford design, why isn't there a set of heads for Ford already? That would take from having to bolt up a Chevy motor heads into a Ford.
Old 01-18-2011, 12:26 AM
TECH Fanatic

i seriously hope nobody influencial thinks an LS motor is based off a ford design...

who cares though. use what works. i'm putting a ford 8.8 in my car. why? because it's stronger than GM's POS 10 bolt. i'm not building my car to represent a logo, i'm building my car for my purposes.
Old 03-22-2011, 05:37 AM

so yea i got on here to see if you were different from the chevy guys i use to wipe the track with but you are not. Heres the fact of the matter, the man that designed the LS motor designed it for ford first. But thanks for ford being in bed with jaguar(this is what makes me mad) they decided to stay modular. Now for the part wich I know you all will hate. Chevy had to buy the ford design to make your camarros fast. So suck on that one time.
Old 03-22-2011, 05:43 AM

Default sorry bout that last post

Now I need some help been on the stang forums and on here. I am trying to find about a cam for my 351w with LQ9 heads. I am worrying that no matter how I look at it the exhaust lobe will always come around first and in tern make the exhaust valve act like the intake valve. This is a big concern of mine. So if anyone on here is a true gear head and does not care about bow ties, ovals or horns please help me out. Oh one last thing my car is not a stang i despise mustangs. The guys that drive most of them think if its got a gt badge its fast. Mine is a B body ford.
Old 03-22-2011, 11:18 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by PICNIC_GEORGE
With the bore spacing off by .020(4.4 ls1, 4.38 sbf) there is only a .060 variation between cylinder 1 and cylinder 7. I'm sure that's great for chamber shrouding and/or air flow. Or are fords numbered 1234 not 1357 per bank? I don't know, it's a ford. You can try to make it chevy all you want. But it's still a ford. Circle the problem.

Fords are numbered 1234 on the right bank and 5678 on the left bank. The complete opposite of GM and Mopar which arrangement alternates from left bank to right bank
Old 03-22-2011, 01:11 PM
Staging Lane

Ls351w I don't know where you get your info on ford designing the ls motor but they didn't. I have a book on the history of the ls engines and it was all designed in house at gm. I am not going to get into a pissing match with you about it but you are dead wrong.
Old 04-01-2011, 02:42 PM
11 Second Club

Received 118 Likes on 92 Posts

I heard Ford spins the other way...

Old 04-02-2011, 11:36 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by the_merv
I heard Ford spins the other way...

Old 04-02-2011, 11:58 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by LS351W
so yea i got on here to see if you were different from the chevy guys i use to wipe the track with but you are not. Heres the fact of the matter, the man that designed the LS motor designed it for ford first. But thanks for ford being in bed with jaguar(this is what makes me mad) they decided to stay modular. Now for the part wich I know you all will hate. Chevy had to buy the ford design to make your camarros fast. So suck on that one time.

Ed Koerner was the original Gen III chief engineer. Always worked for GM not FORD
Old 04-02-2011, 07:49 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RE AND CHERYL
If your using the LS1 heads, why not just use the rest of the motor too.

Re'
+1

Ford does spin the other way too, LOL.

Quick Reply: LS1 heads on SBF?!?!